C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leak on ground, didn't see while on lift

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:26 PM
VetteCop29
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Leak on ground, didn't see while on lift

I have a slight leak of some kind of fluid. It appears clear, yet oily and is NOT oil, and is about midway back from the engine. I have notice the coolant temperature climbing to about 215 while stopped, and 199-203 while driving. I'm assuming the water pump may be bad, so Im looking at a replacement.
Advance Auto is showing a rebuilt repacement, with a 2 year warranty Part No. 58-662 for $121.99, while AutoZone showed a Duralast pump at $291.99
I'm lost on this, and don't even know if that's it, but am in a bind. Any help guys?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:19 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

check the power steering rack/fluid resevoir also...there have been some recent threads about this leaking, even on new C6s.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

pick it up with paper towel and check the colour - yellow could be the power steering
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

paper towel sounds like a good idea to diagnose what it is. you may get lucky replacing a part, but it could be expensive if it's not the correct part that's bad.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:20 PM
07atomic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paper towel trick may work might start by check all the fluid levels if one leaking it's going to be low if you find one low top it off drive it a day or so then recheck it if you think it's the water pump have a shop pressure test the cooling system see if it's leaking if it turns out to be the water pump use a new part stay away from reman junk unless you plan to redo the job in a year. Do you have a good mechanic if so take it in have them look at it for you.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:23 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Doesn't really sound like coolant. Don't start buying replacement parts until you know what the problem is.
Others have given you good advice, follow it.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing you can do, is put some UV trace dye in the suspected fluids, and scan later on with a UV light. Stuff comes in different colors, and not very expensive anymore. I'd be careful of rebuilt parts, as quality can be hit or miss. I have stories as a kid, helping friends out with this. Dont forget the A/C compressor shaft oil.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:12 AM
VetteCop29
Racer

Thanks, all. Going to try the paper towel route first. I don't seem to be having an overheating issue, just a mini panic attack, a few years back I had a water pump go on my C4, got very expensive.
I'll try the paper towel, then the UV trace. I had it on a lift after oil change 3 weeks ago, nothing seen. It's the residual in my carport that concerns me. It's seemingly clear, not transmission fluid, but had an oily feel to it. A puzzle.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't be looking to replace the water pump based on an assumption. You first need to determine exactly what fluid is leaking and from where. Even if the fluid is 'coolant' it doesn't necessarily mean the water pump needs to be replaced. Instead of pricing water pumps your time would be better spent under the car. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do decide to get some parts, order them online from Advance Auto parts, and pick them up at your local store later. You can usually save 20% this way, and do it all the time myself. Another forum member had a 20% Autozone coupon link last year, so bought a couple boat batteries. Guy behind me in line was buying a $300 rack & pinion assembly, so gave him one, and he was happy.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM
NCJIMM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2006 had same simptoms. Preasure test coolant system with no drop in preasure. Started engine got to temp. and preasure began to drop. Found a leak on bottom of water pump. Testing can help find the problem.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:37 AM
VetteCop29
Racer

Default Hi-tech "papertowel method" works!

OK, the hi tech paper towel method reveals it's red: transmission fluid. So i go to AutoZone and buy some LucasOil sealer/fluid only to discover there's no place to put it on the 2005 LS2. No transmission dipstick to check it. No leak when car is on lift. I'm thinking now I'll get the transmission service fluid change/gasket, last documented at 75,000, now at 114,000. No symptoms, just a slight residue on ground after parked a few days. It's my DD. Sound reasonable?
Driving to BG for Vets in Vettes Thursday from Memphis....
Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if, in fact, that is the correct fluid leaking, it seems to me what you're trying to do (put in a sealer) is a band aid. I've no idea if it will fix the problem. I also have no idea if it will eventually damage the internal workings so that the real fix becomes more costly. there are brighter minds who will chime in, but those are my concerns.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 AM
VetteCop29
Racer

Originally Posted by AORoads
if, in fact, that is the correct fluid leaking, it seems to me what you're trying to do (put in a sealer) is a band aid. I've no idea if it will fix the problem. I also have no idea if it will eventually damage the internal workings so that the real fix becomes more costly. there are brighter minds who will chime in, but those are my concerns.

Thanks, but I've abandoned the sealer method. My plan is to have it serviced, replace the gasket and fluid. The fluid is clear/pink, not burned or brown, no grainy residue, no mechanical symptoms or smell. I'm hoping the service does the trick, and if not, they'll have it open for diagnostic anyway.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,367 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by VetteCop29
Thanks, but I've abandoned the sealer method. My plan is to have it serviced, replace the gasket and fluid. The fluid is clear/pink, not burned or brown, no grainy residue, no mechanical symptoms or smell. I'm hoping the service does the trick, and if not, they'll have it open for diagnostic anyway.

While they have it up in the air, they can look for any other leak on the tranny.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:51 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Good plan. Keep us posted.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,507 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

OK, the hi tech paper towel method reveals it's red: transmission fluid.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM
07atomic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now I'm really confused you said the leak was under the front of the car right??? Well the tranny is in the rear of the car of its trans fluid and it's under the front of the car sounds like a cooler line or a cooler leaking. I think a good look under the car is in order.

Get notified of new replies

To Leak on ground, didn't see while on lift

Quick Reply: Leak on ground, didn't see while on lift