C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper Speed Too Fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:03 PM
5W30
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
I waited to see if anyone else would come up with this "Idea"....I guess not..

All he has to do is REMOVE THE WINDSHIELD and "walla" he'll never have a problem with his wipers being too fast or to slow...
It's cool man, you can talk directly to me. I'm the one looking for feedback after all.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 5W30
It's cool man, you can talk directly to me. I'm the one looking for feedback after all.
I was just trying to "lighten" up the thread... not offense was meant, If I offended you I AM sorry....I thought most if not all solutions were posted by the time I posted..

Again sorry if I crossed the line..
Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I waited to see if anyone else would come up with this "Idea"....I guess not..

All he has to do is REMOVE THE WINDSHIELD and "walla" he'll never have a problem with his wipers being too fast or to slow...
He could also fill out his profile and include where he lives. Then we could direct him to a desert location where you don't need wipers or a high rainfall place where the slow setting is never fast enough.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM
5W30
Racer

I was just trying to "lighten" up the thread... not offense was meant, If I offended you I AM sorry....I thought most if not all solutions were posted by the time I posted..

Again sorry if I crossed the line..
Not in the least fellow citizen. All is well. And hopefully you didn't take offense to me as none was meant either. But thanks, I admire that.

I'm in Portland. Oregon type. What desert sounds good so I'm nice and land locked? I'll sure miss the razor clams.

btw you can talk directly to me too. nvermind, you weren't talking to me... doh

Last edited by 5W30; 11-02-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:28 PM
mike72
Pro

mine is an 06 and I have not timed it officially, but I knew it was close to 30 seconds. Way more than 5 to 7 seconds. I will accept that it is only 24 seconds.

Maybe the newer models have speed compensated wipers and yours need adjusting. There is no mention of this being included on 06 models owners manual. Hope you get it sorted out.

Mike
Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Uncle Meat
Le Mans Master

Received 97 Likes on 57 Posts

So if they run slower at idle than at 70 even when using the same intermittent setting, could a low voltage battery be causing these issues?

U.M.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:31 PM
5W30
Racer

Originally Posted by mike72
mine is an 06 and I have not timed it officially, but I knew it was close to 30 seconds. Way more than 5 to 7 seconds. I will accept that it is only 24 seconds.

Maybe the newer models have speed compensated wipers and yours need adjusting. There is no mention of this being included on 06 models owners manual. Hope you get it sorted out.

Mike
Thank you Mike. I'm on the case. If I find that speeds can be adjusted I'll dig this one back up.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM
5W30
Racer

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat
So if they run slower at idle than at 70 even when using the same intermittent setting, could a low voltage battery be causing these issues?

U.M.
I'm not sure if it could or not but on mine that isn't the case. Volts are strong.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:40 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

The plot thickens.

My interval times speed up as the car is in motion. I just wen to check mine idling in the driveway and it was 12.5 seconds on the slowest.

At first I thought I was loosing my GD mind as this was much better than when it was bothering me recently on the open road. Then it occurred to me that they must speed up as the car does. Sure enough....

So basically at 60-70 miles an hour the slowest setting increases in rate to a frequency that is intolerable.

A couple things strike me odd.

a) that even idling I'm still seeing a slowest speed of 12.5 seconds as compared to the 22-24 seconds earlier model owners are reporting.

b) that i always try to figure things out on my own without conferring my owner's manual which I still have not done and it is in the next room over.

c) I have read posts (in my initial search about this topic) that the advertising phrase "speed sensitive" was just a misnomer really meaning nothing more than controllable speeds.

d)Unless I find a way to change the programming in the manual I'm right back to square one. That the Wiper speeds in this car suck pond water for they cannot be adjusted slow enough for misty conditions on the open road at speed.
Simply stated, there is something wrong with your intermittant wiper system. You can't reprogram it. The dealer will need to read the signals that your BCM is outputting on the various settings that your stalk switch is set to.

The Corvette does not have a speed sensative wiper system.

The Corvette has 3 fuses and two relays and a diode associated with the wiper system. In the under hood fuse box, fuse #4 and relay #41 (Windshielf wiper High / Low)and #45 (Windshield Wiper On/Off) and in the passenger footwell fuse box, fuses "HTD SEAT/WPR RLY" and "Wiper Dwell".

The intermittant speed setting is commanded by the BCM. The motor is a two speed motor and uses five delay resistors in the stalk switch to alter the operation of the low speed setting to produce "intermittent" operation. The movement of the stalk switch commands an immediate low speed wipe operation and the resistors activate a timed wipe based on the switch setting (resistance value).

Last edited by talon90; 11-02-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 01:48 PM
5W30
Racer

Originally Posted by talon90
Simply stated, there is something wrong with your intermittant wiper system. You can't reprogram it. The dealer will need to read the signals that your BCM is outputting on the various settings that your stalk switch is set to.

The Corvette does not have a speed sensative wiper system.

The Corvette has 3 fuses and two relays and a diode associated with the wiper system. In the under hood fuse box, fuse #4 and relay #41 (Windshielf wiper High / Low)and #45 (Windshield Wiper On/Off) and in the passenger footwell fuse box, fuses "HTD SEAT/WPR RLY" and "Wiper Dwell".

The intermittant speed setting is commanded by the BCM. The motor is a two speed motor and uses five delay resistors in the stalk switch to alter the operation of the low speed setting to produce "intermittent" operation. The movement of the stalk switch commands an immediate low speed wipe operation and the resistors activate a timed wipe based on the switch setting (resistance value).
Thank you. Even simpler stated does this mean that my wiper speeds should not in any way increase as the wheel speed does? Essentially validating this?:

c) I have read posts (in my initial search about this topic) that the advertising phrase "speed sensitive" was just a misnomer really meaning nothing more than controllable speeds.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:08 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Thank you. Even simpler stated does this mean that my wiper speeds should not in any way increase as the wheel speed does? Essentially validating this?:

Correct. The wiper speed is independent of the wheel speed. That is what I meant when I said that the Corvette does not have a speed sensitive wiper system. A speed sensitive wiper system will adjust the speed of the wiper blade movement Dependant upon the speed the vehicle is moving. The Corvette is not equipped with this system so the behavior you have noted of the speed increasing as your vehicle speed increased is not normal.

Both speed sensing and moisture sensing wiper systems were looked at for the Corvette and neither were implemented.

You have something wrong with your wiper system. It is not something you will likely be able to fix on your own. You will need to get the car looked at by a competent service technician.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM
veni vidi vert
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

It's because they are black and everyone knows that's the fastest color.

Try painting them a different color...

Quick Reply: Wiper Speed Too Fast