C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Totaled ... what next ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Top_Fuel
Nobody answered my question in post #59, so I'll ask it this way...

Does the $36,530 include the 10% sales tax you would pay to purchase a replacement 2008 C6?
I just looked at cars.com for all 2008 coupes within 500 miles of my zip (in southern Illinois). Dealer asking prices ranged from $44,995 to $27,695

So to answer your questions - I'd say a strong maybe.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:32 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts

Does the $36,530 include the 10% sales tax you would pay to purchase a replacement 2008 C6?
I can't speak for any itemization of the OP, but yes, it's customary for them to include all taxes/fees when replacing a vehicle.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:45 PM
stanc6
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope. In my area of SoCal the tax rate is 7.75%, so that was added to the $34,287 value of the car, plus state fees, ect. = $36,530.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Mikev078
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AtHomeSoda
It's not your fault.... you lived, but it hurt, and you WILL feel it later...

Do not be real quick to settle... get a rental car till they settle...hold out till you get what you think is fair... Gald the car saved your life.
Very true. I've gone through a bad wreck before. I didn't realize until 18 years later that I had scaring tissue in my shoulder that caused some ugly pains recently. Where now I go to a chiropractor every few weeks for an adjustment
Old 09-26-2012, 01:58 PM
Top_Fuel
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stanc6
In my area of SoCal the tax rate is 7.75%, so that was added to the $34,287 value of the car, plus state fees, ect. = $36,530.
OK...thanks for the clarification.

Hey...I didn't think there was anywhere in SoCal where the sales tax rate was under 10% at this point.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Don-Vette
Back in the 80's my Z28 was stolen I had Allstate insurance. After they cut me the check for my loss. They canceled me!!
Today, I get the impression that Allstate is better. Maybe.

But even before your situation, I worked briefly for an auto insurance company in the underwriting/rating section. Their attitude was that if you had been cancelled or refused renewal by your previous company for any reason whatever, they wouldn't talk to you for a year. But if you were cancelled by Allstate, they didn't care and treated you like any other customer.

Around the same time, my future wife called Allstate to ask why they hadn't sent her a renewal bill. They replied that she'd been cancelled 3 months ago. I guess they forgot to tell her...
Old 09-26-2012, 03:42 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I see all this back and forth over who should deal with what. All I can say, is those who choose to let their insurance company deal with anything, often get screwed in the end...that's a fact.

If I am involved in an accident where I carry no fault, I WILL NOT...and I mean WILL NOT contact my insurance company whatsoever. The insurance company has no incentive to see to you it that you get what YOUR owed, the only thing they choose to protect is themselves from having to pay for any damages as a result of the accident. Often times, they will negotiate a split and give you a lesser offer in the end.

In this guys case it worked in his favor, but in my many experiences helping friends, as well as two no fault accidents I was involved in, it is better to NOT involve your insurance company. I put it on their people to sort it out. It's three phone calls max.

You don't pay your insurance company to be your attorney, you pay them to cover damages when you cause someone else loss. Nowhere in their agreement to you, do they say they have your best interests and financial recoveries at heart. That's not their job.

Only someone who can't read between the lines and think that Obama is responsible for Bin Ladens capture and death would believe that.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Eppieguy
Melting Slicks

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I see all this back and forth over who should deal with what. All I can say, is those who choose to let their insurance company deal with anything, often get screwed in the end...that's a fact.

If I am involved in an accident where I carry no fault, I WILL NOT...and I mean WILL NOT contact my insurance company whatsoever. The insurance company has no incentive to see to you it that you get what YOUR owed, the only thing they choose to protect is themselves from having to pay for any damages as a result of the accident. Often times, they will negotiate a split and give you a lesser offer in the end.

In this guys case it worked in his favor, but in my many experiences helping friends, as well as two no fault accidents I was involved in, it is better to NOT involve your insurance company. I put it on their people to sort it out. It's three phone calls max.

You don't pay your insurance company to be your attorney, you pay them to cover damages when you cause someone else loss. Nowhere in their agreement to you, do they say they have your best interests and financial recoveries at heart. That's not their job.
100 %
Old 09-26-2012, 04:42 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I would hold out to be honest, unless you are really set on getting another C6 and if that was the case I would put some extra and jump up to a brand new one (40k for a base) or get a GS for around 46 or even better, try to find a low mileage ZO6 that you can get with an extended warranty.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:58 PM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Resident insurance expert here..
first off, its is unfortunate that the guilty party is a teenager and insured with Geico. those 2 details usually means that they are carrying state minimum coverage.
as with about 80% of the people i talk to insured with Geico this is VERY common. i cannot speak for your state but generally minimum coverage limits in most states include 25k per person, 50k per accident and 15k in property damage.
if this is the case it is very likely that your totaled vehicle will exceed the other persons insurance policy limit.
therefore if you have collision coverage you will end up paying your deductible and your insurance company will be picking up the rest of the claim for you.
you will be entitled to some coverage for your injuries, personally i would seek some pain and suffering as part of the offer.
as Category 4 said colossus is commonly used by insurance companies therefor medical coverage will be limited.
as for the car itself, since i am 90% sure you will have exceeded the teens auto policy limit hopefully your company will find comparable vehicles for sale within 100 miles of your residence to make a valid assessment of its value.
if that all goes correctly i would hope that your able to get what you need to replace the vehicle with a fair market value similar mile replacement or its value.
given your with all state, i would be curious to see how that plays out.
please keep us informed.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:02 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
Resident insurance expert here..
first off, its is unfortunate that the guilty party is a teenager and insured with Geico. those 2 details usually means that they are carrying state minimum coverage.
as with about 80% of the people i talk to insured with Geico this is VERY common. i cannot speak for your state but generally minimum coverage limits in most states include 25k per person, 50k per accident and 15k in property damage.
if this is the case it is very likely that your totaled vehicle will exceed the other persons insurance policy limit.
therefore if you have collision coverage you will end up paying your deductible and your insurance company will be picking up the rest of the claim for you.
you will be entitled to some coverage for your injuries, personally i would seek some pain and suffering as part of the offer.
as Category 4 said colossus is commonly used by insurance companies therefor medical coverage will be limited.
as for the car itself, since i am 90% sure you will have exceeded the teens auto policy limit hopefully your company will find comparable vehicles for sale within 100 miles of your residence to make a valid assessment of its value.
if that all goes correctly i would hope that your able to get what you need to replace the vehicle with a fair market value similar mile replacement or its value.
given your with all state, i would be curious to see how that plays out.
please keep us informed.
I dont think his car is worth 50K so if the limit is 50K shouldnt he be ok?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Only someone who can't read between the lines and think that Obama is responsible for Bin Ladens capture and death would believe that.
I would say in general you are right but some ins companies do you right. I have USAA and they sent me the demished value form without asking and got me my money right away just by filling out the form. And Ive had a couple accidents on my record due to my kids and they have not raised my premium once. Now Ive been with USAA for 30 years and do all my banking and all with them. They dont want to lose my business over a small accident. I guess the saying "you get what you pay for" applies at times.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:14 PM
BackInBlack05
Pro

uhhh....not.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Originally Posted by S'vette
I dont think his car is worth 50K so if the limit is 50K shouldnt he be ok?
the 50k is for injuries per accident, 25K per person and only 15k in property damage = corvette
Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

actually i disagree, your insurance company will defend you as their client. if you choose not to involve them they cannot help you. what the heck do your pay premiums for if you don't want to use your insurance company? as long as your not at fault the worst you'll end up paying is your deductible and your rates won't go up for an accent that's not your fault.
its always best to involve the guilty paries insurance first as you said no point in getting both into it unless you have to. but often times the other person always lies. their company will defend them unless the evidence of lack there of turns things around.
there is a process that then takes place called arbitration where the 2 companies fight it out in court. then they go to whats called subrogation where the guilty parties ins company ends up paying the other company back. and if you had to pay a deductible this would be the time when you would get it back.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bass mechanic
the 50k is for injuries per accident, 25K per person and only 15k in property damage = corvette
well that sucks.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Some people are posting about not notifying their insurance company.
A few months down the road when the other driver suddenly claims the accident was all your fault and wants to sue, and your company didn't even know there was an accident; could be a problem...

Get notified of new replies

To Car Totaled ... what next ?

Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 AM
category4
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agreed, I always notify them (only had to once so far) for fear of something like this. Fortunately I have been with USAA for 30 years so they didn't care about it as far as rates go.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:47 AM
ParisTNDude
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

You should feel very lucky that the crash didn't occur a split second later...at that point the SUV would have hit your driver door and placed you in a much more vulnerable position. The outcome could have been drastically different...indeed you had angels watching over you!

When the C7 arrives, I think newer C6s will become more affordable offering you a bargain priced low mileage Z06!!!!!
Old 09-29-2012, 04:32 AM
BackInBlack05
Pro

I have to wonder what kinda insurance some people buy that they'd have a better relationship with the other driver's company than their own.

I've got 5 cars, my house and a $2MM umbrella with AAA. They aren't gonna screw me if there's any way around it. As well...any bodyshop repairs are warrantied and grievances are handled nearly seamless to me. No one has my best interest at heart but me. But AAA's best interest is served by serving me. AAA has a reputation of being tough with other insurance companies collecting, but an excellent rep serving their customers.

I make it a policy to avoid talking to the other party's insurance. It's just like the cops...anything you say can and WILL be used against you.

Last edited by BackInBlack05; 09-29-2012 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Car Totaled ... what next ?