C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Default Alternator Capacity?

We don't get hurricanes in Illinois, but every year a windstorm typically causes us to lose power for 1-3 days.

Gasoline generators are expensive and people seem to have a lot of problems with them.
Consumer Reports recently tested and recommended a couple of power inverters that can be run off your car battery, while running the engine so the alternator keeps the battery charged. There are many other models available.

I wouldn't want to buy an inverter that would overload/ruin the alternator in our C6 or our two other cars (2005 and 2011 Toyota Camry), so I need to know what the C6 (2009 coupe) alternator is rated for, and if it's ok to run it for hours on end at the full rated load.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

To answer the question asked, I believe the alternator in the C6 is rated at 100 amps. I would not suggest using the car with an inverter to supply 110 volt current though. I believe that generators are actually fairly inexpensive. $700 can get you a good one that will supply far more power more reliably than a Corvette.

At 100 amps, the alternator will only make about 1200 watts at max rated output. Some of this must run the car's electrical system, some will be lost when converting to A/C in the inverter. For $700, you can have a generator that will supply you net net 3,000 to 4,000 watts of 110 volt A/C.

Last edited by cclive; 11-06-2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing to remember is that the alternator is not putting out maximum at idle, the RPM's need to be up to a certain point to get the max. Do you want to run the car that way for hours at a time?

For the power you would be getting out of the car, you would be better off with a $300 generator.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Our neighbors with gasoline generators seem to have endless problems with them-
Must store extra gasoline
Must drain the tank for indoor storage, or store outside
Must start it periodically to avoid engine problems
Numerous misc problems when they actually try to use the generator

We don't need big wattage-
Big woodstove keeps the house warm
Gas grill for cooking
Gravity drain septic system
Big hot water heater for emergency water supply, and pond next door. Plus bottled water

We've been there and done that for 30 years here. But it would be nice to have a simple system that can run the refrigerator and freezer enough to keep food from spoiling. If that can be done with a no-maintenance inverter, that's my choice. We have 3 cars to connect to, so there will be enough gasoline and 2 "backup" cars (Corvette would be used last).
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I don't believe that a car would put out enough power to run one refrigerator. Also, an inverter big enough to do that would be big and expensive and also require some sort of direct connection to the car's electrical system because a cigarette lighter plug is only good for about 20 amps max...which is only 240 watts. I would estimate that a refrigerator would require at least 1,000 watts at startup.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Consumer Reports had a short report on a 900w and 1,500w inverter (June). Tested in their lab and apparently satisfactory, no adverse comments. Used at a staffer's house during a power outage, the smaller unit was able to power a refrigerator and sump pump at the same time.

The prices were $80 and $180. Size is "shoebox", not a problem to keep in the garage.

They did say you want to connect directly to the battery, not use the cig lighter plug.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
To answer the question asked, I believe the alternator in the C6 is rated at 100 amps. I would not suggest using the car with an inverter to supply 110 volt current though. I believe that generators are actually fairly inexpensive. $700 can get you a good one that will supply far more power more reliably than a Corvette.

At 100 amps, the alternator will only make about 1200 watts at max rated output. Some of this must run the car's electrical system, some will be lost when converting to A/C in the inverter. For $700, you can have a generator that will supply you net net 3,000 to 4,000 watts of 110 volt A/C.
Are there any optional heavy duty alternators available for the Corvette like the old Mustangs (optional) heavy duty130 amp alternator?
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Our neighbors with gasoline generators seem to have endless problems with them-
Must store extra gasoline
Must drain the tank for indoor storage, or store outside
Must start it periodically to avoid engine problems
Numerous misc problems when they actually try to use the generator
Let me see if I got this right. You are going to run a $12,000 engine to make something less that 1500 watts. Now I have spent a dozen years dry camping with generators and a 1000W inverter. The last 5 years with a pair of Honda EU2000s. (under $900 each delivered) They were and still are trouble free. They are quiet and easy on gas. I start mine every three months just to cycle a little fuel through the carbs. No need to drain the fuel ever. I do keep ten gallons of gas on hand to refuel my ATV, mowers, snow blowers etc. Later! Frank

Last edited by fnsblum; 11-06-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:14 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by LS WON
Are there any optional heavy duty alternators available for the Corvette like the old Mustangs (optional) heavy duty130 amp alternator?
The increase would not be significant anyway. 30 extra amps is only an extra 360 watts. To do anything meaningful with 110 volt devices, we need to be talking in thousands of watts, not hundreds. To properly utilize the power of the car, the engine should be connected to a generator that is similar in size to the engine itself.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by fnsblum
Let me see if I got this right. You are going to run a $12,000 engine to make something less that 1500 watts. Now I have spent a dozen years dry camping with generators and a 1000W inverter. The last 5 years with a pair of Honda EU2000s. (under $900 each delivered) They were and still are trouble free. They are quiet and easy on gas. I start mine every three months just to cycle a little fuel through the carbs. No need to drain the fuel ever. I do keep ten gallons of gas on hand to refuel my ATV, mowers, snow blowers etc. Later! Frank
I run the $12,000 engine to drive a couple of miles and buy a $3 burger, so I don't see a problem. Running the engine to power an inverter is probably easier on the car than driving into Chicago in stop & go rush hour traffic on a hot day. By using the engine; I avoid buying the separate generator, maintaining same, storing gas, etc. We don't have anything at our house that requires keeping cans of gasoline around, and that's fine with me. The CR article indicated they were happy with the setup and had no indications of problems.

If I were going to do this on a regular basis, or had only one car, that would be different. But running the inverter 1-3 days per year, split among three cars, for a few hours each day, seems pretty easy.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:45 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
The increase would not be significant anyway. 30 extra amps is only an extra 360 watts. To do anything meaningful with 110 volt devices, we need to be talking in thousands of watts, not hundreds. To properly utilize the power of the car, the engine should be connected to a generator that is similar in size to the engine itself.
Well the performance switching over to the 130 AMP alternator was a big improvement on my 1988 5.0 fox Mustang GT which had the factory alternator. Might be the reason why battery lasts longer now? But difference is day and night. The factory electrical system on 5.0 had problems to begin with fog lights flickering off and on.
Was just wondering if this was available to Corvette.
When the Highway Patrol here used the Mustang 5.0 in the 80's to 93 as pursuit vehicles they used this 130 AMP alternator for all of that extra electrical equipment like lights and siren. They also added silicone hoses and extra pan / seat reinforcement.

Last edited by LS WON; 11-07-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:46 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

But it would be nice to have a simple system that can run the refrigerator and freezer enough to keep food from spoiling.
A much lower priced option could possibly handle the short term problems.

A fully loaded fridge and freezer is far more energy efficient than partially filled. So fill up any empty space with water, which when frozen or chilled will provide a heatsink during a power failure.
Since you have both a freezer and fridge, you can use the fridge freezer for ice storage.

If the power outage lasts more than a couple days, invite the neighbors over for dinner to use up some of the food and have them bring the generator too.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

That's basically what we've done, and we also buy extra ice if the power outage is very local.

Not many small generators in the neighborhood now, many folks have converted to those big honkin' units that run on natural gas and start/transfer automatically. I'm too cheap to spend $7k+ to get one, rather spend the money on the Corvette.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:38 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

That's basically what we've done, and we also buy extra ice if the power outage is very local.

Not many small generators in the neighborhood now, many folks have converted to those big honkin' units that run on natural gas and start/transfer automatically. I'm too cheap to spend $7k+ to get one, rather spend the money on the Corvette.
Sam's club had a small one 5000w or so that runs on propane for some where around $500
no carb problems with this set up
Old 11-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I was curious as to how you will make sure no one steals your car if you leave it with the engine running?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

The most effective way to run the house is to get yourself a residential generator Vs a portable generator. You can get a nice 7K Watt generator for about $2K that runs on either natural gas or propane and comes with an automatic transfer switch. It will power your critical items and some lighting and all you have to do to test it is throw the main circuit breaker once per month. If you have a propane tank you need to size it so you can run at least a week on the amount in the tank. I was just looking at one of these in the Northern Tool catalog that just popped into my email today. NG or LP engines don't make as much noise as a gasoline engine so that helps as well. Hooked up to a NG line you could have pretty much an endless supply of electricity as long as the utility's pumps keep pumping gas into the line. You would have spend a another couple of K to change the gas inlet to the house to handle the extra gas pressure required by the generator without blowing the lower pressure appliances in the house.

Bill
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Sam's club had a small one 5000w or so that runs on propane for some where around $500
no carb problems with this set up
The propane idea is interesting, I'd need to keep several bottles at hand but AFAIK the propane doesn't deteriorate. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
I was curious as to how you will make sure no one steals your car if you leave it with the engine running?
The crime rate around here is incredibly low, we live in an area of about 75 houses and I've only known one burglary in the last 30 years.

But we could block it in with another car.
Or lock a chain around a wheel/suspension to make a "boot".

Get notified of new replies

To Alternator Capacity?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:20 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

propane doesn't seem to go bad and the good part is a couple of spares are cheap and also run the grill
Old 11-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

But we could block it in with another car.
that is what I had suspected

you can additionally manually lock the car with the FOB after getting out
Old 11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
red2012
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

We don't get hurricanes in Illinois, but every year a windstorm typically causes us to lose power for 1-3 days.

Gasoline generators are expensive and people seem to have a lot of problems with them.
Consumer Reports recently tested and recommended a couple of power inverters that can be run off your car battery, while running the engine so the alternator keeps the battery charged. There are many other models available.

I wouldn't want to buy an inverter that would overload/ruin the alternator in our C6 or our two other cars (2005 and 2011 Toyota Camry), so I need to know what the C6 (2009 coupe) alternator is rated for, and if it's ok to run it for hours on end at the full rated load.

Suggestions?
Thanks!
hey jim, i am running as we speak a 1000w inverter (continuous power 2000w surge) from my 93 deville and no problems. its plugged in the cigarette lighter and i use it about 6 hrs day. I run the lights, small tv, cable box and some other small items including charging up various cell phones, tablets and the like. thanks to hurricane sandy i have resorted to this method as a generator is not possible where i live. they say i will have my power back tomorrow but not holding my breath. its been 11 days now without power and my patience is wearing thin. i cant even drive my vette to get rid of some stress because it snowed a little here yesterday so that is not a option. BTW start up time for a fridge is 1200w but it only takes 200w to keep it running too much power at start up for me to take a chance with the inverter. so no ice cream!

Last edited by red2012; 11-08-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Alternator Capacity?