C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 12:50 AM
NotEnoughToys
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car

Jesus, I posted a different story last week on bad dealers, check this out !
Article >>>

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...152707580.html

Video >>>

When you own a sports car, you inevitably get a little paranoid about how it's treated when in the care of strangers. One South Carolina man was worried enough that when he took his 2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS in for service at a Chevy dealer, he hid a voice recorder in the car. He was right to be worried: The recorder caught mechanics doing burnouts and discussing how to make the owner pay for a ruined clutch the car didn't have before coming in. Now the Internet Justice League has taken the wheel.William Clark says he took his Camaro to Best Chevrolet-Kia in Easley, S.C. for a clunking noise in the car's six-speed manual transmission. After a previous visit to a different dealer, his Camaro had died shortly after Clark retrieved it; while he suspected the staff at that dealership of joyriding, he had no proof at the time.

This time, the voice recorder hidden in the door pocket catches employees doing several burnouts and hard launches in the Camaro; Smith later says the techs drove it harder in 20 minutes than he had in three years. Once back in the shop, the mechanics realize the Camaro's clutch has been fried, and come up with a plan to blame the damage on Smith, saying to "write it up as him buying a (expletive) clutch," while saying another part failed under warranty so that General Motors would pay for its replacement.

Smith says he's taken his evidence to the dealer and Chevrolet customer service; the dealer offered to reassess the damage or take the Camaro as a trade-in on another car, but refused Smith's demand to buy the car back. Smith says Chevrolet customer service washed it hands of the problem, saying it was an issue between him and the dealer. As of the last update, the car's smoked clutch remains untouched.

Unfortunately for Smith, there's few other steps he can take that don't end in court. Dealers are regulated by states; Clark can file a complaint with South Carolina officials, but even with an audio recording the assessment of damage isn't so clear-cut as if the mechanics had wrecked it on a test drive. Instead, other Camaro owners have taken up the cause, posting Smith's video to the dealership's Facebook page and otherwise making noise about the problem.

You can hear the entire exchange, including the profanity, here. A lawyer for Best Chevrolet, in a request to Yahoo Autos to take down this story, told us in an email that the audio was "misleadingly edited." Clark has said the dealership has threatened to sue him over the audio, but has also spoken with him about buying the Camaro back. The dealership may soon learn that in the Internet era, one burnt clutch can create quite the stink.

UPDATE: General Motors says in a statement that if the recording is valid it does not condone the behavior described, and that it is "actively working closely with the dealer to resolve this situation to the customer's satisfaction."
The following 2 users liked this post by NotEnoughToys:
CorvetteBrent (08-22-2022), vettefloorleakingc8 (08-20-2022)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 AM
jr3
Safety Car

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

I read this earlier on yahoo. No way should service people be taking joyrides in customer cars...

Several people in the past have posted excessive miles reported on their cars after picking the cars up after service. I think there should be some kind of penalty for this kind of abuse.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:47 AM
Isaac125
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never leave my car alone for service!
If needed, I'll take a day off or send my brother with the car, and keep an eye on it the owl service time.
When the mechanic take the car for test drive i ask nicely to go with him.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:59 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

In the lunch room the other day,a friend says he got a ride in a ZR1 yesterday he said he couldn't believe how fast and strong it was!!! I said who owned it a friend? he said no,his buddy works at a dealership and the car was in for service, and the service manager took them for rides in it.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:07 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
In the lunch room the other day,a friend says he got a ride in a ZR1 yesterday he said he couldn't believe how fast and strong it was!!! I said who owned it a friend? he said no,his buddy works at a dealership and the car was in for service, and the service manager took them for rides in it.
Totally ridiculous that this kind of crap is happening and it seems frequently. I hate to be overly paranoid, but whats a guy to do? If you read that story, even if you can prove it there's not much you can do about it. Just last week I took mine in and before I could walk to the showroom, I seen mine leaving the lot and taking off down the road.
The following users liked this post:
CorvetteBrent (08-22-2022)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM
MKenM
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 275 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'21

That's the reason I won't leave mine at the stealership. If they need to take it on a test ride I'm with the car!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

The perps should be canned and the owner compensated with a factory fresh car. That's ridiculous!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Not C6 related.

Posted in OT.

Get notified of new replies

To Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car

Quick Reply: Camaro owner records mechanics abusing car