C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace windshield in my 08 and front end has road rash

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:49 PM
legs vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15
Default Need to replace windshield in my 08 and front end has road rash

The dealer gave me a name of a company that replaces windshields with factory windshield. Anything I need to look out for or worry about?

Also, I am getting a few nicks in the front of her and it shows really nice on that black paint. Do I let it go or look at trying to get some paint work?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

There have been many "discussions" here about replacement windshields and whether or not they are factory glass. Apparently it is "almost" impossible to get replacement glass that has the "GM" logo on it, basically only the factory gets that. Some here have said they got genuine GM branded/labeled glass but the vast majority didn't. Supposedly what you do get generally is equivalent but just doesn't have the logo.

That said, most here have had good experiences with Safelite. Here's just one post that I remember with pics:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tallation.html

As for the paint work, if you're ****, then you probably need to fix it but it's just going to get messed up again if you drive much. Look into one of the Clear Bra applications to protect the new paint if you get it done.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Sometimes your insurance company will pay for a new windshield because they understand the safety hazard of a pitted one. That would normally be under Comprehensive coverage, and many folks have $0 ded there because it's so cheap.

You can get the front end repainted, my experience is that repaints can look great but are more prone to future stone chips than the factory paint. Me, I just carefully use the GM touchup paint, it's not perfect but looks much better than nothing. Every few years, some moron pulls out in front of me and I get a new front end for free.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:02 PM
MADinAK
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10,'14

The windshield I got from Safelite was much better than the original GM glass. Just my .02.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 PM
Eritosthenes
Melting Slicks

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

There are two different C6 windshields, one for cars with a HUD and one for cars that don't have a HUD. If your C6 has a HUD, make darned sure that you get that windshield. Don't let anyone try to tell you there's no difference, especially if they don't offer both types.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:18 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by MADinAK
The windshield I got from Safelite was much better than the original GM glass. Just my .02.
How do you judge that it is better?

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
There are two different C6 windshields, one for cars with a HUD and one for cars that don't have a HUD. If your C6 has a HUD, make darned sure that you get that windshield. Don't let anyone try to tell you there's no difference, especially if they don't offer both types.
I installed a HUD in my 08 that didn't come with a HUD so did not have the HUD specific front glass and the HUD works great no issues or blur at all. If I need to replace my front glass I will not pay the large difference to get the HUD glass as I don't see any advantage. Lots of folks that have installed HUD in non HUD cars feel the same way.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM
o_town_racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why pay for a new windshield? If your windshield is broken your insurance will pay to replace it usually with little or no cost to you - HUD or no HUD.

Regarding your road rash, get your front bumper re-painted and then have a clear bra installed. You will never have to have it repainted again.

Originally Posted by okie08vette
How do you judge that it is better?

I installed a HUD in my 08 that didn't come with a HUD so did not have the HUD specific front glass and the HUD works great no issues or blur at all. If I need to replace my front glass I will not pay the large difference to get the HUD glass as I don't see any advantage. Lots of folks that have installed HUD in non HUD cars feel the same way.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:25 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have used Safelite several times now, both with and without insurance, and have never had any problems ...
Old 10-04-2012, 10:59 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Eritosthenes
Actually four windshields.
1. No HUD - No Onstar
2. Yes HUD - No Onstar
3. No HUD - Yes Onstar
4. Yes HUD - Yes Onstar

They all use the same glass, so the only "real" difference is the coating for the HUD and the paint scheme for the Onstar.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RicK T
........snipped
That said, most here have had good experiences with Safelite. ........snipped.........
Hopefully, everybody carries the extra full glass coverage on their auto insurance policies. The cost is minimal (like $20 annually) and it provides glass replacement with no cost whatsoever. I've had excellent results using Safelite with several vehicles I own. With my Corvette I once used a glass company a GM dealership recommended (and uses). I found it interesting that even though it was not Safelite I still dealt with Safelite to process the insurance claim. Evidently, Safelite handle and processes insurance claims for many of the major insurance companies.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:25 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Hopefully, everybody carries the extra full glass coverage on their auto insurance policies. The cost is minimal (like $20 annually) and it provides glass replacement with no cost whatsoever. I've had excellent results using Safelite with several vehicles I own. With my Corvette I once used a glass company a GM dealership recommended (and uses). I found it interesting that even though it was not Safelite I still dealt with Safelite to process the insurance claim. Evidently, Safelite handle and processes insurance claims for many of the major insurance companies.
I have asked about this additional glass deductible coverage here where I live. I dont think its even offered here. Iowa ...
Old 10-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,371 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by PaulB
I have asked about this additional glass deductible coverage here where I live. I dont think its even offered here. Iowa ...
Here in Illinois with State Farm, glass is included on Comprehensive coverage, and my $0 ded Comp is only a few dollars more per year than $500 ded.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:58 PM
PatriotZ
Melting Slicks

Location: "No matter where you go... there you are"...."You cannot drive a dollar bill". ...and remember... "D
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You may want to have the glass installer be extra careful with the windshield cowling....it is a weak spot on our Vettes, and if it gets cut or slit, air from traffic speed may get you the dreaded humming/flapping sound from the glovebox area.....easy fix though..
either buy a new cowl or tape and silicone... as many have done
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 PM
legs vette
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

thanks for all the information
Old 10-18-2012, 11:17 PM
velomaxx
Intermediate

You can't get glass specific coverage in every state, unless something has changed in the last year or two.

Get notified of new replies

To Need to replace windshield in my 08 and front end has road rash

Quick Reply: Need to replace windshield in my 08 and front end has road rash