C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my austin barnet Z51 badges, where to put them?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
The OP asked for opinions.

You're try to come across as open minded in your posts, yet your comments clearly show you to be otherwise.
No...not really. Firstly since I'm supposed to "take my own advice" I didn't say "be open minded". I said "don't call people posers". Why? Because it's the kind of thing you call someone when you're in middle school. We're big boys. We don't need to talk like that anymore. mkay?

Now, the idea that anyone who wants to put emblems on the side of their car must be trying to pass it off as something it isn't is preposterous and it continues to come up TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Did you ever think maybe he just likes the aesthetic effect of having something filling up some of the empty space on the fenders? No.....SURELY he must be insatiably envious of the obviously more well-heeled forum members who drive Z06s and ZR1s.

I have a Z06 spoiler on my car (never mind the fact that it's also the OEM spoiler on a grand sport). Is it even remotely conceivable that the presence of that spoiler would be construed as trying to pass off my car as a Z06?

The "poser" argument is rendered utterly baseless by the fact that....

A) The OPs badges don't actually proclaim anything about the car that isn't true. It doesn't claim to be a ZR1. It doesn't actually claim to be anything other than what it is in fact. That would be the exact antithesis of "posing". Its simply a badge that looks kind of similar to the one used on the ZR1. That's called a "styling cue" and just about every OEM trades them between their various cars and trucks.

B) Anyone who knows enough about C6s to recognize that base C6s don't have fender badges and higher level ones do would be deceived for precisely no time at all since they have a functioning set of eyes and an instantaneous recognition of the more obvious differences between the models.

C) Anyone who DOESN'T know anything about C6s wouldn't automatically make any assumptions at all about a C6 with a badge on it because they don't know it from any other Corvette.

"Posing" aside, the other flak this guy is taking is from people who feel some kind of inexplicable need to delineate between an "option" and a "model" as if sticking a badge on a car must be justified by a minimum quantity of readily identifiable differences between it and another car of the same platform.

I don't think I needed anything more than the examples from my previous post to point out why that's just plain stupid. GM badges "options" all the time. That argument holds no water.

The OP joined the forum last month and instead of getting friendly opinions on an appearance mod, he's inadvertently managed to stumble upon one of the most frequently opened cans of worms in the C6 section. This is an open forum and stuff like that has a tendency to drive people away from posting anything at all because they expect to get a litany of useless responses that don't actually accomplish anything.

This is one of the reasons why CF has something of an infamous reputation around other internet car communities. (Trust me...it does).

Last edited by JSB LS3; 10-23-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:41 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by glenB
The OP asked for opinions.

You're try to come across as open minded in your posts, yet your comments clearly show you to be otherwise.
You opened with poser. You don't get to backpedal to the high road.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
Torchy2000
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was judging a mustang show last summer, having pulled up in my vette. After the show I was having coffee with some of the guys. They said "You know? You seem to be a pretty nice guy. Most of stuff I read online from the vette folks, seems like they are arrogant, opinionated, self-righteous a$$hats!"

I know! truly bizarre, right!??

ENJOY your new badges! Place them wherever you like! Revel in driving YOUR slice of the American dream!!

Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by CaryBob
you're going to get some people who suggest that you put them anywhere but on the car.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by cldgin2
Do not allow people to sway you ... You ordered them because you wanted them.. You thought they would look good. Put them in the same place as the Zr1 badge. Then post pics, because mine is a Z51 and I want the Z06 style badges for mine.

*note* GM badges RPO codes all the time. Infact if you want to get technical, there are officially licensed Z51 badges, hence GM supports the idea of badging Z51.

From one Z51 owner to another: Go for it!
Nice try, but WRONG. The only reason they are licensed by GM is GM wants money for using the GM name.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by JSB LS3
Nobody should ever use the word "poser" in an adult conversation. It makes you sound like a 12 year old.

by the way....RPO code....GM committed the same atrocity and badged it right from the factory!!!

And while this one is actually code WU8, the "SS" designation is absolutely an "option" package on a Z28 "model".

OP, nobody outside of this message board gives a damn whether about an option code being badged or not badged. Your opposition is comprised primarily of pedantic old farts that have nothing better to do than tell other people how to spend their money, as if there were some kind of rule book. It's mostly a result of the insecurity that someone might see a badged coupe/vert and not know enough to recognize that said pedants are clearly a higher class of people who spent $30,000-60,000 more on their Corvettes than the base model peons.

I've had more than a few people who are car fans, but not necessarily vette aficionados ask me if my car was a ZR1 because of the "SUPERCHARGED" emblem. I always tell them that it's absolutely not but I do admit I get a little bit of satisfaction out of the fact that the question alone would drive some of the hardasses in this thread absolutely flipping nuts if they were to overhear it.

Put them wherever you think they look "right" on the car.

Couple things.... Some members ACTUALLY believe the Z51 is a model, I kid you not.

It doesn't matter if it is an option code or whatever, if GM badges the model from the factory, it is meant to have the emblems, if they didn't then it is not.

Why do a lot of these Z51 emblems look a lot like Z06 and ZR1 emblems... Things that make you go hmmmm..... Z.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Racer
Couple things.... Some members ACTUALLY believe the Z51 is a model, I kid you not.

It doesn't matter if it is an option code or whatever, if GM badges the model from the factory, it is meant to have the emblems, if they didn't then it is not.

Why do a lot of these Z51 emblems look a lot like Z06 and ZR1 emblems... Things that make you go hmmmm..... Z.
Who cares if a member says I have a Z51 , or they say I have a Z51 performance package. Sometimes they are simply condensing their post. If they say I have a Z51 and not add the option or performance package are they going to hell.
So what if they look like the Z06 or the ZR1 it is their car and if they are trying to make it look like something it is not that is their right. I don't see why you have to make such a big deal out of it. Their car they can say and do as they please with it.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM
JSB LS3
Melting Slicks

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
*shrug* so? I know it isn't, you know it isn't.....everyone who's EVER read one of threads you've responded to knows it isn't....why bother policing other people at this point? Let them spend their money as they choose. If nothing else it should give you more fodder for quietly laughing at them from your ivory tower should it not?

If that's the case, your car is MEANT to have chrome wheels and blue emblem accents on it, because that's what GM fitted from the factory. But it doesn't! *gasp*

If we're going to split hairs that thin, your car is actually pretending to be a 2013 because black ZR1 wheels weren't available when it was built.

In my opinion, the aftermarket ones are stylized like the OEM ones because they look "correct" on the car. It's unlikely you'd see somebody put an "LS3" emblem on a C6 that was done in the cursive font from a '69 Stingray right? It would look grossly out of context.

However, if someone swapped an LS3 into a '69 and wanted a little custom touch to denote it, a badge done like that would make a certain degree of sense wouldn't it?

If you're out to fool somebody into thinking your car is a ZR1 by fitting a Z51 badge that's stylized the same way, you'd better make sure you don't actually let them get close enough to the car to READ the badge.

....oh and hope they don't have binoculars.....

Last edited by JSB LS3; 10-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:41 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

It's not a Vette but I have a Z-71 Silverado that has a Z-71 off-road package on it and it has a big factory sticker on it that says Z-71 and that is the way everyone I know references those trucks. "Hey, you have that white Z-71, right??" Z-71 is just an option too!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:44 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not on your car.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Don LT-1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No...not really. Firstly since I'm supposed to "take my own advice" I didn't say "be open minded". I said "don't call people posers". Why? Because it's the kind of thing you call someone when you're in middle school. We're big boys. We don't need to talk like that anymore. mkay?

Now, the idea that anyone who wants to put emblems on the side of their car must be trying to pass it off as something it isn't is preposterous and it continues to come up TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Did you ever think maybe he just likes the aesthetic effect of having something filling up some of the empty space on the fenders? No.....SURELY he must be insatiably envious of the obviously more well-heeled forum members who drive Z06s and ZR1s.

I have a Z06 spoiler on my car (never mind the fact that it's also the OEM spoiler on a grand sport). Is it even remotely conceivable that the presence of that spoiler would be construed as trying to pass off my car as a Z06?

A) The OPs badges don't actually proclaim anything about the car that isn't true. It doesn't claim to be a ZR1. It doesn't actually claim to be anything other than what it is in fact. That would be the exact antithesis of "posing". Its simply a badge that looks kind of similar to the one used on the ZR1. That's called a "styling cue" and just about every OEM trades them between their various cars and trucks.

B) Anyone who knows enough about C6s to recognize that base C6s don't have fender badges and higher level ones do would be deceived for precisely no time at all since they have a functioning set of eyes and an instantaneous recognition of the more obvious differences between the models.

C) Anyone who DOESN'T know anything about C6s wouldn't automatically make any assumptions at all about a C6 with a badge on it because they don't know it from any other Corvette.

"Posing" aside, the other flak this guy is taking is from people who feel some kind of inexplicable need to delineate between an "option" and a "model" as if sticking a badge on a car must be justified by a minimum quantity of readily identifiable differences between it and another car of the same platform.

I don't think I needed anything more than the examples from my previous post to point out why that's just plain stupid. GM badges "options" all the time. That argument holds no water.

The OP joined the forum last month and instead of getting friendly opinions on an appearance mod, he's inadvertently managed to stumble upon one of the most frequently opened cans of worms in the C6 section. This is an open forum and stuff like that has a tendency to drive people away from posting anything at all because they expect to get a litany of useless responses that don't actually accomplish anything.

This is one of the reasons why CF has something of an infamous reputation around other internet car communities. (Trust me...it does).
Well Said!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 PM
hulksdaddy
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Badges are cool. Those that don't like 'em, don't get them.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:07 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Well said
To the OP, put the badges where you yhink they look the best...for you, and not anyone else
Old 10-23-2012, 08:07 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dam! Do I have to sell my ZR1 repro wheels? Later! Frank
Old 10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fnsblum
Dam! Do I have to sell my ZR1 repro wheels? Later! Frank
Yes!!! You get those poser wheels off of your car right now and put on some plain-jane painted C6 wheels!! How dare you try to make people think your car is a ZR1!!! By the way, nice-looking ride with some killer wheels on it!!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:12 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by RedC6
Since you are spending money on useless trivia, I,ve got some swamp land in Arizona I,ve been wanting to sell.....
Hey where? I might be interested.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by irvbulldogs72
You opened with poser. You don't get to backpedal to the high road.
No...
I had a response for both of you, but figured ... what's the point, all you see is your side, and only your side is the correct side.

Get notified of new replies

To Just got my austin barnet Z51 badges, where to put them?!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM
donzi1
Pro

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Do they make"LZ2" badges?
My Great Grandfather on my Mothers side flew an LZ2

But they never made badges for him...Ed
Old 10-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

Forget the Z51 to badge or not to badge argument, for all of you ******** who keep referring to other people as "posers":

It's POSEUR, a poser is a person who poses, like a model.

A POSEUR is
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poseur : a person who pretends to be what he or she is not : an affected or insincere person

Now back to wasting 0's and 1's arguing about Z51 badges

Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
RickMG
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Amazing everyone's against putting the badge on (by the way, I love the badge on the back). All of you must have a heart attack when you see one of these go by. Not even an option but an aftermarket item. How dare them do this to a Corvette?

Quick Reply: Just got my austin barnet Z51 badges, where to put them?!