C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need exhaust (upgrade) advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 01:53 PM
ck_1la@yahoo.com
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need exhaust (upgrade) advice please

Fellow Corvette Drivers,
I drive a 2008 C6 LS3 Z51 - with the base standard exhaust system - which is rather whimpy sounding and does not do the car justice.

I have searched the Forum in vain trying to find advice about what type of exhaust system is the best dollar-for-dollar. I cannot find any threads, thus I am posting this one.

I am looking for an exhaust system that is slightly more “grunty” than the GM $1600 exhaust upgrade, but not as loud as the Billy Boat (Bullet I think it is called). I don’t want to rumble the buildings driving down the street, but if I am to spend money on an exhaust – I would like a bit more than the GM "upgrade" exhaust.

QUESTIONS:
1 - What is a good exhaust system to get (I have been told to avoid Magnaflow) that will give me a decent sound at a good price (trying to spend between $1000 to $1200 - less than $1000 if possible!) and perhaps boost the HP a little bit?
2 - Is it necessary to get the/an X-pipe as well? Is this where the added (albeit a small amount) Horsepower comes from? What will I be missing if I DO NOT get the X-pipe (would upgrading just be pointless without the X-pipe?)?

Any advice and education is greatly appreciated. Thanks – CK.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Well forget about the hp gains for the most part, if any it will be unfelt.

I have the Corsa Sports mufflers which do give more sound without droning and sounding like a hot rod.

PROBLEM IS THAT THEY ARE RATHER EXPENSIVE, $1800ish. All stainless steel though so will last a lifetime.

Cheaper alternative being manga flow or flowmaster will sound more vacuum cleaner like and have drone for sure.

Corsa does offer two other options, one being the Extreme which is loud and the Touring which is mild. The Sports lay in between and seem to be the most popular.

I also added the Z06 manifolds and H pipe which does give some decent hp gains and added attitude sound wise.

The audio clips are tough to get the real sound so better off listening to the system in the real world.

look for a used set and your in the ball park dollar wise. Again SS so it will last.

The X pipe will change the sound some and lower the popping on deceleration somewhat.

Any hp gains is from a free flowing design which will also be louder.

Last edited by Boomer111; 10-29-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

not trying to be harsh, but your searching skills need some upgrades. the word "search" in the red band above will take you to "advanced" if you select it. then, in the upper left, put in search words and limit to C6 Gen, or Tech.

words like "borla" gives you: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=32315761

corsa: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=32315809

then think up your own words to use to get more info. not so hard to do. better than trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:03 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

I have SLP Loudmouth II on my GS and love it.
I do sometimes wish its louder

Last edited by Dado5; 10-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dado5
I have SLP Loudmouth on my GS and love it.
lol I'm not sure it gets any louder than those... do you not drive the car enough to experience the massive drone?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Dado5
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn672
lol I'm not sure it gets any louder than those... do you not drive the car enough to experience the massive drone?
its my DD. I had Loudmouth I on my 07 before and i loved it. Loudmouth II is little quieter.
Drone doesnt bother me much.
Im gonna get electronics cut outs installed soon
Old 10-29-2012, 03:14 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Make sure you know what drone is. It can be a killer. I spent $1500 for a good system. After a year I removed it due to the drone. I went back to stock and life is good again.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dado5
I have SLP Loudmouth II on my GS and love it.
My '09 C6 had the SPL Loudmouth when I bought it, and it was the main
reason I bought it 'cause it sounded soooo good.
When I start it up the BMW owner across the street says, "that's the
best sounding car I ever heard.
I just drove it from Michigan to Florida (again) and the so called drone
doesn't bother me at all.
Just love my exhaust system, it's a M6 speed.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:18 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

You could also look into a used set of NPP mufflers and then get the NPP in a box and all will be good.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:50 PM
ck_1la@yahoo.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Make sure you know what drone is. It can be a killer. I spent $1500 for a good system. After a year I removed it due to the drone. I went back to stock and life is good again.
Thanks - I shall keep this in mind. It seems that Corsa states no drone - but they are expensive. According to your input, if you are going to get an exhaust - spend the money to get something decent with no drone. What was it that you spent $1500 on - so as I know to avoid this issue you had?
Old 10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
ck_1la@yahoo.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ck_1la@yahoo.com
Fellow Corvette Drivers,
I drive a 2008 C6 LS3 Z51 - with the base standard exhaust system - which is rather whimpy sounding and does not do the car justice.

I have searched the Forum in vain trying to find advice about what type of exhaust system is the best dollar-for-dollar. I cannot find any threads, thus I am posting this one.

I am looking for an exhaust system that is slightly more “grunty” than the GM $1600 exhaust upgrade, but not as loud as the Billy Boat (Bullet I think it is called). I don’t want to rumble the buildings driving down the street, but if I am to spend money on an exhaust – I would like a bit more than the GM "upgrade" exhaust.

QUESTIONS:
1 - What is a good exhaust system to get (I have been told to avoid Magnaflow) that will give me a decent sound at a good price (trying to spend between $1000 to $1200 - less than $1000 if possible!) and perhaps boost the HP a little bit?
2 - Is it necessary to get the/an X-pipe as well? Is this where the added (albeit a small amount) Horsepower comes from? What will I be missing if I DO NOT get the X-pipe (would upgrading just be pointless without the X-pipe?)?

Thanks for the advice Boomer - I will check out the Sports Edition of the Corsa. From the other posts, I gather that drone seems to be an issue - which others admit that they have drone; yet they also say it does not bother them.

PS: I see you are in the Bay Area - I used to live in Piedmont - so good looking out! Too bad about the A's...
Old 10-29-2012, 04:58 PM
ck_1la@yahoo.com
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AORoads
not trying to be harsh, but your searching skills need some upgrades. the word "search" in the red band above will take you to "advanced" if you select it. then, in the upper left, put in search words and limit to C6 Gen, or Tech.

words like "borla" gives you: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=32315761

corsa: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...rchid=32315809

then think up your own words to use to get more info. not so hard to do. better than trying to reinvent the wheel.
You are absolutely kuuur-eckt - I do need to improve my search skills! I shall do this, but I have another question to ask you then...when I have had enough answers from a post that I started - how do I end the thread so as to not have it take replies any longer?

(p.s. - not harsh at all and I half expected someone to tell me to improve my search skills. You were most polite about it - thanks.)
Old 10-29-2012, 05:10 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll be going the OBX catted header route (go to C6 "tech and performance" forum, then click on "search this forum") and hooking to my stock NPP's.

The NPP's open are perfect sounding to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Do not worry about the thread ending, the turn over on this forum is fast. In a few hours your post could be on the second page.

If your on a budget I strongly suggest you try and hear these systems on the car live.

Maybe a car show or fun run in your area.

There is a section in the forum that applies to regional post, try this for some nearby help.

Better safe than sorry and there have been lots of folks that wish they had done just this.

The car may sound great from the outside but how is it inside...you the driver will have to live with it.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Old 10-29-2012, 05:43 PM
paracord
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Borla Classic Stingers. Not the new twin can type.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM
scars10
Advanced

Corsa sports here for my 08 from West Coast Corvette, I think they were $1250 & they paid the freight. Had them in 4 days. Love the sound

Get notified of new replies

To Need exhaust (upgrade) advice please

Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You are absolutely kuuur-eckt - I do need to improve my search skills! I shall do this, but I have another question to ask you then...when I have had enough answers from a post that I started - how do I end the thread so as to not have it take replies any longer?

(p.s. - not harsh at all and I half expected someone to tell me to improve my search skills. You were most polite about it - thanks.)
Not sure it can be done, but at the bottom of C6 Gen are the moderators. You can PM/EM one of them and ask to have the thread closed. Or, you could just ignore all future posts on the thread. And thanks for taking my critique in the spirit that it was given.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM
raspyc6
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with most fellas on here that Corsa sports or touring would fit the bill. Gonna need to come out of pocket a bit more but you get what you pay for. I have the NPP and love them especially with the mild-to-wild switch. That said, LG long tube headers made the biggest difference in power and sound to be certain. At any rate, get the cat back first and then start thinking about long tube headers after that and the upfront support mods. You'll find many reasons owning this car to WANT to spend your money!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

After owning my 05 coupe with BB Bullets for 11 months I can tell you that I wouldn't have it any other way. I just took a road trip from New Orleans to Orlando and back. Yes the drone is noticeable inside the car especially with the top on and windows up, but neither me nor the wife mind it at all. She slept fine when she wanted to.

I couldn't see owning this car without the Bullets. The car sounds like it should. It sounds angry and ready to punch the opposition in the mouth.

Fellow Corvette Drivers,

QUESTIONS:

Quick Reply: Need exhaust (upgrade) advice please