C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overly sensitive to a rude comment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:07 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Default Overly sensitive to a rude comment?

Yesterday I stopped at a local hardware store on the way home from work. I was in uniform and since the weather was nice, I had the top down (of course) on the Corvette.

As I was leaving the store and getting into the car, a fairly well-dressed guy (maybe 50ish) looked at me and the car and said "I guess the Navy is doing pretty damn good" being snarky and a general d!ck...

I just looked back at him and said "Yea after 22 years of service, 4 submarines and a combat tour in Iraq, I finally found a 3 year old used Corvette that I could afford- and I absolutely LOVE it!"

He just blinked and went into the store. Why be like that? I couldn't really tell if it was some anti-Military thing or something to do with the car. Regardless, it caught me off guard and really irritated me.

Generally stuff like that doesn't bug me, but for some reason I really wanted to slap the crap out of him... but I wouldn't have known where to send the clothes when I was done since he was nothing but crap.

In hindsight, I am sure I handled it better than my 1st instinct would have dictated (again, slaping the smirk off of his face), but for some reason I'm still perturbed.

Sorry, done venting now...

/r

Allen
Old 10-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Allen, sorry to hear about that encounter. Man, ********* seem to be breeding more these days. There are so many haters on people who work hard, pay dues, take chances and succeed. Not gonna turn this into a political rant, but the negative atmosphere in this country towards success is mindblowing. I don't ever remember it being this bad. Thanks for your service and your hard work. Don't let that a hole get you down.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

The guy was a jerk for sure. Move on and don't let it bother you. Thanks for your service.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:18 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't let this get to you. I've had "family" shot me snide comments like," Wow public service ( 28 year Urban Fireman ) pays well I guess" I just said,"Yes it does".I never had a snide comment from the public just d%#k head jealous drivers. Class warfare has hit an all time high.You can take that to the bank.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Allen_B

I just looked back at him and said "Yea after 22 years of service, 4 submarines and a combat tour in Iraq, I finally found a 3 year old used Corvette that I could afford- and I absolutely LOVE it!"

Allen
This sums it up well.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sir, I appreciate your service and let's face it - it takes all kind...

Last edited by Jimmy Z; 10-27-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-27-2012, 02:24 PM
0pocket_radar
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always try to think positive. Maybe it was this guys way of saying nice car. I think you replied well. Enjoy the vette. I also got a great deal on my 2008 when it was 3 years old in 2011.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zap City
...Not gonna turn this into a political rant, but the negative atmosphere in this country towards success is mindblowing...
Also not trying to make anything political about it, but the tone actually sounded like something out of the recent debates with "the Navy doing just fine"... I think that is what really tweaked me.

Again, apologies but as I mentioned I get irritated when I think about the encounter...

/r

Allen
Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

I get the same crap all the time from coworkers and so called friends. It's just plain old jealousy, ignore it, enjoy your success, and move on.

What makes this more frustrating is the guy that insulted you would be the first one hiding behind you for protection.....

Thanks for your service.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:42 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

there are lots like him out there...but there aren't many that would be willing to endure what you have (so ignore him)
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

"Yea after 22 years of service, 4 submarines and a combat tour in Iraq, I finally found a 3 year old used Corvette that I could afford- and I absolutely LOVE it!"

A perfect response in my opinion.

Ignore that type of D*ck!

Thanks for your service!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

The military way of dealing with an idiot like that is exactly what you did. You should be proud of holding your temper and not smacking the guy...just as we are all proud of you for your service.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Yesterday I stopped at a local hardware store on the way home from work. I was in uniform and since the weather was nice, I had the top down (of course) on the Corvette.

As I was leaving the store and getting into the car, a fairly well-dressed guy (maybe 50ish) looked at me and the car and said "I guess the Navy is doing pretty damn good" being snarky and a general d!ck...

He just blinked and went into the store. Why be like that? I couldn't really tell if it was some anti-Military thing or something to do with the car. Regardless, it caught me off guard and really irritated me.

Generally stuff like that doesn't bug me, but for some reason I really wanted to slap the crap out of him... but I wouldn't have known where to send the clothes when I was done since he was nothing but crap.

In hindsight, I am sure I handled it better than my 1st instinct would have dictated (again, slaping the smirk off of his face), but for some reason I'm still perturbed.

Sorry, done venting now...

/r

Allen
Yes he was a douchebag, but you were a gentlemen. You were in uniform and took it for the good of the service.

Thanks for serving!

PS I did a little Navy time in the 60s, but not near as long as you!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Jim2003
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Allen, thanks for your service.
I think that he is part of the current society that is influenced by this class warfare. He is jealous that someone can have something he does not have. We in America are in trouble due to the current philosophy that you take from those of us who have and give to the have nots. An absolutely stupid view, get out and work and earn the ability to buy what you see that others have acquired.

That is my worthless .02!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
LooseScrew
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You did good! Waaay better than I would have!
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
1981turbota
Racer

I don't think you went over the top. When I was a fresh PFC in the Army, I had a 2000 Camaro SS. I got a lot of similar remarks, most of which I didn't respond to. If I did, it was along the lines of "Gotta love being young, dumb and single" or "all I can afford is the car and ramen noodles" as a sarcastic pun. Now let's see how they handle the vette....(still enlisted in the Army)

I'm on your side on this one
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Thanks to all for the replies; I am new to the Corvette community and the responses here are indicative of the general class of the group!

I think I need to head out and pick up a bottle of American Honey for the evening (and pending storm) and offer a toast to wish the guy well...

Regardless of his demeanor, I am actually proud that he can sleep sound tonight under the blanket of security my Shipmates deployed and on patrol provide to him and his loved ones...

Yea, after two decades I'm still a "diggit"

/r

Allen

Get notified of new replies

To Overly sensitive to a rude comment?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:34 PM
VCUFAN
Burning Brakes

He was just jealous, not sure why people have to make those kinds of comments. You handled it well.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,934 Likes on 4,814 Posts

Not sure what his motives were for the comments, but you did well with your response.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Just remember all of the OTHER people that say to themselves, "Damn, that's a sweet car. I wish I had one..."

Quick Reply: Overly sensitive to a rude comment?