C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM PAL and iPhone 5

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
John in MD
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM PAL and iPhone 5

Does anyone know if the GM PAL will work with the iPhone 5 with the adapter, or if a new cable is in the works? I'm considering going back to the factory radio but want to make sure the GM PAL will eventually work with the iPhone 5.

Thanks!

John
Old 09-28-2012, 01:56 PM
o_town_racer
Racer

I think it is supposed to work with the adapter. I guess we will find out soon enough. I'm currently sticking with my iPhone 4, but I've got a 2011 GS and it works via the USB port, so I could use the iPhone 5 with it's own charging cable.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:26 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

We likely won't know until the adapters come out in October some time. I have an iPhone 5 on the way with an adapter and that will be the first thing I'm going to try but I'm still a ways away from being able to test it out.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Underratedneverfaded
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just use my old iPhone 4 for music. Keep it plugged up at all times in the center console and forget about it.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

I asked Ray Kawal what he thought about this same thing.
His response:
Regarding the iPhone 5, I don’t have any information about the compatibility. I would guess it is just a different connector, and with an adapter, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work – unless you know someone that has unsuccessfully tried it?

But in any case, the PAL would never become useless. What a lot of owners do, whether or not they have an iPhone, is simply buy an iPod Nano (even a used one) and put their music library on the Nano. Once connected to the PAL, the Nano is just used for music storage and the PAL is used for control, music searches, music display, and iPod charging. The PAL was designed for the iPod, even before the iPhones came out – the PAL isn’t really meant to work with all of the iPhone’s capabilities – it just works with the iPod portion of the iPhone for music and audiobooks. It just happens to work with the iPhone. I’ve bought Generation 3 iPod Nano’s in excellent condition for about $75 and they work great with the PAL. And I use an Android smartphone with the AUX input on the PAL. So I don’t see why anyone would consider the PAL to be useless just because they have an iPhone 5.

Originally Posted by Underratedneverfaded
I just use my old iPhone 4 for music. Keep it plugged up at all times in the center console and forget about it.
I did the same except I used an old ipod. It just stays in the console.

Last edited by spdkilz911; 09-28-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:01 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by John in MD
Does anyone know if the GM PAL will work with the iPhone 5 with the adapter, or if a new cable is in the works? I'm considering going back to the factory radio but want to make sure the GM PAL will eventually work with the iPhone 5.

Thanks!

John
I have a 2012 GS and an iPhone 5. I'm using the Apple Lightning cable that came with the phone (not an adapter). When I first used it, it worked with my PAL. Then it was intermittent a few times. Now it doesn't work at all. When I say "work", I mean play music. It always charges the iPhone 5.

NOTE: If I'm not mistaken, the 2012 had a newer PAL installed.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:19 AM
kck77
Advanced

I have a '12 GS with Nav. I simply plug the cord that came with my Iphone 5 directly into the usb port in the glove box, and everything works great! All of the info shows up on the screen; track, album, title, artist etc... all the controls on the steering wheel works! Its nice when something just works ya know : )
Old 10-18-2012, 06:07 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by kck77
I have a '12 GS with Nav. I simply plug the cord that came with my Iphone 5 directly into the usb port in the glove box, and everything works great! All of the info shows up on the screen; track, album, title, artist etc... all the controls on the steering wheel works! Its nice when something just works ya know : )
OK.....update. After seeing that it was working for you, and the fact that it had been working for me, I decided to perform some troubleshooting. I know there's supposedly a small chip inside the Lightning cable, so I tried swapping out the cable with another one we had. Same results, it didn't work. I then scanned through some of my settings to see if there might be some iPod setting that I hadn't thought of...again nothing. Then I remembered that sometimes with an iPhone, you just have to shut it down and bring it back up again. Viola!! It's working perfectly again.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:17 AM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using my iPhone 5 in my 08 vert with Ray's PAL and cable. Once I connected the Apple adapter, it worked fine. I've been using it for the last couple of days without any issues.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:15 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by GCRoberts
OK.....update. After seeing that it was working for you, and the fact that it had been working for me, I decided to perform some troubleshooting. I know there's supposedly a small chip inside the Lightning cable, so I tried swapping out the cable with another one we had. Same results, it didn't work. I then scanned through some of my settings to see if there might be some iPod setting that I hadn't thought of...again nothing. Then I remembered that sometimes with an iPhone, you just have to shut it down and bring it back up again. Viola!! It's working perfectly again.
I might have to try this, I have a 13 GS and when I plugged the ipone5, with lightning cable, into the usb I got a 'device not supported' message. the phone was on at the time. I will try again with the phone off and cycle it a few times - thanks for the update
Old 10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
GCRoberts
Racer

Originally Posted by maxp
I might have to try this, I have a 13 GS and when I plugged the ipone5, with lightning cable, into the usb I got a 'device not supported' message. the phone was on at the time. I will try again with the phone off and cycle it a few times - thanks for the update

The "device not supported" was one of the symptoms I observed before rebooting the iPhone 5. Other times everything would work except the song wouldn't play. It'd display properly, with the song paused. If you hit play, it would toggle right back to pause again. Sometimes I'd get playlists, other times nothing. The reboot solved everything. I suspect it won't be the last time I need to reboot, but it still falls under the category of a simple fix.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:24 PM
kck77
Advanced

I have a 2012 GS and an iPhone 5. I'm using the Apple Lightning cable that came with the phone (not an adapter). When I first used it, it worked with my PAL. Then it was intermittent a few times. Now it doesn't work at all. When I say "work", I mean play music. It always charges the iPhone 5.

NOTE: If I'm not mistaken, the 2012 had a newer PAL installed.

Great news!! Happy its working! The only thing I have noticed that does not function while the Iphone is connected with the included apple cable is that I can not change the treble, mid or bass. The touch screen buttons that are used to control the setting for each of the above mentioned are simply not there. The buttons to control the balance and fade are there and working fine, but nothing for the treble, mid and bass.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:09 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Great news.....about the iPhone 5.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 PM
John in MD
Instructor

I just ordered one. Looking forward to putting the stock head unit in. Getting very tired of the alternator whine in the aftermarket head unit I installed.

John
Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 PM
Maites
Pro

Originally Posted by John in MD
I just ordered one. Looking forward to putting the stock head unit in. Getting very tired of the alternator whine in the aftermarket head unit I installed.

John
alternator whine?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
John in MD
Instructor

The aftermarket head unit has a high pitched whine that corresponds to engine speed. I tried rewiring it providing a better ground and the noise is still there. Not sure if it is actually the alternator causing the noise, or something else. In any case I am tired of messing with it. I'll put the radio in my old F-150 which has a much easier method of wiring radios than our Corvettes have. :-)

John
Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

The "device not supported" was one of the symptoms I observed before rebooting the iPhone 5. Other times everything would work except the song wouldn't play. It'd display properly, with the song paused. If you hit play, it would toggle right back to pause again. Sometimes I'd get playlists, other times nothing. The reboot solved everything. I suspect it won't be the last time I need to reboot, but it still falls under the category of a simple fix.
I just got home and tried the iphone5 again - this time it started right up, I did not need to turn off/on the only difference was that the first time the nav was on Ipod and I just unplugged the ipod and plugged in the new phone and got the not supported line, this time the nav was on AM and, with the phone plugged in, I switched to Ipod mode.

Get notified of new replies

To GM PAL and iPhone 5

Quick Reply: GM PAL and iPhone 5