C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Dan 427
Even though the employees are a reflection of the dealer it could just be one knucklehead you happened to deal with. I would inform the GM or the owner and if they ignore you then screw 'em. Like any business, sometimes the establishment can't always be held responsible for an idiot employee!!

Straight commission often produces desperate liars.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PO234 I have no idea what you are talking about, do you? I've bought more cars in the past 10 years then most people do in a lifetime. Dealers say manual when they aren't, what planet does that occur on?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by trebor8008
So your best friends are crooks?? Or is it just stereotyping(lawyers, police, clowns, blondes)?? All are not bad, but the ones who are sure have ruined it for us.
No, they're not & I said MOST not ALL.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:21 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 196 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

You did the right thing by walking out. SCREW THEM.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM
californiabob
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your bad experience, this means your next one will be far better!

Question (since I have a C5) - why a 2008 and not a 2007?

TIA
Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 01:57 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Where I traded in my stone chipped to hell 2012 they have it listed as a "certified" vehicle. They just buffed it and said it looks good. That is not certified.....I can crap in a box and put CERTIFIED on it if you want, believe me I have time.

Certified to me means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
Just like there are quality cars, there are quality certified cars. It all depends on who is enforcing what standards. Believe me, you just don't know if you're saying ALL manufacturers with "certified pre-owned" cars means absolutely nothing.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:15 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by californiabob
Sorry for your bad experience, this means your next one will be far better!

Question (since I have a C5) - why a 2008 and not a 2007?

TIA
Bob

LS3 engine came out in 2008
Old 09-27-2012, 02:24 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Just like there are quality cars, there are quality certified cars. It all depends on who is enforcing what standards. Believe me, you just don't know if you're saying ALL manufacturers with "certified pre-owned" cars means absolutely nothing.
Certified Pre-Owned means that the car is coming with a warranty and a pre-purchase inspection - this is a warranty that wouldn't come with a non-certified car. It says NOTHING about the cosmetic condition of a car - that is for the buyer to determine. CPO checks mechanical condition and proper operation of all features, not cosmetics. I bought a used Range Rover Sport this past spring, and with the reputation of that brand and the large amount of electronics in the car, I would NEVER buy one without the CPO, regardless of the price. But Land Rover's CPO gives you 6 years, 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty that is exactly the same benefits as a new car warranty (not just powertrain). I don't know what's included in the Chevy CPO as far as warranty since I didn't consider a used Corvette when I bought last year, so the buyer would have to determine if it's an advantage over one that is not CPO, but in my case, it was the only way I would have bought a used Range Rover.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:35 PM
vig1116
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW Honestly, he's lucky he got you as the person that came down there because that guy deserves a punch in the F-in mouth!!!! That was disgusting for him to do.....
Old 09-27-2012, 02:52 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sick
So I will not name the dealership that way I don't break any forum rules or whatever.

Anyways, I am looking to purchase a 2008 (or up) Arctic white c6 coupe with a manual transmission. And I've been looking for several months now. This dealership about an hour away calls me up the other morning and tells me they just got in a 08 white coupe with a manual transmission and low miles on a trade in; and this "corvette certified" salesman asks me if I want to come check it out. After talking about the car for a few more minutes on the phone I say I'll be down to check it out later that day.
So after driving an hour south to the dealership, I get there and look at the car and see it's a 2007 with an automatic transmission and 43,xxx miles. And the salesman says he was a little off but it's still a great car blah blah.
I told him this has to be a joke, walked back to my car, and drove an hour home.

Now my question is, would you guys completely ignore all his phone calls and never do business with that dealership after that experience? Because that's my plan.
Having been in the automobile business for 22 years i can tell you that is so old school it makes me sick. I would call and ask for the General Manager. Tell him( or her) what happened and you would simply like the money back it cost you in gas.Sounds silly, but at 4$ a gallon! And tell them to mail the check to you. If whoever runs that store cares at all about customer service, you should be able to recoup your loss in gas $. Good luck with your search
Old 09-27-2012, 06:10 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Yea!

LET ME MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR, IN NO WAY AM I PUTTING BLAME ON THE OP! I do believe there are alot of details missing here so here goes. 1. This is 2012, why wouldn't the OP ask for some pics, a VIN, the exact odometer reading, a carfax emailed or faxed before even thinking about going to see the car! As much as a goofball the sales guy MAY have been, isn't there some onus on the OP too? 2. The OP said that the dealer called him so was a relationship already established? I am in the car business and NO WAY IN HELL would I call a customer w/out going over the details of what they want, especially the tranny and clock on the car! 3. And lastly I would have not ever left my house w/out confirming these details, it seems to me the story has a little confusion in it somewhere, no matter how much anyone thinks about a car sales guy no one is going to miss the details by that much to "bait" someone, that's just ridiculous! And one more thing, as treebor8008 can understand, the real clowns when it comes to a car purchase is the buyer, I have 25 years worth of stories about clients that far exceed the stories I've heard or even been a part of regarding salesmen! AGAIN NO OFFENSE TO ANYONE, JUST MY .02!
Yea, I went to look at a car.

I was given these type of answers:
Why are you selling the car: My wife wants a T'Bird.
What is the condition of the car: Good!
How is the body: Good!
Would your Mother like the car: Oh, yes! Would love it.
Etc., Etc., Etc.

Well, I drove an hour and here is what I found:
Beat-up rusted car.
Door wouldn't open, got lock pliers off seat and opened door from inside.
Trailer with Carport: T'Bird parked under it.
Interior of car: ALL torn interior.
Why she wanted a new car, etc.: Wouldn't you.

This guy acted like the perfect salesman, he had the pitch, buyers are alway wrong?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:52 PM
P0234
Pro

PO234 I have no idea what you are talking about, do you? I've bought more cars in the past 10 years then most people do in a lifetime. Dealers say manual when they aren't, what planet does that occur on?
You sure you've bought more cars than me in the last 10 years? I'm averaging 1.8 new cars per year since I started driving. That doesn't include cars for family.

What planet does that happen on? The one you don't seem to have any reading comprehension on is where. Check post #1.

And nice diversion, you didn't answer if all those other professional lying to you was A-OK.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:11 PM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by P0234
You sure you've bought more cars than me in the last 10 years? I'm averaging 1.8 new cars per year since I started driving. That doesn't include cars for family.

What planet does that happen on? The one you don't seem to have any reading comprehension on is where. Check post #1.

And nice diversion, you didn't answer if all those other professional lying to you was A-OK.
Last twelve years:
6 Vipers
4 Prowlers
2 Corvettes
2 Camaros
2 Porsches
1 Lamborghini LP640
1 Ford GT
1 32 Ford Hi-Boy roadster
1 33 Ford Pro Street roadster
1 34 Ford three window coupe
1 40 ****** Roadster custom
1 41 ****** Pro Street coupe
1 65 Superformance Cobra

Shall I add up my daily drivers too? That would bring the total up to around 35, but to be honest this goes back to the year 2000. Do you need pictures too?

As for answering the question, maybe you should brush up on your reading comprehension! My statement was to defend the car sales professional, I thought that was obvious by my post! And yes some are bad people, not bad salesmen, just like lawyers/bankers etc.

Last edited by Big Dan 427; 09-28-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Sick
Instructor

Last twelve years:
6 Vipers
4 Prowlers
2 Corvettes
2 Camaros
2 Porsches
1 Lamborghini LP640
1 Ford GT
1 32 Ford Hi-Boy roadster
1 33 Ford Pro Street roadster
1 34 Ford three window coupe
1 40 ****** Roadster custom
1 41 ****** Pro Street coupe
1 65 Superformance Cobra
I believe you, I'd like a pic of the Lamborghini. No superveloce, no care.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:24 AM
P0234
Pro

As for answering the question, maybe you should brush up on your reading comprehension! My statement was to defend the car sales professional, I thought that was obvious by my post! And yes some are bad people, not bad salesmen, just like lawyers/bankers etc.
Nice collection of rides! So I guess we are in agreement, what the salesperson did wasn't acceptable. And that would make him a bad salesman.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

Thank you 234! And yes we are in agreement assuming it went down the way the OP says, I still feel some of the onus was on the OP and also feel some of the story seems a little far fetched IMO. Yes car sales people can be shady as can many other professions and that was in part my point. So what was/is your fav ride, mine was either my Viper/s or the Cobra for driving, for curb appeal it was the Lambo! Also the Bull was the nastiest straight line car I've ever driven, from 100mph and up it was a rocketship!
Old 09-29-2012, 10:19 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Totally played you for a sucker and believes your time is worthless. Just another salesman doing what he/she is taught. Get them inside the dealership with any lies necessary. Once in the dealership they know they can intimidate, wear down and confuse the hell out of people with their sales tactics.

You did the right thing by leaving and I would never go back. Some have suggested that you send a letter or make a phone call to the sales manager or owner. Don't waste your time.... where do you think the salesman learned to do what he did.

Chalk it up to another lesson learned. Never believe a word a salesman says and ask for pictures and VIN's before going near a dealership.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:33 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Such positive comments here! So here is my take, fire your financial advisor b/c they are all thiefs, can your lawyer b/c they are all deceiptful liars, get rid of your real estate agent b/c we all know they are only in it for the commission, don't go to your friends eatery b/c he is making 200% profit on your meal if not more, should I go on? Man you all have buried this guy not knowing if it wasn't an honest mistake! Maybe he was given bad info by a colleague, who knows! I'll bet every person on this planet has made a mistake in their business that caused someone some grief and inconvenience! I got the semi jerk around by a well regarded forum vendor, it happens!
Funny how often these "honest mistakes" seem to happen at car dealerships. Let's be real, car salesman have a well earned sleazy reputation. We know what goes on in most dealerships so don't insult our intelligence. Salesman in general are trained on how to play the games and work over customers to make a sale. I never like dealing with anyone who sells based on commission. It makes people who are generally honest good people into lying, sell at all cost machines. They feel they have no choice to if they want to get a decent paycheck.

Avoid the salesman and do all your shopping and negotiating from home. It saves so much time and aggrevation. Once you decide on the terms you can go inspect the car and if everything is as advertised then buy the car. If a dealer refuses to deal with you over the phone or via email then run like hell. They only want to get you inside so they can work their magic.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Big Dan 427
Safety Car

If that is how you feel Tim then you can't insult what you don't have! I'm curious if you have ever bought a home using a "commissioned" realtor or any other salesperson! Let me tell you something, dealing with the public is like having your finger nails removed with pliers, don't be so quick to criticize unless you have sat on the other side of the desk! You're entitled to your opinion as is everyone, but to stereotype is pitiful and insulting to people who make an honest living in sales!
Old 09-29-2012, 11:05 AM
C6Tim
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

If that is how you feel Tim then you can't insult what you don't have! I'm curious if you have ever bought a home using a "commissioned" realtor or any other salesperson! Let me tell you something, dealing with the public is like having your finger nails removed with pliers, don't be so quick to criticize unless you have sat on the other side of the desk! You're entitled to your opinion as is everyone, but to stereotype is pitiful and insulting to people who make an honest living in sales!
I'm guessing you are a car salesman. If you are one of the honest ones than you have my sympathy. The profession you chose has been the most notorious when it comes to lying, cheating, scamming and playing the "4 square" game with their customers.

Consequently, your professions reputation is earned and is not a stereotype. Like it or not you are going to have to work twice as hard to gain the trust of your customers. Don't blame the "public" for being difficult to work with. Most of us have been ripped off at one time or another and unfortunately, you will have to forgive our skepticism when we see your lips moving.

Thankfully, because of the internet the overwhelming advantage car salesmen used to have is gone if buyers only take the time to do their homework.

Quick Reply: Bad dealer experience. Give me input here.