C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Competetive Driving mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
C U IN REARVEIW
Le Mans Master

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Your car must be different. If I turn the TC off my car will spin the rear tires for as long as I want. Mine doesnt spin just a little with the TC OFF. My 2013 is that way and my 2012 was too.
it will let the wheels spin,but as soon as there is any lateral movement it seems to shut it down "the active handling does it"
Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Friend turned off his zr1 it bit him lots of damage. If you turn it off be sure you are in a straight line wheels pointed straight and lots of room to spin around in.
z51vett
Old 10-27-2012, 11:01 PM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 277 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

Just another word of advise. Climate. If you live in a colder climate this time of year is not the right time to experiment. Cold roads and tires that don't warm up that easy makes for more problems.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:52 PM
kmerrill
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ah/tc

And if you ever have your car professionally tuned - CoW did mine - use more than extreme caution. Before the tune I would very rarely disengage. Now I never disengage. Even with all systems on I can get myself into serious trouble if I trounce the gas pedal.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:29 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by C U IN REARVEIW
it will let the wheels spin,but as soon as there is any lateral movement it seems to shut it down "the active handling does it"
Ah....got you. Yes, that is the case.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:06 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by festone
No difference in power - just the level of intrusion (or protection) that the AH and TC provide. With all of the nannys off you can keep applying power and make a bad situation worse in a real hurry. With TC and AH on you will get "saved" by the systems reducing power, applying brake(s), etc.

As we all know, comp mode shuts-off traction control and lessens the level of active handling intervention. Comp mode is a great learning tool on the track but it does cut throttle response. If I use comp mode on the track AH engages at virtually every curve and corner. On certain corners/curves I can think of in particular, the system cuts throttle response. In other words, coming out of certain corners/curves I have to get the car 'straightened out' before I have full throttle response. I can't put the power down how I want when I want. Comp mode is a great learning tool (and highly recommended) but at a certain point you learn using comp mode kills your lap times.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
RULEMKR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I tried competition mode and the car shifter in the S mode. I could'nt tell the difference on a straight road. Leaving a light in a wide turn at moderate throttle the car got almost sideways on a shift to second.
I found out I cant really drive, but the car can.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mg777
Just got my 2013 coupe home today. Ahh, it is an awesome car. My first vette (will post pics tomorrow)!.

Can you anyone tell me how much of difference in power there really is between the competitive mode vs. traction control off/ active handling off vs. both trxn control/ active hndling on. Will I notice much of a difference in the city ? How about interstate? How do you drive your vette ?
Congrats on the new car!

I drive mine with TC on for regular driving. I play with the car and test it's limits on the autocross courses. yesterday I ran in Competitive Driving Mode on and I can tell you my back end was all over the place (still learning when to punch the gas and when not to). If I had been on a regular traffic situation with that much wiggle it would have been scary, but then again, I'm not powering in and out of tight turns in my every day life of driving either.

I recommend leaving TC on if you're not familiar with driving a high performance car and maybe getting into some autocrossing to learn what your car can do in a safer environment than the open highway. It'll make you a better driver, you'll have a blast doing it and you will learn a LOT about what your car can do and can't do.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:38 PM
C3bdj1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by bgspot
One of the few times we got ice, i tried this. Very fun
You shouldn't need "Ice" to do it. Just open space and a wallet thick enough to put the tire guys kids thru college. lol

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Your car must be different. If I turn the TC off my car will spin the rear tires for as long as I want. Mine doesnt spin just a little with the TC OFF. My 2013 is that way and my 2012 was too.
My '08 (Z51/A6 w/paddle shift/NPP) will spin with TC off as long as I keep my foot down. I have not experienced AH changing this with lateral movement...it just keeps spinning in a circle.

Originally Posted by dlparsons
Congrats on the new car!

I drive mine with TC on for regular driving. I play with the car and test it's limits on the autocross courses. yesterday I ran in Competitive Driving Mode on and I can tell you my back end was all over the place (still learning when to punch the gas and when not to). If I had been on a regular traffic situation with that much wiggle it would have been scary, but then again, I'm not powering in and out of tight turns in my every day life of driving either.

I recommend leaving TC on if you're not familiar with driving a high performance car and maybe getting into some autocrossing to learn what your car can do in a safer environment than the open highway. It'll make you a better driver, you'll have a blast doing it and you will learn a LOT about what your car can do and can't do.

My $.02 is "Crawl-Walk-Run".

You can get into many types of trouble with these cars if you do not RESPECT them, and use good sense. I'm not saying you don't have any...just saying "Safe" should always come before "Fun".

Enjoy your new Vette!!!

Bobby

Quick Reply: Competetive Driving mode