C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts after the first 10 days with my new 2012 GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 04:29 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by kck77
I had a GTR before getting the GS. I am still running the GY Eagle F1 with 8/32 tread, and I am fine. In heavy rains on highways, I am limited to 50 MPH (80 KILO), other than that I find they are totally fine in cold temps on dry roads. I have also owned Z350/370, so road noise etc is of no concern lol after driving one of those with the stock Bridgestone RE050A, everything else is quiet in comparison. I will be putting on Michelins on the GS very soon. I am not one to mod to void the warranty on my high performance cars; I completely admire and respect those that do..... the money, time and sweat put into making the many awesome corvettes and other high performance vehicles I enjoy reading about and looking at here on the forum brings much enjoyment..... but its just not my thing. I like my vehicles factory stock, and thats why one of the Z cars would of been a much better choice. I made the wrong decision based on wanting an open air experience. A vert here in Vancouver is just not great for a daily driver, I did give the 427 some thought. It rains WAY to much for a dd, and theft from tops being cut is prevalent in some areas. I lived and learned. Although I am really really yearning for the extra power and performance a Z car would of brought and I made the wrong decision, Im hoping the top off experience next May - Sept helps lesson the burn, and have decided my best and smartest option is to now wait and trade up to a C7 Z car next year (provided they are available and I like the car). If not, I am sure I will figure something out. I picked up the GS with 3LT loaded with F55, 2 tops, NPP and every other available option but the 4LT leather trim interior for under 50k, so I wont be too bad off when trade up time comes. Thanks all for your suggestions on the matter.... I figured posting this may help those who are undecided between the two ( or 3 ) corvettes and maybe help someone make the right decision with their purchase!
Wow, did you get it brand new? If so, that's an incredible deal!

I also do leave my cars stock except a few safety and protective changes (like brake fluid, clear bra, etc.), but you should also note that Corvettes are the cheapest sports cars in the market to upkeep, maintain, and fix. For instance, GT-R's transmission is about $20K if you ever need to replace it. Corvette's T6060 Tremec transmission (for Z06) is currently on sale for $2780 from a forum dealer, and it is very stout anyway! GT-R's tranny oil needs to be replaced very often if you ever do track days, and the fluid costs $550. For the Corvette, cost is about $40 and GM does not have a frequent change schedule for track use. Z06 rotors (Centric) can also be had for about $50, and the OEM rotors for less than $70. The whole Z06 clutch kit along with its flywheel can also be had for less than $450. In short, if you end up voiding your warranty, it's not the end of the world like it is so for some of the cars out there (like GT-R, Porsches, even BMWs, etc.)

Last edited by X25; 10-28-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:50 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

To the OP: With the deal you got, I'm betting you could sell/trade your GS for MORE than you paid for it...go get that ZO6!!! I got such a smoking deal on my previous '11 vert that I was able to get MORE on trade than I paid when I traded for my '12 GS CE coupe.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:00 AM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The GS is great. I bought one this April (2012 CE, 4LT, M6 coupe). I drove it over a 6-week, 10,000 mile road trip and created a lot of good memories. It was a great driving car. Personally, I wanted more power. Clearly, I can't really justify that desire with any type of economic or scientific logic; it's simply an emotional desire. I weighed power-adding options; but, decided I'd be trying to build a ZR1. I came across a new, 2012 ZR1 in August. I traded and couldn't be happier. It is the car I have always wanted. It gives me the feel that I was missing with the GS. Everyone has a thing they act a bit crazy about. Mine is ridiculous cars. My advice is to get what you want when you can and never try to convince others to match your personal desires. Just because I wasn't overwhelmed by the GS doesn't make it any less of a car. Just because I wasn't willing to deal with modifying a GS doesn't mean it is a bad thing to do. I love the brand and look forward to sharing with other Corvette owners regardless of their performance desires.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:48 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Very well put. Congrats on the ZR1. What color did you get?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Zap City
Very well put. Congrats on the ZR1. What color did you get?
Thanks! It is what it is. If you like something, go for it! Doesn't make what you don't like bad. Mine is AW. Check out my garage to see pics.

Quick Reply: My thoughts after the first 10 days with my new 2012 GS