C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick 3 Day New Orleans to Orlando Road trip

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
JockamoIPA
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Quick 3 Day New Orleans to Orlando Road trip

Took the wife down to Orlando for her birthday and squeezed in a little top-off long road trip right before winter time hits. Weather was perfect.

My 05 coupe was flawless. Drive total was approximately 1700 miles with avg gas mileage of 26.5 for entire trip.

I was a little worried that the BB Bullets would eventually get on our nerves but that was not the case. Drove all over Orlando, took a quick detour to Tampa to see my brother, then back to Orlando, all up and down International drive turning heads the whole time. This car is truly a pleasure to drive.

There was one strange episode on the way home. Heading north on I75 doing about 78 in a 70 I spotted an unmarked all white Charger with lights flashing. No big deal. By the time I saw him it was too late so if he was gonna chase me down oh well. Top was off, wife asleep, weather perfect, and I was digging a tune on the radio so I was singing, bopping my head, and just enjoying the ride.

About 5 minutes later the same cop rolls up fast on my 6. No lights though. So I just keep moving along with cruise steady at 78. He stayed there for about 30 seconds. I'm still jamming and singing. It's three lanes and Im in the far left. Suddenly he swings into the middle lane and gets even with me, still no lights. At this point I don't know what to do other than look over at him with a huge grin on my face and smile and nod. He stayed with me for about another 30 seconds. I'm thinking to myself "does this guy want to race?!?!?" I mean it almost seemed like he was gassing it a little.

I didn't take the bait. He was clearly a cop. The car was unmarked but he had the big spotlight on the a pillar and I had seen him on the side of the road earlier so nothing doing. After about 45 seconds he peeled off and I kept my eye on him in the rear view. All of a sudden he got behind a KIA that was in the far right lane probably doing about 75 and pulled them over.

I don't know what it was all about but it was something that's never happened to me before.

Anyway, happy driving out there!!! These Vettes are awesome and I couldn't be happier with my 05 red coupe.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:40 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,441 Likes on 2,800 Posts

I know EXACTLY what that was, lol.

Growing up in South Florida, cops don't care about speeding as long as its reasonable. 78 in a 70 they don't care about. What they DO care about is unsafe driving. Swerving, racing, cutting people off, etc.

In Florida a sadly large number of Corvette drivers are "me too" guys that wanted an exotic but couldn't afford it - they bought the car only for the "status" and drive like morons. The cop was trying to get you to race to see if that was the case for you, and you passed his test.

Glad you're enjoying it responsibly
Old 10-28-2012, 06:58 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Glad you didn't take the bait....Unmarked Dodge Police Cruiser is a OXI-MORON. I too did a 1700 mile trip a couple of weeks ago and averaged exactly the same MPG. Although, a couple of times I exceeded 78 mph...
Old 10-28-2012, 07:03 PM
teenVette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool I plan on taking a trip down to Miami hopefully in Dec. the weather should still be nice then

Get notified of new replies

To Quick 3 Day New Orleans to Orlando Road trip

Quick Reply: Quick 3 Day New Orleans to Orlando Road trip