C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPI Splash Guards and Side Skirts are on

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

Default RPI Splash Guards and Side Skirts are on

Long day today. First up was having Clear Bra installed on the car. Had the entire front end done vs a partial on the hood and fenders. In addition, I had him do the rocker panels, along the lower portion of the doors, around and over the rear brake ducts, mirrors, fog lights, head lights, and lastly the carbon fiber side skirts and the rear fender extensions the skirts bolt to. The extensions were done in a matte film to retain the stock appearance vs being glossy.

Install is pretty straight forward. The hardest part was taking a drill bit to a car I just picked up last week with 3 miles on it

I already had the car in the air for the Clear Bra, but typically that would be the first step.

Next install the rear fender extensions by using the existing bolt that secures the inner fender panel. Leave the bolt loose while you align the extension. With the extension aligned, drill the remaining holes and install the bolts.

If you purchased front splash guards (SG), install those next. It was a trial and error activity. I used the lower rocker panel bolt to loosely hold the SG in place. I then got it aligned and drilled the remaining 3 holes. The issue was that the lower bolt hole took some rework since I couldn't move the SG enough with it "as is" to get it aligned. Subscribing to the concept of "measure twice, cut once", it took me an extra 15-20 minutes before I was satisfied.

With the SGs installed, it was on to the side skirts. I loosely screwed them to the rear extension and at the front, under the rocker panel. There is a gap when they are hanging loose, but never fear...it closes up.

With the skirt loosely hung, I began drilling and installing the screws working from the center out doing every other hole and then going back to the others.

With the screws in and snugged down, it fits nicely...

The driver's side is done the same way.

All in all, not too bad

Last edited by 96GS#007; 10-07-2012 at 09:14 AM. Reason: removed duplicate picture
Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Is there any functionality of these side-skirts besides the looks? I got the splash guards, and know that they're very much required in our cars, but I don't see why we need the side-skirts.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:25 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozer
Is there any functionality of these side-skirts besides the looks? I got the splash guards, and know that they're very much required in our cars, but I don't see why we need the side-skirts.
Katech did a series of wind testing with side skirts, front splitter and and spoiler and provided some results. The side skirts contribute to an overall increase in downforce. By themselves, though, it is likely they have minimal impact. I just think they look good.

Here's the write up if you're interested:

http://www.katechengines.com/street_...a%20report.pdf
Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Nice job...but a quick question....

Are the GS Splash Guards available?....last I heard the GS Splash Guards were not able to be ordered.....
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Ozer
As CrvtBB referenced, they are downforce contributors. I have the full width ZR-1 rear spoiler already and I'll be adding the front splitter to complete the package.

Although I like the looks, I also run and instruct at track days. As the Katech study shows, the rear spoiler by itself adds quite a bit of downforce (keep in mind my factory piece will be a little less since it is not quite as aggressive as the Katech part) and I want to balance that with the skirts and splitter. Since the RPI pieces are basically copies of the ZR-1 parts, I figure GM aero testing is good enough for me

Last edited by 96GS#007; 10-07-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Looks Good.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:11 AM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by N2TU
Nice job...but a quick question....

Are the GS Splash Guards available?....last I heard the GS Splash Guards were not able to be ordered.....
Mine are fiberglass pieces from RPI. As mentioned, they took a little work to fit but are otherwise quality parts. I ordered and had them at my door within a week.

Get notified of new replies

To RPI Splash Guards and Side Skirts are on

Quick Reply: RPI Splash Guards and Side Skirts are on