C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My thoughts after the first 10 days with my new 2012 GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:22 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by SolidlyStated
Chevy has a return policy. Go trade up.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:25 PM
mirage2991
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by MKenM
First off you should have bought a '13 427. But that aside if you wanted the top off you can't buy a Z. If you want an A6 you can't buy a Z. If your car is just going to be used on the street no reason for a Z. For a 112 Lb. difference do you think you could tell the difference? Chevy advertises GS 0-60 3.95 sec. vs. Z 3.7 sec. are you going to drag race the car?

You didn't say anything about the looks of the GS vs. the Z. You didn't buy a '13 does $10-$15K more for a Z make a difference?

Be happy with the GS it's a great car. It will grow on you. On the other hand get rid of it, you can afford it. JMO

I can hear it now
some of us just like having lots of hp and/or great handling even if overkilled for the street...if that wasn't the case they hotroding would be dead and none of us would spend hours on end in our garage tweaking our hotrods...
Thank goodness there's solution to the op's dilemma, if a warranty isn't a must have, add a blower.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:26 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't have to "drive" in the rush hour traffic in Vancouver do you?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by kck77
...... I should of bought the Z06 instead. This is my first corvette but have had many sports cars; After test driving, I really thought the 6.2 LS3 was going to be more than enough power and open roof driving would be a blast. After almost 2 weeks of daily driving, I can admit I am wrong. I find myself yearning for more power and performance, and the 5 months a year I am able to drive roof off is not worth the trade for the displacement, HP and over all performance of the ZO6. I would MUCH rather have the lighter, stronger and higher performance of the Z : (
You live and learn right! Not sure what I am going to do...... guess wait for the C7 Z06 to release and take it from there.
Last year in early November, I felt like you do now. I had my heart set on a GS Convertible and settled on a GS Coupe. 3 weeks later I traded the '11 GS Coupe on a '12 GS Convertible. If you are not happy it is not too late to get what you want! Better to lose some $ than to have something you don't want. Go for the Z06 and be happy!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

If it's really power you're after, why not see if your dealer has a second-hand C6 ZR1 (or new depending on your budget)?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by 3GenVettes
I don't think that this is correct. Unless I missed something, I think the 60 day return policy was a relatively short lived promotion that ended about 2 months ago. Plus, if you ever really looked at the terms, it wasn't something that very many people would ever choose to do.
I see that the 60 day thing ended September 4th.

However, I was thinking of some 30 day thing I saw recently and I see someone else in this thread thinking the same thing. However, I can't find any information on Google or the Chevrolet website.

I can hear Tim the Toolman Taylor's voice in the commercial saying it...
Old 10-27-2012, 12:22 AM
JLB768
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

After a year, my 08 Z06 wasn't enough car for me, you always want more. I have plans for my current 11 Coupe, Lingenfelter is only a 2 hour drive from me
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 AM
CopRodder
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Supercharger!!!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:19 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Good luck with your future decision............. "Z06 All The Way"

Oh, BTW....My son is attending EF International Language School in Vancouver.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:43 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,937 Likes on 4,816 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
With the way your feeling, better get the ZR1 next time.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:55 AM
bbudman
Instructor

I have been in your shoes. When I bought my GS coupe my wife was along and I admit that I let her convince me that I didn't need the extra power and performance that a Z06 would provide. She also liked the removable roof option on the GS and I confess that I did as well so that is what we bought. Over the course of the year I found myself only removing the top less than a half dozen times. I also found myself itching for more power even though the GS has plenty of power to get you in trouble on the street. Sure, I could bolt on a supercharger and add more power but the bottom line is I already paid for the GM 5/100k power train warranty when I bought the car and I either void that and buy another warranty with the aftermarket supercharger or spend the extra and just buy another car.

So I called my original salesperson and told him I was interested in trading up and to keep an eye open for me. I also decided that whatever I bought it had to be either Supersonic Blue or Cyber Grey, my two favorite colors! Soon after I received a call back from him telling me about the SSB ZR1 they had in the showroom. It was a 2011 3ZR model that had been sitting there for over a year and they were ready to move it. It was a little bit more than I wanted to spend but after getting behind the wheel of the car they cost difference didn't mean a thing! I bought it, drove it home, and never looked back! Sure it cost me a little more in the end but the way I see it is we only live once and I am going to enjoy it!

Don't get me wrong, you could always go the aftermarket route and make more power. I have done that for years and have no regrets but then again I never blew an engine either! In fact, when my 5 year power train warranty expires I am pretty sure I will mod my ZR1 but for now I am quite happy with the performance and peace of mind in knowing that if I have a problem it is going to be on GM and not my bank account!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,650 Likes on 817 Posts

Shoulda, woulda and coulda's will drive you nuts! I say again, if you are not happy don't settle...bite the bullet and get yourself that new Z. With all the rebates and huge discounts going on right now, you may not do as bad as you may think!
Old 10-27-2012, 07:19 PM
Cyber Greg
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm just curious about the other sports cars you've owned in the past.
Granted the GS is not as powerful as the Z06 but it's still a lot faster than most of the cars out there. I'm just looking for a baseline here. Also, how do the summer tires take to the mostly cool, rainy days you have up there? (I lived in the west end for 8 years on Comox) How many miles do you have on your GS so far?
Good luck with your trade.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I was in the same situation looking at a GS and Z06. I got the Z06 and am very happy with my choice but have wondered if I should have got a ZR1. There will always be something better.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:45 PM
CKSIX
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Personal thought, keep the GS, put some ARH's on it, drive it for a year. Pick up a supercharger, and you will be more than happy. The LS3 will handle a lot more power down the road for you with less potential issues than a LS7. There are a lot of guys worried on this forum regarding possible issues with their LS7's. You don't see the ZR1 running a LS7. The LS3 makes ridiculous power going forced induction and safely. Either way, good luck on your choice, I know what I would do.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 796 Likes on 332 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by kck77
...... I should of bought the Z06 instead. This is my first corvette but have had many sports cars; After test driving, I really thought the 6.2 LS3 was going to be more than enough power and open roof driving would be a blast. After almost 2 weeks of daily driving, I can admit I am wrong. I find myself yearning for more power and performance, and the 5 months a year I am able to drive roof off is not worth the trade for the displacement, HP and over all performance of the ZO6. I would MUCH rather have the lighter, stronger and higher performance of the Z : (
You live and learn right! Not sure what I am going to do...... guess wait for the C7 Z06 to release and take it from there.
Get a 427!
Old 10-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Cyberwar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The right supercharger and a few extra mods will get you equal to or past the stock Z HP ratings and for way less than the extra $15-20k in upgrade costs to the Z. For all intents and purposes, the GS is the Z with a removeable roof and LS3 instead of the LS7.

As mentioned, the LS3 will make a ton more HP and much safer than an LS7. That's the route I'll be going when my factory warranty expires in a year or two.

Good luck with your decision, it's truly yours to make and if you have the $$$ then do what makes you happy.

Get notified of new replies

To My thoughts after the first 10 days with my new 2012 GS

Old 10-27-2012, 11:04 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberwar
The right supercharger and a few extra mods will get you equal to or past the stock Z HP ratings and for way less than the extra $15-20k in upgrade costs to the Z. For all intents and purposes, the GS is the Z with a removeable roof and LS3 instead of the LS7.

As mentioned, the LS3 will make a ton more HP and much safer than an LS7. That's the route I'll be going when my factory warranty expires in a year or two.

Good luck with your decision, it's truly yours to make and if you have the $$$ then do what makes you happy.
Look into Edelbrock's and the other's drivetrain warranties. Maybe you don't have to wait.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Pinky...
Melting Slicks

Some of you guys are nuts.

400+ is more than enough for me at the moment. I can't get on it without being illegal.

505 HP. I wouldn't mind trying it once, but jeez.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:28 AM
kck77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory123
I'm just curious about the other sports cars you've owned in the past.
Granted the GS is not as powerful as the Z06 but it's still a lot faster than most of the cars out there. I'm just looking for a baseline here. Also, how do the summer tires take to the mostly cool, rainy days you have up there? (I lived in the west end for 8 years on Comox) How many miles do you have on your GS so far?
Good luck with your trade.
I had a GTR before getting the GS. I am still running the GY Eagle F1 with 8/32 tread, and I am fine. In heavy rains on highways, I am limited to 50 MPH (80 KILO), other than that I find they are totally fine in cold temps on dry roads. I have also owned Z350/370, so road noise etc is of no concern lol after driving one of those with the stock Bridgestone RE050A, everything else is quiet in comparison. I will be putting on Michelins on the GS very soon. I am not one to mod to void the warranty on my high performance cars; I completely admire and respect those that do..... the money, time and sweat put into making the many awesome corvettes and other high performance vehicles I enjoy reading about and looking at here on the forum brings much enjoyment..... but its just not my thing. I like my vehicles factory stock, and thats why one of the Z cars would of been a much better choice. I made the wrong decision based on wanting an open air experience. A vert here in Vancouver is just not great for a daily driver, I did give the 427 some thought. It rains WAY to much for a dd, and theft from tops being cut is prevalent in some areas. I lived and learned. Although I am really really yearning for the extra power and performance a Z car would of brought and I made the wrong decision, Im hoping the top off experience next May - Sept helps lesson the burn, and have decided my best and smartest option is to now wait and trade up to a C7 Z car next year (provided they are available and I like the car). If not, I am sure I will figure something out. I picked up the GS with 3LT loaded with F55, 2 tops, NPP and every other available option but the 4LT leather trim interior for under 50k, so I wont be too bad off when trade up time comes. Thanks all for your suggestions on the matter.... I figured posting this may help those who are undecided between the two ( or 3 ) corvettes and maybe help someone make the right decision with their purchase!

Last edited by kck77; 10-28-2012 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: My thoughts after the first 10 days with my new 2012 GS