C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Corvette seats are Crap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seats already have adjustable bolsters.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:23 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hSix
My seats are OK until I run a few laps at the local track.
then instead of complaining about the seats of a production car which is designed to fit almost everybody,buy a track car with racing seats.problem solved.i have a 2012 gs and i am 6"4 230 lbs and i have no problem.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Corvette does not make or use "pitifully bad track seats." They're not "track" seats at all. GM knows their Corvette demographic and they design their seats accordingly. Can you imagine all the complaints there would be if they put real track seats in the car? That being said I think they could find a happy medium between a track seat and what's in the C6.....seats with more lateral support. I believe, I saw a more 'track oriented' type seat in the C7....we'll keep a good thought.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:55 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 655 Likes on 474 Posts

Most of the respondents quoting their own height and weight are making the OP's point for him.

Only two described BMIs in the normal range, and one of those guys thinks of himself as "skinny." This is how distorted perceptions become after decades of an obesity epidemic.

That said, a third of the country isn't overweight, which ought to be enough for GM to justify a "sports seat" option. Even if almost nobody bought it, it's availability could have quieted this persistent criticism of the Corvette.

We'll see with the C7.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
richardgd
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually don't get into these bitch threads but with all the Nissan comparisons, for once I have the right experience to contribute. I traded in my 09 Z06 back in May for loaded 370Z Sport Touring ($45K Sticker). Although the Nissan seats were much firmer, they in no way provided more lateral support. The uncomfortable seats, plasticky dash, lack of power and cooling issues brought me back to Chevrolet after only 4 months. Probably lost about $8K but am much happier and more comfortable in my new Vette. If you wanted to track any car, you would probably have to make some changes. For the 370Z you would have to modify the engine to get more power, change radiator/oil cooler to keep it from boiling over and update the brakes. IMO, much cheaper to buy a vette and swap the seats.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:20 AM
kck77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2vette2
I guess I must be in the minority in that I find nothing wrong with the seats. A little over 5'9" and 200 lbs and I fit fine.

Me too. 6'1", 190 lbs. 2012 GS and I am completely comfortable in my seat. The lumbar and side bolsters adjust perfectly and I am comfortable on long drives; which for me is a big deal as I have muscle and nerve damage through the neck and back that effects basically my whole body. I had a Nissan Z I just got rid off; one hour in that thing and I was in agony for the rest of the day.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Another guy in the "minority" here. 6' 1" 200#'s and I find them very comfortable.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:19 AM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Recently did four day trip from New Orleans to Orlando. Over 1700 miles and 30+ combined total hours of seat time later and I had no complaints. I can't speak for their race-ability, but as far as car seats go they're just fine.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:41 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Strange that the guys who complain the most that the seats aren't good for the track, have no problem spending big bucks changing a whole lot of other things to make it good for the track.

I drag race my DD and road trip Vette. When I race, I install my race seat, rollbar, harness, drag radials, and wear a fire jacket/pants. It's just part of the deal. For the other 100K miles, the seats are the most comfortable of any of the 60+ cars I've owned.

To the cheapazz who loved his 350Z seats.... Buy some seats you like and quitchurbitchen.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:53 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lordofwar
then instead of complaining about the seats of a production car which is designed to fit almost everybody,buy a track car with racing seats.problem solved.i have a 2012 gs and i am 6"4 230 lbs and i have no problem.
I have owned a GT3RS and a Viper ACR and tracked them both, the seats were very worthy of track usage but the fact is if you want to track your car frequently put in race seats with a race harness! You can also just put a five point harness in your Vette the way it is to help keep you planted. I love the seats in my 2013 427.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by JockamoIPA
Recently did four day trip from New Orleans to Orlando. Over 1700 miles and 30+ combined total hours of seat time later and I had no complaints. I can't speak for their race-ability, but as far as car seats go they're just fine.
And that's the way 95% of Corvette owners use their car. Really good racing seats would be uncomfortable and a waste of money for most of us.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:44 AM
CETA 256
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
Throw me in the minority pool I too am fine with the seats.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

I'm a big guy the seats are very comfortable. Seems skinny people don't like them because they slide around too much. I say boo fu#%ing hoo!!!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 AM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,324 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
I'm a big guy the seats are very comfortable. Seems skinny people don't like them because they slide around too much. I say boo fu#%ing hoo!!!

With the power seat option, the bolsters can be adjusted to make a smaller frame fit snugly if required. I'm 5'8 and 170 and I like the seats just fine. They are very comfortable.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:06 AM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The problem with the seats has nothing to do with comfort. Its that the seats are not supportive and when performance driving they do NOT hold the driver (or passenger) in place. This is extremely important in a sports car, designed to perform high lateral G cornering, braking and accelerating. If the driver is not properly supported in the seat and slides around, then the driver cannot maintain proper control of the vehicle.

If you are just putt-putting around town, going to the local car show on the weekend, taking long highway cruises or punching the gas from a stoplight every once in a while.. then the C6 seats arent a big deal to you.

If you ever decide to hit a road racing track.. or take your C6 through some fast backroads/mountainroads/canyoncarvers/highwaysweepers/highwayexits you will see exactly what the problem is. And why so many people are disappointed with the seats. For a car that provide up to a full 1.0G of lateral grip.. the seats absolutely suck when attempting to do such a maneuver. On the track, with proper tires and conditions.. the widebody C6's can easily exceed that 1.0G number.

The most lateral G I've ever seen indicated on my HUD was .75G when taking a highway exit I'm extremely familiar with. And it literally felt like my body was up against the door, about to fall out of the car. Even if you do not participate in high performance driving with your C6, the seats are still a disappointment in that the foam is weak and not supportive.. and will flatten out the more you sit in them.

Last edited by Daekwan06; 10-29-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Maybe the C7 will offer a Recaro option since some of you want them. I like my factory seats (no problem).
I do not want Recardo seats, to each their own. Love my Vette............
Old 10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Zee0hSix
Drifting

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
The problem with the seats has nothing to do with comfort. Its that the seats are not supportive and when performance driving they do NOT hold the driver (or passenger) in place. This is extremely important in a sports car, designed to perform high lateral G cornering, braking and accelerating. If the driver is not properly supported in the seat and slides around, then the driver cannot maintain proper control of the vehicle.

If you are just putt-putting around town, going to the local car show on the weekend, taking long highway cruises or punching the gas from a stoplight every once in a while.. then the C6 seats arent a big deal to you.

If you ever decide to hit a road racing track.. or take your C6 through some fast backroads/mountainroads/canyoncarvers/highwaysweepers/highwayexits you will see exactly what the problem is. And why so many people are disappointed with the seats. For a car that provide up to a full 1.0G of lateral grip.. the seats absolutely suck when attempting to do such a maneuver. On the track, with proper tires and conditions.. the widebody C6's can easily exceed that 1.0G number.

The most lateral G I've ever seen indicated on my HUD was .75G when taking a highway exit I'm extremely familiar with. And it literally felt like my body was up against the door, about to fall out of the car. Even if you do not participate in high performance driving with your C6, the seats are still a disappointment in that the foam is weak and not supportive.. and will flatten out the more you sit in them.
Great post. Could not have said it better myself.

A proper sports car deserves a proper seat.

After reading the posts, my theory in post #1 looks more like fact.........There are a lot of large Corvette owners!

Get notified of new replies

To Why Corvette seats are Crap

Old 10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Zee....I love your avatar.

Silver is very classy.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Biggie G
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah seats look good but feel like crap after 45 minutes.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:26 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Just did a 4 hour trip the other day. Only stopped because I needed a drink. How large are you that they are uncomfortable? Bad back or hips perhaps?

Quick Reply: Why Corvette seats are Crap