C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Corvette seats are Crap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 11:26 PM
bluez06ny
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The seats are definitely made for the larger posteriors of the typical American. However, GM has provided the seat belt Cinch feature on all Corvettes since the 84 model was introduced. Most people have no clue how to use it even though the feature is mentioned in the Owner's Manual. Proper use of the Cinch can eliminate a fair portion of the complaints about the seats in aggressive driving maneuvers.

Cinch works much better with Sport Seats Vs the base seats or early model Z06 seats which didn't include all of the Sport Seat features.

To use Cinch you have to move the seat all the way to the rear, use the power seat switch to tilt the entire seat even further to the rear and then fasten the seat belt. On the C6 you then pull the shoulder belt all the way out until you hit a hard stop. This puts the belt into Cinch mode. At that time you let the belt slam back into the take up reel and then use your right hand to grab the shoulder belt where it goes through the link on the latch. Pull the belt hard to the left and using your left hand feed any slack into the shoulder belt take up reel. If you have Cinch set the belt will not come back out. Keep moving the belt like this until the seat belt and shoulder belt portions are as tight as you can get them. At that point you move the seat forward to your driving position while tilting it forward so the seat back comes back up. The belt will get very tight across the pelvis and will push your butt down into the seat foam and actually will push it down between the aluminum rails under the foam. At the same time the shoulder belt will get very tight across the chest and if you were breathing hard would restrict your breathing. Once you achieve this you inflate the side bolsters completely. On the track your butt will not move sideways, the shoulder belt will keep your upper body between the inflated bolsters and you will be held in the seat. Is it as good as a Ultrashield Aluminum Race Seat that rises an inch above your legs on each side and has shoulder bolsters that curve around your shoulders and hold them while pulling 1+ Gs in a corner, NO. But it is pretty good. Maybe good enough for me to consider selling my Ultrashield seats and just using the stock seats. By the way this works on both seats so your passenger can be well secured as well.

It is definitely better than any M3 seat I have ever been in since they don't offer a cinch feature you really slide around in BMW seats under hard cornering.

Even among track dogs I find there are quite a few people who don't know how to use this feature and when I am in a car with them have to coach them on how to use it.

Just like Darrell Waltrip says you want the belts tight and this feature lets you get them painfully tight which is a good thing. Unlike the 6 point race harness that I use with my Ultrashield seats the cinch feature means I don't have to keep tightening the belts while I am on the track.

Bill

The cinch system on the stock shoulder belt will get you halfway there.
To "cinch" the lap belt also you need a product like the cg-lock
http://www.cg-lock.com/autocross.html
I've used this for 2 years on the street and autocrossing..it works well.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:52 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Why do so many people think it's GM's job to offer an optional seat? If they did, 50% of the people who bought the option would still call it crap, 40% would brag that they had the option even if they hated it, and only 10% would really like it, but prefer a different brand.

If you don't like the tires, you buy a different brand. Same with wheels, oil, air filter, and mufflers.

A Vette is a great bang for the buck, because GM only offers a limited number of options. The consumer can then buy the aftermarket mods to suit their personal tastes.

The reason aftermarket seats cost so much, is because the volume is so small.

Two additional factors regarding a GM optional seat.
1. The seat is the first design item and the rest of the car is built around that starting point.
2. All OEM seats have to meet federal specs including crash testing. That cost would make a low volume option very expensive.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Silver Raptor
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 6ft 2in 200lbs and just an every day driver but I driver it to the max when I can and lateral support is lacking, And I wish the leather was thicker I am wearing out that little spot on the bolster corner when getting in and out I try my best to avoid it but the conscience effort is not always there.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:27 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Why do so many people think it's GM's job to offer an optional seat? If they did, 50% of the people who bought the option would still call it crap, 40% would brag that they had the option even if they hated it, and only 10% would really like it, but prefer a different brand.

If you don't like the tires, you buy a different brand. Same with wheels, oil, air filter, and mufflers.

A Vette is a great bang for the buck, because GM only offers a limited number of options. The consumer can then buy the aftermarket mods to suit their personal tastes.

The reason aftermarket seats cost so much, is because the volume is so small.

Two additional factors regarding a GM optional seat.
1. The seat is the first design item and the rest of the car is built around that starting point.
2. All OEM seats have to meet federal specs including crash testing. That cost would make a low volume option very expensive.
Actually . GM should install sports car seats as OEM and offer Fat man seats as an option. They'd make a killing. I should have been on GM's marketing crew !
Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

And the paint is cloudy, the tech is from the dinosaur age, none of the seams/gaps line up, the car has no power or handling, all the dealers and their techs are horrible, GM as a whole sucks!!! So why did any of us buy a Corvette? You want race seats go buy them, problem solved!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 09:11 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
And the paint is cloudy, the tech is from the dinosaur age, none of the seams/gaps line up, the car has no power or handling, all the dealers and their techs are horrible, GM as a whole sucks!!! So why did any of us buy a Corvette? You want race seats go buy them, problem solved!!!
I bought a Corvette for a few reasons.

1. Loved them since I was a kid.
2. Wanted to treat myself after spending every dime I had on college and working during that time so as to not have student loans.
3. It looks good,
4. Good warranty.
5. Good power.
6. Good handling
7. Interior is "ok".
8. My ex hated it.
9. Nothing else touches it for 40k.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
I bought a Corvette for a few reasons.

1. Loved them since I was a kid.
2. Wanted to treat myself after spending every dime I had on college and working during that time so as to not have student loans.
3. It looks good,
4. Good warranty.
5. Good power.
6. Good handling
7. Interior is "ok".
8. My ex hated it.
9. Nothing else touches it for 40k.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:42 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

I'm pleased with the seats in my 2013. All the b*tching must be about older model seats?
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

No doubt, Americans are overweight. A few years back a friend bought a used Corvette, one owner, the guy had owned the car 24 hours. Turned out he was so fat he broke the bolster on day 1 and he sold the car right back to the dealer.

My friend stripped the seat, fixed the bolster with aluminum plates & rivets, and put it all back together again. He was proud of the bargain price and his new Corvette.

Cheers,
JB
Old 10-31-2012, 10:37 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

I blame global warming. lol
Old 10-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VatorMan
Actually . GM should install sports car seats as OEM and offer Fat man seats as an option. They'd make a killing. I should have been on GM's marketing crew !
That would be so awesome.

I'll take the $1000 "couch" seat option please!
Old 10-31-2012, 10:58 AM
Fawndeuce
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't track my cars, but I hate Corvette seats none the less.
I had an '07 coupe, and now a 2010 GS vert with the 4LT interior.
Plain and simply, the seats are an absolute disgrace for a car at a $50K price point, let alone on a $100K+ ZR1.
I am 6'2" 225lbs, and the seat bottom in my car is finished after 16K miles, like sitting on a diaper full of poo.
The seats also look cheap, they have since day one, even with the optional $$ 4LT and heritage package that mine has, my drivers seat now looks like it has 100K miles on it.
Do I expect Porsche seats in a Chevy? No, but seats at least as good as the ones in my daily driver '08 Subaru Legacy GT.
I have logged 60K miles behind the wheel of that car, I can still do a ten hour stint without issue, and the seats still look great too.
My '05 Mustang GT Daily Driver was the same... Good looking comfortable seats, and they still were four years and 50K miles later when I sold it.
I often feel that Chevy builds the Corvette as a numbers car on paper, bragging rights for the older middle aged men who buy them, but then they cheap out on the quality because they figure they're loyal followers will buy them anyway...
I'm going to give the new Boxter S a try next time, looks and drives great, and the seats feel absolutely wonderful.

Paul
Old 10-31-2012, 11:01 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
That would be so awesome.

I'll take the $1000 "couch" seat option please!
"Now with "Exit Assistance", GM's exclusive seat technology that lifts you and makes exiting the vehicle so much easier."

Old 10-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Canis lupus
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not BIG/Fat and find the fit of the seats just fine, BUT that being said the quality of the leather is beyond poor. GM likely purchased the leather from a rendering plant after the cattle had laid in the field dead for a few weeks.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:12 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

The poor leather can be seen just by looking. There are smooth spots everywhere. In my driver seat there is a crease and what feels like a hard spot running from side to side. I plan to get a dealer to look at it soon.

The interior isnt horrible but its nothing great. The seats I find pretty comfy but I have to get perfect in them. If I wear jeans with a single belt loop in the rear I am screwed. It will dig in to my tail bone.

Also, with the seat all the way down I can feel the floor under my ***. That shouldnt be. When I race I have to put it all the way down and then up sligthly.....and my helmet still almost hits.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:28 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Corvette Leather stock. I think I know what they do with the dead cows in India.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:41 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

You get me a set of those horns and they are mounted on my front bumper......

Get notified of new replies

To Why Corvette seats are Crap

Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom45
This thread just makes me wonder if we are all talking about the same seats. There must be some differences between the 2005 to 2013 seats, 1LT to 4LT and the models such as base coupe, grand sport, ZO6/ZR1.

Maybe should be talking about the differences in the seats?
As I under stand it the full power sport seats are different and are standard at the 1LT level in 2012 and 13 and were standard on the 2LT as of 2011. Those are what I have and with over 20k on them they are still like new.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Default seats

6'4" 218lbs. I just wish that I had a bit more support under my thighs, my long legs would like that. Otherwise, no complaints.

Last edited by vettman96; 10-31-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 PM
rakuhn
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The seats in my past two Corvettes have been comfortable. When I wanted high end comfortable seat and ride, I bought another Cadillac.

In other words, no complaints by me.

Quick Reply: Why Corvette seats are Crap