C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Actually, get a set of base vette wheels with some all-season tires. The diameters will work, although the tires will obviously be narrower. The handling capability will be reduced, but all the systems will function fine.
That was my point. As long as they stick out as far to where the stockers did the only difference will be in how far under the car they go.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
kck77
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Of course smaller wheels will throw off the handling. No more than so cold tires on cold pavement though. If the tire is the sime diameter but on a smaller rim you can still drive it just fine. If you the tire is the same diameter but thinner on a thinner rim you can drive it just fine.

Will handling be changed? Absolutely. But would you worry about it? No, because you wont be taking many corners above the posted speed limits anyway because of the temperature of the road and the tires.

For everyday driving a slimmer tire with the same diameter wont hurt anything unless he tries to take some corners at a high rate of speed. Which I am doubting he would do in the same conditions with the stock tires. So where is the difference?

If thinner ones cause that so will wider ones yet we see people going up multiple sizes without complaining or having the nannies go all over hell under normal driving conditions.

Im not going to waste my time arguing this with you; if you want to run smaller wheels and tires on your GS, that is your choice..... the vehicle was manufactured with the given wheel and tires size for a reason; the tires that I listed above will provide everything the OP needs without changing wheel and tires sizes....If he wants a better performing tire over the stock GY, a simple tire swap will do; no need to go buying whole new sets of smaller wheels and tires. It is completely pointless to be changing to smaller wheels and tires and I am sure 99% of forum members would agree...... The ugly stance and huge gaps in between the tire and the wheel well is enough to keep the OEM wheel and tires size on the vehicle alone.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:29 PM
adrnln1
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

PM sent
Old 10-08-2012, 04:09 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kck77
Im not going to waste my time arguing this with you; if you want to run smaller wheels and tires on your GS, that is your choice..... the vehicle was manufactured with the given wheel and tires size for a reason; the tires that I listed above will provide everything the OP needs without changing wheel and tires sizes....If he wants a better performing tire over the stock GY, a simple tire swap will do; no need to go buying whole new sets of smaller wheels and tires. It is completely pointless to be changing to smaller wheels and tires and I am sure 99% of forum members would agree...... The ugly stance and huge gaps in between the tire and the wheel well is enough to keep the OEM wheel and tires size on the vehicle alone.
You are so far off base. What is the rear tire hight difference between the base wheels and the GS? You dont know? Well let me tell you.

GS tires in stock size are 27.96 inches tall vs. the base cars of 26.85. To get the variation from the top of the tire to the wheel well IT IS NOT the difference in tire size, it is HALF the difference of the tires size because its only measured on one side. They are not going to have HUGE GAPS betweel the tire and the wheel well openings. Larger than stock? Yes. HUGE? Absolutely not.

Pointless? You are so off base. Lots of people DITCH their stock base wheels for less half of what your tire options are in your respective sizes. Dont think so? Go check the for sale section some time. The thing is it would be EASIER to have a set of wheels for the winter so you dont have to change tires twice a year and be less expensive in the process. Hell, the long life of the base tires would be a cost savings! Ever do a cost benefit analysis? You should try it sometime. You would get multiple cold seasons out of the harder compound on the base cars run flat tires and most likely replace his summer tires once every two years.

Just because 99% of people agree doesnt mean its correct or wrong. Now does it?

Look beyond what your GM manual says and find your common sense. Your reasons have already been disproven by another member and I just shot your points down. Go on thinking you "need" them thar sticky wide tyres for cold weather driving.

Will the tires you mentioned work? Yup, without question....but there is always more than one way to skin a cat. The base wheels/tires would be cheaper in the course of two years vs. your idea to buy new tires. Hell, it would be cheaper RIGHT NOW but you cant see that.

You dont use the power and tires that are on your car driving on the street but you think you must have them....more especially in cold weather. That is laughable.

Your Corvette also was manufactured with the given exhaust, air intake, cam, rear gearing and tuning from the factory. Better let everyone know they are wrong for changing it.

You call it arguing and get upset because your points can be disproven.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

I guess if you have to drive your GS/Z06 in snow then this would be the best option.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/325-30...er-Sport-Style

Pricy though at $570 for the pair.

I personally wouldn't do it but it is a legal option, don't know if they'll clear the car though.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
I guess if you have to drive your GS/Z06 in snow then this would be the best option.

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/325-30...er-Sport-Style

Pricy though at $570 for the pair.

I personally wouldn't do it but it is a legal option, don't know if they'll clear the car though.
Illegal in VA, and I was really, REALLY clear in my OP that I wouldn't be driving in snow, sleet, slush, ice, etc. Just looking for cold weather compound.

Appreciate the common sense approach of the stock wheel suggestion.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Read the Post; its for a GS. The Conti ExtremeContact DWS only goes up to a P295 in a 19"..... GS is P325. There is NO All Season tires made for the rear wheel of the GS.
I just put those DWS Extreme Contact tires by Conti on a 2005 coupe. great smooth quiet comfortable ride.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 AM
kck77
Advanced

You are so far off base. What is the rear tire hight difference between the base wheels and the GS? You dont know? Well let me tell you.

GS tires in stock size are 27.96 inches tall vs. the base cars of 26.85. To get the variation from the top of the tire to the wheel well IT IS NOT the difference in tire size, it is HALF the difference of the tires size because its only measured on one side. They are not going to have HUGE GAPS betweel the tire and the wheel well openings. Larger than stock? Yes. HUGE? Absolutely not.

Pointless? You are so off base. Lots of people DITCH their stock base wheels for less half of what your tire options are in your respective sizes. Dont think so? Go check the for sale section some time. The thing is it would be EASIER to have a set of wheels for the winter so you dont have to change tires twice a year and be less expensive in the process. Hell, the long life of the base tires would be a cost savings! Ever do a cost benefit analysis? You should try it sometime. You would get multiple cold seasons out of the harder compound on the base cars run flat tires and most likely replace his summer tires once every two years.

Look beyond what your GM manual says and find your common sense. Your reasons have already been disproven by another member and I just shot your points down. Go on thinking you "need" them thar sticky wide tyres for cold weather driving.

Will the tires you mentioned work? Yup, without question....but there is always more than one way to skin a cat. The base wheels/tires would be cheaper in the course of two years vs. your idea to buy new tires. Hell, it would be cheaper RIGHT NOW but you cant see that.

You dont use the power and tires that are on your car driving on the street but you think you must have them....more especially in cold weather. That is laughable.

Your Corvette also was manufactured with the given exhaust, air intake, cam, rear gearing and tuning from the factory. Better let everyone know they are wrong for changing it.

Who said anything about switching tires 2 x a year? Purchase a set of the Michelin Super Sports or Michelin PS2 ZP, mount them on your stock rim you have on your car now, and drive through the winter, next spring, next summer and so on until they wear out and need new tires. He specifically stated he is NOT driving through slush, snow, hail or sleet...... his driving conditions are dry pavement with cool temps. I have no idea how you got here lol; he simply asked a question regarding buying smaller wheels so he could purchase smaller all season tires for winter, and I simply replied it is not needed as driving on dry pavement in cooler conditions with stock size Michelins (or Petenzas/Nittos) will be more than sufficient and a great improvement over the OEM GY...... but as I mentioned, to each there own. If you would like to purchase smaller wheels and smaller tires to put on your grand sport to drive on dry pavement, be my guest lol have fun with that.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:47 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Who said anything about switching tires 2 x a year? Purchase a set of the Michelin Super Sports or Michelin PS2 ZP, mount them on your stock rim you have on your car now, and drive through the winter, next spring, next summer and so on until they wear out and need new tires. He specifically stated he is NOT driving through slush, snow, hail or sleet...... his driving conditions are dry pavement with cool temps. I have no idea how you got here lol; he simply asked a question regarding buying smaller wheels so he could purchase smaller all season tires for winter, and I simply replied it is not needed as driving on dry pavement in cooler conditions with stock size Michelins (or Petenzas/Nittos) will be more than sufficient and a great improvement over the OEM GY...... but as I mentioned, to each there own. If you would like to purchase smaller wheels and smaller tires to put on your grand sport to drive on dry pavement, be my guest lol have fun with that.
To be fair, a slimmer tire is bound to give somewhat better traction in cold just by having more weight per square inch on the tread. Your suggestion, where my goodyear's finished, would probably seem the easiest route and perfectly acceptable. Still does, and still thinking about it.

I've driven a C5 through the winter before with no major issues, but much different today. First, I have small kids now and would like to stick around to see their kids and grandkids if I'm able, so I tend to watch out for my own skin a little more these days. Collision avoidance is really important in these cars. Acceptable traction when you don't need to get out of the way in a hurry is fine. When you really need that extra traction, it's worth every penny, and that's true no matter what season. The other thing that is really, really different with my C6 GS over my old C5 is the C5 was stock 325hp. The C6 is a Lingenfelter 600hp.

The other nice thing about a second set of wheels is change is nice. I'm a car nut, and change for the sake of change is my flaw. Changing cars is my needful thing. A new look every six months would be welcome.

My OEM rims WILL have Michelins on them as soon as the GY's are toast.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 AM
jrrjbl
Instructor

CCIE
To your question. Live down in SW VA with a DD GS on GYs. Drove all last winter with no issues on the GY's in outside temps to 38*. Always waited until the sun had been out for a bit.

Very careful until some temp in tires [watched the pressures on rears until I got to 32#]. Certainly no banzai turn ins.

Net not one issue on either highway or other roads. Will change to Michelin SS when I kill the GY's.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jrrjbl
CCIE
To your question. Live down in SW VA with a DD GS on GYs. Drove all last winter with no issues on the GY's in outside temps to 38*. Always waited until the sun had been out for a bit.

Very careful until some temp in tires [watched the pressures on rears until I got to 32#]. Certainly no banzai turn ins.

Net not one issue on either highway or other roads. Will change to Michelin SS when I kill the GY's.
I'd love to move down your way. I need to get out of this rat race one day. I'd love the kids to grow up closer to the colleges I hope they attend. Charlottesville is amazing. I've flown in there a few times, gorgeous. A buddy of mine is making regular trips to college campuses with his kids, getting them excited from grade school. Great idea, I think. Anyway, Charlottesville is supposed to be the best place to live in the U.S., wanna get me some of that. NoVA sure isn't the best place to live. Not bad, just stressful.

How is LE down your way? Do you feel free to enjoy your car a bit without speed traps around every corner?

Sorry to go off topic. I was looking at home listings down there just a week ago, wishful thinking.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 AM
jrrjbl
Instructor

see pm
Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
Illegal in VA, and I was really, REALLY clear in my OP that I wouldn't be driving in snow, sleet, slush, ice, etc. Just looking for cold weather compound.

Appreciate the common sense approach of the stock wheel suggestion.
I would just go with the Super Sports then and drive with less throttle input. I admit the spider chains are extreme but for those that must drive in snow.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:21 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Base C6...fronts are 25.7", rears are 26.85"
Z06/GS....fronts are 25.6", rears are 26.68"
Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

My bad. I was doing math in excel. I bet I used the 35 aspect ratio instead of the 30.

So what you are saying is it WILL NOT throw off any of the nannies or the speedo? thanks for the confirmation.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

My bad. I was doing math in excel. I bet I used the 35 aspect ratio instead of the 30.

So what you are saying is it WILL NOT throw off any of the nannies or the speedo? thanks for the confirmation.
GM made sure their different tire combos are matched in diameter.

For example the 19/20 used on the Z06/ZR1 are 25.7" on the front and 26.6" on the rear.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires