C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Height adjustment bolts seized

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

Default Height adjustment bolts seized

The 90 lbs weight of my new E-Force supercharger I got in July has lowered Red's nose about 3/4" -- just enough for the front air dam to scrape about twice as often as before. After reading umpteen posts here on CF from folks wanting to lower their cars, I didn't expect any problems when I took it to the dealership to get the original ride height restored. "We just adjust the bolts at the ends of the transverse front leaf spring, then do a realignment because that changes everything, especially the camber."

An hour later I get a call from the dealership: "We've run into a problem. The adjustment bolts are seized, and we can't apply heat to loosen them because the leaf spring is fiberglass. We'll have to disassemble the front end to get better leverage on those bolts."

After another hour I got another call: "The bolts are stripped. We need to replace the spring, and that means ordering one from Lansing. No, they can't overnight one -- it's too big."

Fortunately they had to reassemble Red to drive it off the lift, and told me I could have it back for the Columbus Day long weekend (and turn in that POS SUV rental!!). The new spring should arrive noon-ish next Tuesday, so I'll take it back Wednesday.

Am I the first C6 owner here on CF to have his height adjustment bolts seized? Has there ever been a service bulletin issued?
Old 10-05-2012, 03:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

No, not the first. Several posts on seized bolts and/or stripped spring threads. Can't help but wonder if the dealer took the time to apply some penetrant lube and let it soak, although the recommended soak time is usually 24 - 48 hours. So unlikely. Too bad these things happen.

Just FYI there's another new thread in Tech with the seized bolts and too low a front end after a SC install. Put in a new spring, turned the bolts all the way up and the the car is still too low.

Good luck with yours.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:53 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

[QUOTE=RicK T;1582003774 Can't help but wonder if the dealer took the time to apply some penetrant lube and let it soak, although the recommended soak time is usually 24 - 48 hours. So unlikely. Too bad these things happen.[/QUOTE]

Or if they were turning them the right way..........

Get notified of new replies

To Height adjustment bolts seized

Quick Reply: Height adjustment bolts seized