C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rigged Car show in San Antonio tx, Sad..

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 10:50 PM
cnov130
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rigged Car show in San Antonio tx, Sad..

I want to start off this thread by saying I am a car enthusiast. I appreciate all kinds of cars, import, Domestic, Modded or stock. I have a love for all kinds of cars that are "Cool". I experianced a really RIGGED judging at a local Mustang car show today. I did not place in the 97+ corvette class out of about 8 other cars. This car show is a big event every year that is a Charity car show. Its been going on for 3+ years now and every year it has less Entrys each year. They wonder why this is? It is a rigged car show and there friends are the winners. I Spent 5 hours last night preping my car for intense Judging to loose to STOCK c6 Vets. To any Texas corvette association members, Im sorry if this offenceds you but ALL THE WINNERS had on nametags for the association.. Due you have to be a member to win? I dont agree with these results. If I would have lost to a worthy component I would not have been upset, but to stock corvette verts? come on now.

The Problem is that people came up to me after I lost MAD that the cars with lots of time and money into them didnt place anything! There was another beautiful 05 vet Black Blown, On some nice wheels and widebody. This Charity car show is skrinking due to competitors and Spectators being Shocked by the results! This is WHAT IS WRONG WITH CAR SHOWS. These NON Car loving judges, are not realizing the point of a CAR SHOW. It is for people to creat something Special and Unique, Works of art. Not GOING TO THE CHEVY DEALER AND DRIVING TO A CAR SHOW! Anyone can buy a stock corvette. It takes class and taste to build something Special.

Link to the car show...
http://samustang.com/

Here is a Picture of the winners,
07 vert, Bone stock
? Pace car.
05 Stock c6 not pictured

Here is my z06, custom painted, Hres,Baer, Cammed, Interior 2012 mods, Full System,
Build of paint job.. Thread with lots of pictures.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...green-z06.html

Pictures

and my my friends Ryans 700+whp superchareged 08 c6 wide body.

Before in stock form

After

Last edited by cnov130; 10-21-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
SolidlyStated
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

The stock convertible won and the snakeskin green didn't place?

I call shenanigans on that crap...

The green and the converted atomic are the best two cars shown above.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:58 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Sounds like legit reason to show, pass on the judging/trophy thing and just enjoy yourself!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

I like the green.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Sorry for your loss, I would just like to add, I am a car enthusiast as much or more than most people, but I do not like all cars, but the cars I like I am very enthusiastic about.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:18 PM
cnov130
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to clarify, I dont care about a winner plaq, but feel its the principal. Also a Beautiful 2012 z06 didnt place.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:22 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

Originally Posted by cnov130
Just to clarify, I dont care about a winner plaq, but feel its the principal. Also a Beautiful 2012 z06 didnt place.
It's nothing new...sadly happens everywhere.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:25 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

its why i dont attend any club dealer shows, waste of time.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:48 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Not surprised!

I'm not surprised, shows are "rigged" all the time. About the only way an outsider might win a class is if he is the ONLY entry in that class. Otherwise, he is out of luck! Then another sad thing, who ever puts on the show - furnish the cheap trophies, plaque, etc., sound system, etc. gets ALL of the remaining entry fees which can be substantial UNLESS it is a legitimate charity event. The sponsor of the show usually takes a "beating" on his business, I just ran on to a BBQ sponsor who is suspending most of the shows for lack of business.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:52 PM
KX
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I gave up on car shows nearly 20 years ago! Most are indeed rigged. I heard this from a show official and a rather big time Corvette guy who ended up in BG as well as experiencing it first hand. I also now have no use for car clubs....too inbred! !
Old 10-22-2012, 01:33 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Was this the show in the Forum? If so it is run by the Alamo Area Corvette Club, different then the Texas Corvette Assocation (TCA), the TCA holds there during April in Boerne and has TCA Vette class and non TCA Vette class other than ZR1/Z06 all together.

Oh been there done that with Alamo Area
Old 10-22-2012, 06:01 AM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Sounds like sour grapes ...
Old 10-22-2012, 06:29 AM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You didn't loose to a stock car. Unless, you entered it in the stock class. Yours should have been entered in the modified class. You have to pay attention to what class your entering in or you've lost before it started.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Get used to it pal. At most car shows it's who you know not what you have. Especially ones sponsored by car clubs.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I don't bother entering car shows, I know most are rigged and I really don't give a crap what they think of my car. I do it for me, I like to share pics on here, but other than that, I attend the occasional cruise in etc, but nothing more. Just not worth the headache and long day.
I would rather go, park walk around check out the rides and when I am done, leave.
I would agree that your car and the AO should have placed over the other cars.
David
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM
JKbride
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts
W. GA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

Having judged about 50 car shows in my life as part of clubs etc, I can tell you few shows are rigged. Sometimes shows don’t organize their judging well, and the perception to those who don’t win is it was rigged, when in truth it was just a poor judging effort. Keep in mind in most local shows the judges are volunteers and are not professionals.

Sure, I have walked away from shows frustrated too. A couple of years ago, just two weeks after winning my class at the Trans Am Nationals (about 500 cars) I showed up at a Top 50 local show (with about 65 cars) and did not get an award. I know what my car is, that good enough for me….I don’t need a judge at a local show to tell me its great….if you need that then you should not go to shows.

In some cases you will have multiple teams of judges who sadly are not on the same sheet of music. I saw this once a few years ago in a show with about 80 cars. In this case, 90% of the winners came from the first two rows, which were judged by the easier team….it was embarrassing and sadly brought our show to its knees. That was 4 years ago and the show still has not fully recovered….ugh. Stupid yes, rigged no.

Your car is nice from the pics, but so are the others. Factors like how detailed the cleaning was, how your car shows in a certain light, displays and paperwork, how the everything flows together on your car, is it over done or low quality….all impact a judge’s decision. In the end, in an open class like you were, sometimes more is not better…maybe the judge appreciates what it takes to have a nice stock car vs a modded one…who knows maybe they don't like Bright Green, but in the end they liked the others better.

Because you did not win does not mean the show was rigged. In truth, I’m a little surprised you would post pictures of the winners, at the same time conveying the message they didn’t deserve to win because you didn’t. IMO that is poor form and unsportsman like.

I would recommend you provide some constructive feedback to the club that ran the show…..trust me, if it’s delivered the right way they will be very receptive and try to improve the judging and or perception of the show being unfair.

Last edited by JKbride; 10-22-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:55 AM
beepster
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Ah, yet another reason for not entering car shows. Politics of any kind give me diarrhea...

Get notified of new replies

To Rigged Car show in San Antonio tx, Sad..

Old 10-22-2012, 07:56 AM
WICKEDFRC
Race Director

Received 1,652 Likes on 738 Posts

Your frusteration and rant is well understood.

I once entered a "Car Show" which was mainly just to secure a piece of real estate and have fun. But when the trophies were handed out, I am sure everyone was in total disbelief a f#$@ing PT Cruiser "stole the show.". Yup.....The class was a sorry 1985-Present which included half the lot. And for the love of God.....a PT Cruiser took Best of Show? Talk about being rigged and complete BS. Regardless, I knew there were at least 10 cars more show quality and deserving over mine, and moreso, the PT Cruiser.

So, if you are reading this, the car show was somewhere in Vail, Arizona at a Country Club. I think it was titled "Cops and Rodders".

So, I feel your frusteration. Seems like integrity has no place in a car show anymore. How sad.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:59 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

How were the cars judged? Many parking lot shows are judged by the spectators who show up and look at the cars as they walk around and they vote. Very few are actually judged by judges appointed by the show sponsor. It would help to explain the judging process and how they classified cars.

BTW, I have done some judging in a professional show that brings in million dollar cars from all over the country. Even in a professionally run show there are different criteria for how the cars are judged. Some are true "concours" shows that are meant to judge a car on outright condition and originality, while in many shows they instruct you to consider subjective and intangible criteria - and they tell you that at the end of the day it is a beauty contest. I was judging Corvettes a few years ago and my partner and I did not award an absolutely perfect L88 the winner because a well known vintage Corvette store had bought it as a barn find and it was actually a little too perfect. We felt like there was no history behind the car and it was too much of a show car - sort of like a beautiful women who had been surgically enhanced.

Last edited by jschindler; 10-22-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Do them for the charity. Forget a trophy.

Quick Reply: Rigged Car show in San Antonio tx, Sad..