C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver seat controls not working

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:47 PM
ergodic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver seat controls not working

I have a 2008 coupe with power seats (3lt).

The two smaller switches that control the lumbar support and butt support air bladders on the driver's seat have stopped working. (The up/down and front/back controls still operate.)

I can't see anything obviously wrong at the seat plug end - as best I can see it. It looks like the seat control cable goes under the carpet and then to God-knows-where.

Just wondering if there's there anything I could/should be looking at -- before I take it to the dealer?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:23 PM
mike72
Pro

I would check the fuse first. Don't know which one but they are labeled.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by mike72
I would check the fuse first. Don't know which one but they are labeled.
The seats have more than one fuse?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,054 Likes on 826 Posts

Recently another member had the same/similar problem, an entire thread was dedicated to it. Required replacing switches. Even had pics how to remove the cover, which IIRC had a trick. Otherwise replacing switches themslves didn't look difficult.

Sorry I haven't the link, hopefully a search will turn it up.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 AM
ergodic
Intermediate

I think I may have found the problem. But what to do about it is a puzzle.

When I pulled out the big purple connector (at the front of the seat) and checked carefully I discovered a red/white wire that pretty clearly has broken off.

Here's what I see with everything pulled out and apart:

There are two smaller red/white wires to this block. One is still on the connector, the other you see sticking out is the one I think has broken off. It doesn't look like an unconnected lead to me - it seems the end corroded a bit and just broke off.

The problem is that I can't find any place on the !*@!! block where that wire should connect. And I spent about 30 miserable, neck-bending, knuckle-busting minutes trying to find one.

There are wires currently connected to all the pins, and I don't see any pin where two wires might have been crimped together, though that's kind of hard to tell. (If someone with a power seat could take a look and tell me I'd be eternally grateful at this point.)

It is a red/white wire. And according to the schematics in the manual (sec. 14) as best I can tell that wire color all seems to designate 12V. Other than that I can't make much sense out of the prints in relation to these connector blocks. But it does look like there's just one fuse for all the controls so likely not that.

I'm tempted to just pull back the insulation on one of the other R/W lines and clip this one on and see if that takes care of it. If it does I can make it a permanent fix. I figure the worse that can happen is I blow a fuse.

Or is this a Really Bad Plan?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:49 AM
ergodic
Intermediate

Just for benefit of anyone searching this thread in the future, that wire was the issue.

I still have no idea where that wire ever was connected. Every pin already has a wire. But I clipped the other 16ga connected red/white wire that was on that block and did a 3-way solder / shrinkwrap splice with the broken-off one, and problem solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Driver seat controls not working

Quick Reply: Driver seat controls not working