C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM
Sick
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.

So I will not name the dealership that way I don't break any forum rules or whatever.

Anyways, I am looking to purchase a 2008 (or up) Arctic white c6 coupe with a manual transmission. And I've been looking for several months now. This dealership about an hour away calls me up the other morning and tells me they just got in a 08 white coupe with a manual transmission and low miles on a trade in; and this "corvette certified" salesman asks me if I want to come check it out. After talking about the car for a few more minutes on the phone I say I'll be down to check it out later that day.
So after driving an hour south to the dealership, I get there and look at the car and see it's a 2007 with an automatic transmission and 43,xxx miles. And the salesman says he was a little off but it's still a great car blah blah.
I told him this has to be a joke, walked back to my car, and drove an hour home.

Now my question is, would you guys completely ignore all his phone calls and never do business with that dealership after that experience? Because that's my plan.

Last edited by Sick; 09-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:04 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Don't ever go back.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:11 PM
VCUFAN
Burning Brakes

Yep, would never deal with them again. Same thing happened to me and my wife. We drove 2 hours looking for her car, got there and didn't have anything close to what they said they had on the phone or what we told them we were looking for in a car. So shady.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
teenVette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Man I would never answer any of his phone calls. Try looking on autotrader. That's honestly how I found the corvettes I've gotten. Good luck
Old 09-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though the employees are a reflection of the dealer it could just be one knucklehead you happened to deal with. I would inform the GM or the owner and if they ignore you then screw 'em. Like any business, sometimes the establishment can't always be held responsible for an idiot employee!! Just my opinion...Dan
Old 09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

They just wanted to get you through the door. Classic move by sleezy salesman. He knew it was a 2007 and he knew you wanted a 2008. Good thing you walked away.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd call the sales manager or above and only deal with them. Let them know what happened.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

That's why they are called Stealerships. They stole two hours of your time, miliage and gas. You did the right thing walking right out. Never go back there.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Pack Leader
Racer

I would answer all his calls. Tell him next time you can be there an hour or so after their normal business hours and ask him to wait.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I'd call the sales manager or above and only deal with them. Let them know what happened.
They don't care & won't do a thing. Been there done that. I've had salesmen & managers threaten my physically & via email. Also had many of them get vulgar via email & toss out insults & call names. It's amusing really. Sad as well. So many good people unemployed and these jerkoffs have jobs.

I will no longer travel anymore than about 30 minutes or so on a used car if it's a dealer now. I have lost count of how many times I have gone to look at a car & it is the opposite of what I was told.

Either wrong options like this guy or blatant lies about condition.

I went to Volvo of Ft. Washington, PA this past weekend to look at a GTP. Supposed to just have some paint fade on spoiler. Yea, right.

Get there & the bumper is faded, 80k mi car, but the shocks felt like 180k, pass window inop, driver door latch is messed up b/c you can hear it clang every time you close the door, smoker's car, tails are trash, dash faded, HUD super dim, right side speakers shot.....

I'm so xxxxxxxx sick of dealers that I want to run these xxxxx over.

Get back from test drive & tell him not as advertised I'm out & he tried to get me to meet the SM. I said "No thanks!" and bounced. I should have done a burnout in their lot.

Seems like every time I email a dealer about a car they ignore every question in my email & go right to "What time can you come in today?"

NEVER YOU SCUMBAG LIAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by johnodrake; 09-27-2012 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forum-guidelines-and-rules/1130391-inappropriate-language.html
Old 09-26-2012, 03:32 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless it was an honest mistake (vs. the Bait/Switch it sounds like to me), I'd probably never do business with them again. Way too many available cars out there to put up with that crap in this day and age.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:34 PM
AaronDoud
Racer

Originally Posted by Pack Leader
I would answer all his calls. Tell him next time you can be there an hour or so after their normal business hours and ask him to wait.
Right here in my year of sales this may be the best way to teach him a lesson.

Clearly he doesn't know Corvettes or he would know why you wanted the 08 and newer. And manual vs auto is a huge f up. If someone is looking for the manual they will not buy the auto.

Honestly depending on how pissed I was there are many things you can do to get back at him. This above is one of them.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:35 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly, keep standing him up over and over again until he gets the message.
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Post his email & phone & we'll spam the crap out of this clown
Sick
Instructor

Originally Posted by Silverblue
Don't ever go back.
Agreed.

Originally Posted by VCUFAN
Yep, would never deal with them again. Same thing happened to me and my wife. We drove 2 hours looking for her car, got there and didn't have anything close to what they said they had on the phone or what we told them we were looking for in a car. So shady.
Yeah that's too bad, shady is the perfect way to describe it.

Originally Posted by teenVette
Man I would never answer any of his phone calls. Try looking on autotrader. That's honestly how I found the corvettes I've gotten. Good luck
Thanks! And I've been checking auto trader pretty often, hoping to find the one soon..

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Even though the employees are a reflection of the dealer it could just be one knucklehead you happened to deal with. I would inform the GM or the owner and if they ignore you then screw 'em. Like any business, sometimes the establishment can't always be held responsible for an idiot employee!! Just my opinion...Dan
This is a good point and a good idea.

Originally Posted by LFZ
They just wanted to get you through the door. Classic move by sleezy salesman. He knew it was a 2007 and he knew you wanted a 2008. Good thing you walked away.
That's almost exactly what my dad said. I just said "this has to be a joke" gave him this look , and walked back to my car and drove off.

Originally Posted by VET4LES
I think that's more trouble than it's worth. I think I'll just stick with dropping all contact/communication.

Originally Posted by Flame Red
That's why they are called Stealerships. They stole two hours of your time, miliage and gas. You did the right thing walking right out. Never go back there.
Yeah stealerships is right.

Although that's funny, I think I'll take the higher road.
dlparsons
Drifting

BTW - Criswell Chevrolet (A forum dealer) has an 08 Arctic White Coupe Manual with 18,000 miles for sale. I live about 10 mins from there, I'd be happy to take a ride down and verify that it is what they say it is if you'd like, not sure where you live. I know they ship all over the country and they're an easy drive from several major airports. I've dealt with Mike Furman and the dealership and I've found them to be stand-up people over there.

http://criswellcorvette.com/Used-Cor...585100394.aspx
Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LFZ

Get notified of new replies

To Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM
Sick
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlparsons
BTW - Criswell Chevrolet (A forum dealer) has an 08 Arctic White Coupe Manual with 18,000 miles for sale. I live about 10 mins from there, I'd be happy to take a ride down and verify that it is what they say it is if you'd like, not sure where you live. I know they ship all over the country and they're an easy drive from several major airports. I've dealt with Mike Furman and the dealership and I've found them to be stand-up people over there.

http://criswellcorvette.com/Used-Cor...585100394.aspx
Ah damn, if only I was closer. I live in California.
I really appreciate the offer for you to go check it out though. I'm hoping in the next month or so I'll be able to find one closer to here, but if not, I might have to look into getting it shipped across the nation/flying out an driving back.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sick
Ah damn, if only I was closer. I live in California.
I really appreciate the offer for you to go check it out though. I'm hoping in the next month or so I'll be able to find one closer to here, but if not, I might have to look into getting it shipped across the nation/flying out an driving back.
Sure would be a great time of year for a road trip! I know Mike has shipped to California in the past. And the car is CPO so you have the warranty that comes with that, 1-owner and everything! Just let me know, I'll be over that way tomorrow (Thursday) grocery shopping.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:02 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

He knew he was wrong, he was getting you down there in hopes you would "change your mind" on what you want.

Quick Reply: Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.