C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking a Z06 - need advice/carfax hook up

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 02:15 AM
mousetom78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking a Z06 - need advice/carfax hook up

Let me introduce myself, my name is Tom and from MD. I am using same mousetom78 on ls1tech, viperclub, Ls1GTO and svtperformance forums for many years. I am new to corvette world and forum but not performance world. I owned a Viper, 03 Cobra, LS1 Fbodies Trans AM and Camaro, 06 GTO and a 08 5.3 Impala SS. We still have 00' LS1 Camaro Z M6 and 08 Impala SS for our family and daily driver. I am looking to replace my Viper as my "toy". Z06 is toping my list. How will a Z06 compared to stock 03 Dodge Viper and feel.

First of, is it OK to buy a 2006 first year Z vs 2007 2008 or newer and be reliable. After research, I know 06 Z is lightest and more aggressive tune from factory so 1/4 time is quicker from factory. I also heard exhaust valve Can you tell me what else can i look for some I don't make first time buyer mistake.

Also, I am going to look at a 2006 Z06 with 53k yellow with navigation this week and we agree to price of 34,800 on phone, the guy payoff. It is yellow with almost bone stock wild to mild and Ipod hook up for stock stereo. I heard there is an exhaust valve issue on z06 and it may blow entire motor.

Can someone nice enough to run vin number for me? Tell me if it a clean car with no accident past?

1G1YY26E365109650

Last edited by mousetom78; 10-10-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mousetom78
Let me introduce myself, my name is Tom and from MD. I am using same mousetom78 on ls1tech, viperclub, Ls1GTO and svtperformance forums for many years. I am new to corvette world and forum but not performance world. I owned a Viper, 03 Cobra, LS1 Fbodies Trans AM and Camaro, 06 GTO and a 08 5.3 Impala SS. We still have 00' LS1 Camaro Z M6 and 08 Impala SS for our family and daily driver. I am looking to replace my Viper as my "toy". Z06 is toping my list. How will a Z06 compared to stock 03 Dodge Viper and feel.

First of, is it OK to buy a 2006 first year Z vs 2007 2008 or newer and be reliable. After research, I know 06 Z is lightest and more aggressive tune from factory so 1/4 time is quicker from factory. I also heard exhaust valve Can you tell me what else can i look for some I don't make first time buyer mistake.

Also, I am going to look at a 2006 Z06 with 53k yellow with navigation this week and we agree to price of 34,800 on phone, the guy payoff. It is yellow with almost bone stock wild to mild and Ipod hook up for stock stereo. I heard there is an exhaust valve issue on z06 and it may blow entire motor.

Can someone nice enough to run vin number for me? Tell me if it a clean car with no accident past?

1G1YY26E365109650
Haven't heard any negatives on early Z06's.

Running a Carfax for someone is a no-no on here. Copyright violation. Spend the twenty bucks.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:07 AM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Carfax is a joke.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:27 AM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Notes I have kept on 2006 Z06 models...
  • These models only came with a 3 year 36K mile powertrain warranty.
  • No OnStar in 2006.
  • T56 6-speed in 2006 models (replaced by TR6060 in 2008+),
  • No steering wheel audio controls.
  • These cars suffer from a rattle in shifter, especially in cold weather. Replacing the shifter linkage seems to cure the issue.
  • Differential clutches may pop/chatter during tight turns. This condition is usually cured by adding friction modifier to the differential fluid. Rarely may requir updated differential clutch packs.
  • 2006 models used less sound deadening materials and are slightly lighter but only by a negligible amount...like 50 - 75 lbs.
  • The tune is slightly more aggressive than later years with less torque management.
  • Axles were upgraded to stronger units in late 2006 model run. Any '06 with a 5/06 production date or later have the updated axles. Usually only a problem for drag racers.
  • 2 levels of trim: 1LZ, 2LZ Most are 2LZ.
  • 2LZ package includes heated seats, seat memory package, premium sound, telescoping steering, cargo cover & net, and auto dimming rearview mirror.
  • The easiest/fastest way I've found to tell the trim package is to look for the heated seat switches just under the button/switch is under the ac controls on center
  • In 2006, the RPO US9 6-disc CD in-dash player with Boise Premium Sound was a free floating option and could be ordered with a 1LZ base car.
  • All 2006 models were subject to the roof recall. GM tried a different lighter weight material, but tended to seperate from the bonding surface after awhile. The recall replaced the bolt in panel to the older, more proven method. There were actually TWO separate recalls for the roof because the repair method on the first one was only effective short-term.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 AM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I looked at Viper several years back before I had found out and realized that Z06 was a "427 Vette".

Yes, the 'drive' difference is noticeable. Viper has stuck to tradition....their self made tradition of keeping it 'simple' and fast. Result: there are no nannies; meaning there is no active handling or traction control built into those years (you mentioned '03 Viper). So the Viper is much less forgiving. The AH and TC on Vette can be switched off easily. Most inexperienced drivers do not do that because it does help forgive 'stupid' or rather inexperience.

The 2013 Vipers WILL have those nannies simply because it's becoming 'law' that manufacturers have these devices built into the cars they sell today. The 2007 Viper, and their 'experiment with all wheel drive' makes them extremely collectable today if you can even find one. But in real world, it did not work very well. But, still I would love to own a 2007 Viper....no question. I would just need to learn the mechanics of that car to keep it sound for off road.

If memory serves, I think their HP ('03 Viper/'06 Z) is near the same HP up until '05 I think, and the next gen Viper came around upping the HP (Viper). The Vipers I drove when beginning to move up toward their upper limits are very unforgiving. I freely admit, I do NOT posess the skill level required to drive one at it's upper limits. Don't get me wrong. Had Z06 'not' been a 427 Vette', Viper is what I would own today. They are sweet cars.

As far as aftermarket parts availability, Viper is VERY expensive to own in that manner. Fewer shops make aftermarket parts for them.....but this is all something I think you know. Vette on the other hand, yes, there is Vette tax, but it's insignificant in comparison. And there is MUCH more to choose from in so far as types of parts and in many applications, more than one or two makers as well.

2006 Z06 is as you know the 'first' year of C6 Z06. (in case your wondering what C6 means=the sixth generation Corvette-which will end in about six months and moving to the seventh gen=first showing scheduled in Jan or Feb at Detroit Auto Show)

The only issue at that time (2006) was roof separation. The Z06 sub structure is built from lightweight materials (all years). They used adhesive to affix the roof to substructure. The particular adhesive used that year did not hold up resulting in the "flying roof syndrome". GM issued recall and most (unless original owner did not return the car) fixed the issue. If your '06 your looking at has NOT been done, GM will still take care of it today free of charge.

That was the ONLY issue for 2006. The Z06 has been updated over the years from '06 thru '12. Today, the 2013's, as far as we know, nothing was updated. BUT, a couple years ago the 'Z07' package was added (if buyer wanted it) and it added things such as more carbon fiber parts (lighten weight), carbon ceramic brakes (if not track driven will last literally the life of the car-unless tracked, then they'll still some refreshing) are the two big pieces of that pkg.

In 2008 the trannies were updated from the tried and true T-56 to the T-6060. The later will hold approx 25-30% more power. The tranny was further updated in 2010 with carbon fiber synchro's, in 1-2 and 3-4 I think it was. In 2009 the electronics were changed from Delphi to Bosch. In 2010 lanuch control was added. I have NEVER used it.

Valve issue: Some guys have lost their motor from this. GM has been good at replacing most unless the car was mod (meaning tune changed, cams added etc.) Then your on your own. 2006's are out of warranty. Unless the previous owner purchased a GMPP during or before the 3/36 ended. Alot of hype has been about valve guide wear, getting out of tolerance and cause the exhaust valve to brak. They use the NA+ exht valve from factory. Katch says there are no issies from these. (Katech is a performance shop which has built the Corvette racing engines + many others.) These things you may or may not know, that's why I'm mentioning.

If you keep up w/these things, there are fixes which guys do. Myself, I am waiting for guidance from GM. They have said that there were "some" heads from their makers in Canada which were machined out of tolerance. They also say it affected some 2009, 2010 and 2011 'Z's. A GM rep is supposed to make a thread on guidance as what to do.

I personally own a 2010. I do not know if it's affected or not. But in any case, there is supposed to be guidance forthcoming.

The 2006 Z06 had no known issues other than the roof. As far a vlave issue, there is not much to go on. One symptom is oil usage/smoking. i have noticed on deacceleration. It's not uncommon for a high performance motor to use 'some' oil under hard, upper limit use. The 427 rev's to 7k rpm. They "love" to rev. Their really sweet spot is around 4k to 6.5k rpm. They have butt loads of torque to. While may not have as much as that V10 Viper may have.

Can I ask, why have you decided to leave the Viper group?

If my wallet said I could, I would have a '05-09 Viper in my shop along side my 2010 Z06. I do like the Viper.

In terms of production, they have not made as many Z06's in past three model years as they did from 2006-2008. In 2009 half as many were made compared to 2008. The vast majority of C6Z06 were produced in year 2006-2008, then:

2009=less than 3k built
2010=518 built
2011=904 built
2012=478 built.

2013 still counting but, since there is now a 427 (one year only) Vert, I doubt seriously those number will increase, maybe even be fewer.

The ZR1 was intro'd in 2009.
The Grand Sport was intro'd in 2010.
The economy tanked in '08.

So, the Z06 was Corvettes 'halo' car until 2009 when ZR came. Until 2010, the ONLY widebody Vette came in the 'Z' model (Z model are the light chassis-higher HP Vettes).

Today, Vette buyers can buy the widebody Vette with some parts from Z06. They have the LS3 engine which is a great engine. I used to have one in a Vert I parted with to buy my Z06. I've always wanted a 427 Vette. So I finally broke down and bought a new one. Until that time I had never spent that much money on a car. But, I wanted a new one so that's what I got.

Hope I have not offended you by putting in info you already knew. I have no clue what your knowledge of Vettes are.....

Any questions-shoot away.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by HummelS

Running a Carfax for someone is a no-no on here.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...71-carfax.html
Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

with all this knowledge of other cars, it seems to me that OP needs a bit more seasoning to become a Z owner. I don't mean that in a bad way, but if you don't want to get taken, and truly find a good car, it's going to take a little more than one thread posted and a few reads of Z threads.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:48 PM
tim414
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by AORoads
with all this knowledge of other cars, it seems to me that OP needs a bit more seasoning to become a Z owner. I don't mean that in a bad way, but if you don't want to get taken, and truly find a good car, it's going to take a little more than one thread posted and a few reads of Z threads.
Maybe I should have 'saved my breath' so to speak....
Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tim414
Maybe I should have 'saved my breath' so to speak...
Hey, I appreciated your post! It's going into my personal Z06 info file...the one I'm building for when I finally get off my duff and buy a used Z myself.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:52 PM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Some people have reported that you can get a GM dealer to run the vin to see if there have been any issues with that specific car. The roof issue, any reported valve problems, etc. that have been dealt with at a dealer.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I appreciated your post too Tim, as a matter of fact I wanted to comment about the Viper info you posted but did not want to hijack the thread. Quickly the hp from 03-06 was 500 and became 600 from 08-10. Never heard of an 07 or "experiment" you refer to, 2007 Vipers did not exist to my knowledge. As for performance or repair their is Roe, Arrow, Hennessey (although no one likes him) the guy in Cali (Dan Cragen maybe), Woodhouse etc. Plenty easy to get them worked on also and not hard at all to get parts! Great post though, it must have taken some time to prepare!!
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 AM
mousetom78
Advanced

Thank you for all the advice. I went and looked at the z06 yesterday. It was very 'clean" car with normal wear and tear but LOOKED NICE. Seller have a set of new brakes and new set of Nitto Invo on the car. We agree on 34800 sale, it has 52k miles and the 06 Z has a navigation on it.

I took it for a test drive for about 5 mins. I did little downshift and i took it up to about 70 mph and downshift to 4th gear and I took it down to 3rd at around 50-60 to about 4500 rpm. It shifts pretty good. It wasn't my car and I was respectful. It doesnt feel as low end torque as the Viper. It was little more road noise than i expected but it is about the same as Viper. The little switch for mild to wild exhaust makes that thing sounds GOOD.

Big question

The clutch is SOFT. It is softer than my LS1 camaro It was little disappointed with cold clutch and the soft clutch doesn't bite. It was bite better and clutch was little harder after 5 mins driving it but test drive was over. The owner said it will bite a lot harder after 20 mins. What's your guys take on it with the clutch with z06?

I sold the 03 Viper because i didn't want a convertible any more. I wanted a 06 coupe but i can't find a clean titled one for less than 55k and 08-10 Viper couple are at 65k plus is out of my budget of 50k and under. I paid 42k for a my 2003 Viper back in 2008 with 12k miles on it. I am paying 35k for this vette and I can pay it off in 3 years and I can keep it and buy 08-10 viper for less later in couple years and keep the z06.

As far as Viper compared to Corvette goes, Viper was a "celebrity" car. Everyone takes notice of it. Viper was fast but the lack of standard equipments like no Traction control don't brother me. However, the ride is rough on it. You look good in it and go fast but it is not very comfortable for you and your date lol... Mods are very expensive with Viper because of lack of production. I can't find anyone knows how to work on one in the area and I live in Maryland. I don't think a corvette Z06 or ZR1 as "cool" as Viper because GM has problem with separating a base 40k vette vs a 80k z06 or 100k ZR1. That's the problem why corvette doesn't a "wow" factor like Viper. I believe C6Z is faster than 03-06 Viper stock vs stock. Dodge upped their game in 08 and newer 4th gen viper are equals to ZR1 performance. Aftermarket is bigger and cheaper for corvette so it is a plus
Old 10-12-2012, 12:09 AM
mousetom78
Advanced

Forgot the mention the deal is done and my bank cut the check. I am picking the car up tomorrow.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking a Z06 - need advice/carfax hook up

Quick Reply: Looking a Z06 - need advice/carfax hook up