C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

awd C6 Corvette info request

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default awd C6 Corvette info request

Hello:

I have a C6 based sub-frame for my 1st generation Camaro. I am looking at a mid engine design, and would love to have AWD or 4wd for heavy track use.

Can anyone shed any light as to what if anything would work to get some drive to the front wheels? I don't care if it is shaft or chain driven. I'm just looking for some type of differential that might work using the C6 parts in thee configuration mentioned above.

If you need more information just ask.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Im curious as to what type of tranny and transfer case you plan to use.

Maybe a DANA of some variant, perhaps from a Jeep?
Old 11-09-2012, 04:24 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Im curious as to what type of tranny and transfer case you plan to use.

Maybe a DANA of some variant, perhaps from a Jeep?
================================
Actually I am still looking. Since I haven't seen any examples, I thought I would just throw out a hook and see if anyone had any ides.

I'll let you know when/if I find anything.

Hopefully if anyone has any ideas they will give tis a shout.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 AM
07atomic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This maybe way out in left field but what about a s10 4x4 set up rad rides by Troy built summit racing a coupe some years back that was AWD that's what he used based of one of a s10 blazer chassis it was a cyclone chassis I think.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:14 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you can find one of the older v drive after market conversion kits that would work. It will allow you to keep the chassis as low as you want.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:37 PM
rowdymax
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eldorado front end (front wheel drive) Jeep transfer case. Corvette frame...Driven daily over 300,000 miles..Galvanized frame...

Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
07atomic
Instructor

Holy ****!!!!! Need that at the local mud bog hell yesss looks like some **** colt ford would write a song about!!!!! I will say this BadAss
Old 11-10-2012, 04:12 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rowdymax
Eldorado front end (front wheel drive) Jeep transfer case. Corvette frame...Driven daily over 300,000 miles..Galvanized frame...

Is this a car that you have seen run?

Do you have any pictures from under the hood or from the bottom of the car?

How is the handling on the road?

Was this car part of a specific club?

BTW: Thank you for posting it, this has given me some hope.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 11-10-2012, 10:33 AM
rowdymax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tyoneal
Is this a car that you have seen run?

Do you have any pictures from under the hood or from the bottom of the car?

How is the handling on the road?

Was this car part of a specific club?

BTW: Thank you for posting it, this has given me some hope.

Thanks,

Ty
Ty,

This is a friend of mines car. He drives it everyday and I have been in it numerous times over the last 35 years. He drives it on the beach daily and goes fishing. Dewey is a legend at the shore we go to and a great mechanic. He built it by himself from the ground up. He has had to re-build it over a couple times due to the salt and corrosion.
He currently has a HEMI in it just to make people go WTF?? This photo was at a show we did in Atlantic City a couple years ago. It was called Strictly Corvettes. No club, we have just been friends a long time and just hang out, We've done a bunch of shows together this year but I don't think we will be doing anymore now with the weather changing here. So not sure I will get any pics of what your asking for for a while now.
The ride is more truck like, not going to feel like a C6 today. He uses coilovers from a race car so the suspension is stiff. Also, the headroom on the passenger side is limited due to the transfer case. It started as a 69 Vette, but he has used many body parts from late 70's. He molded all the flares himself. His exhaust is 4" and the car runs strong. Before the HEMI, he had a 454 with Rajay twin turbos and he made all the parts himself..
As far as doing this for the newer generation, you will need something more on the lines of Porsche or Subaru AWD systems, smaller and won't change the ride height or ride of the car. Big project, good luck with that.
If I can get some pictures the next time at the shore, I will and send them to you...

Scott
Old 11-10-2012, 12:20 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Subaru (WRX/STi), BMW (328xi, 335xi), Nissian (GTR), Porsche, and others all have AWD setups you could look to for parts that would be suitable for use on a road course. Anything else is going to be out of a 4x4 truck and in general that's not going to work for "heavy track use". You might want to look around at what some of the rally car guys run as well. Regardless, you'll have to do some serious modifications to fit things in and the cost...well....it must be a labor of love.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:36 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

You'd be better off taking the drivetrain or chassis out of a Trailblazer SS.

It's already AWD and powered by a 400+hp LS motor.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
ylovette
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

How about the Cadillac AWD units. Unsure of current models, but the SRX used the Haldex AWD System and may be more easily obtained. Adaptation may be another story.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:58 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rowdymax

That is cool Scott! I definitely have to check that out next time we get together.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:59 PM
vettekid05
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

that is pretty wicked!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:29 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art

=================================
It sounds like a decent idea. I have looked, and I'm having a difficult time finding some decent schematics to give me a start seeing about a adaptation.

Are there a couple of site that show this type of information?

I know this sound like a easy question to solve but to see the actual parts assembled with some specification is alluding me.

Thanks always for your help and thoughts.

Sincerely,

Ty
Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art

TB SS tranny set up is about as strong as Steve Urkel.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:42 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ylovette
How about the Cadillac AWD units. Unsure of current models, but the SRX used the Haldex AWD System and may be more easily obtained. Adaptation may be another story.
=====================================
I love all this help, thanks everyone so much.

Ok, I'm a dork is a SRX a Subaru model, and who builds the Haldex AWD System?

I am going to start searching all this to see what I can find so I might have these questions solved soon but this point these are a couple of questions I have. I'll see what I can find.

I'm going to check out the cars first just because they are close to what I would need right off the bat as far as application.

More soon.

Ty

Get notified of new replies

To awd C6 Corvette info request

Old 11-21-2012, 09:14 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Hello:

I've been following up with the Subaru WRX, and evidently they are pretty well thought of.

Been also searching for what would need top be done, to maintaining the C6 Suspension attributes and get half shafts out to the wheels.

==========================
I would like to bounce an idea off you all since this car will be anything but stock.

I was seeing what kind of room I have in my car, and also found and started watching some of those youtube links on Motorcycle powered cars.
============== BTW:
The current drive train I have in the car works decently for a Bowtie Block 400 ci, roller, small block. (550 hp +/-) and a 5 speed 3xxx series tranny rated at less than the engine, but shifts fine and has a brand new clutch) It is not very street friendly however and none of the great attribute of the LS Engines. (I could always try EFI, but that is $1000+)

At one point I thought about putting a 3.8 GN Buick Turbo engine in it. I have just been trying to think outside the box since doing something everyone else has done is just another car. Problem is I really dislike the sound of almost all 4 and 6 cyl engnes except for those running at about 10k+ rpms, then WOW!

Back to the AWD line of thinking.

Most of the cars currently using AWD have a hellacous amount of electronics involved with them, whereas my 69 at the moment is just a old fashion Hotrod.

In a period of weakness or insanity, I started thinking about nesting 2-4 Hayabusa Engines in the car.

1) At a stock 175 hp each it adds up quickly
2) Transmissions are included and are Sequential Shifted
3) Huge after market
4) Found some common items like being able to Flat shift these engines all the way up at the push of a single button
5) On the way down Auto blipping is supplied on another button
6) All engines can be coordinated in all the different shifting duties.
7) Shifts at 10-11k

Can be bought in good shape for about 2k each. Already a lot cheaper than going the other way and for 10-12k you will have 700 hp in stock trim, plus stock sequential shifting, so reliability seems possible.

Cruising down the highway, turn 2 or 3 engines off. (Great gas mileage) If one craps out on you, there are always spare(s).

Shorten rear drive shaft and mount the open end with some good bearings, then mount the engine(s) Sideways using the original chain drives to turn drive shaft(s).

Do the same thing in front, they would be two seperate units.

The engines are relatively small and lightweight, could be added to over time.

Use Battery for PS/PB.

Focus on finding best FWD, based on size strength and price, any brand would work.

"IF" and I use this cautiously, something like this could be put together, it would be a very custom, out of the box, build. Have heaps of power, and sound like an F1 Symphony when it was time to haul the mail.

Anyway, I'm back off the Drugs now, so please don't flame me to bad for being silly.

I do realize it is very unorthodox, and I'm not even sure it is a possibility, or would be worth a damn if it were built.

All thoughts are welcome, and I'll start working on the research on the other FWD Brands you brought to my attention.

Thanks for reading, and I do really appreciate any comments or thoughts you care to offer.

I'm leaving town for the Holidays, so I'll be back next week.

Have a safe and great Thanks Giving. If you are alone, or know someone who is, let them know and share a meal with them. It a cool time to spend time with someone other than "Just" family, plus it's in the spirit of the Holiday.

Despite the elections, we are still blessed to be here to have the time to be able to Bullsh*t with each other about the frivolous things we enjoy, instead of merely surviving.

God Bless you all.

Sincerely,

Ty O'Neal
Old 11-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

That thing looks awesome!!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Don Nolan
Instructor