C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 08:58 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Just looked at that Fanatec BMW setup...wow...that's sick! I think that's my next setup for sure. Looks like wheel, base, shifter and pedals are just over a grand. Pricey, but man, that's got to be good.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:18 AM
Houston Z51
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my Setup. Just putting the dinning chair to check. Going to buy a car seat for it. My Son is driving.

Here is my small sample race with RX7.

Thinking of getting a G27 as Momo is my PC steering. Here is my PC setup and

BTW Newegg has it for $199.

Last edited by Houston Z51; 09-23-2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:53 AM
shaimerej
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Very cool!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 AM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Houston Z51
Here is my Setup. Just putting the dinning chair to check. Going to buy a car seat for it. My Son is driving.
That's the driving position of an F150...haha. No...mine is using a racing seat and a more Corvette style position.

I just set up a small rig to mount the steering wheel and shifter appropriately. I'm very close to the tv as well.

I would post pics of mine now, but I'm just gonna post pics of my next one cause it's gonna be beast!
Old 09-23-2012, 10:02 AM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Well I'm very familiar with the GT series and both the track and car shown. I will give you props for the race but I do have some things to point out. First ; were you wearing a helmet?? Second ; the only reason you got by him on the big strait is because you were behind and got to DRAFT!! It was a great video, well done
Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Houston Z51
Instructor

Originally Posted by RC000E
That's the driving position of an F150...haha. No...mine is using a racing seat and a more Corvette style position.

I just set up a small rig to mount the steering wheel and shifter appropriately. I'm very close to the tv as well.

I would post pics of mine now, but I'm just gonna post pics of my next one cause it's gonna be beast!
Lol. As I mentioned it was the make shift arrangement. Actually if you look at the video we put the Box on the front to make it higher so we can drive with that chair. Actually it sits pretty low for a car seat. Currently we are playing by sitting on the recliner and adjust the height.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:57 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm a triple head to go user, and play iRacing quite bit. I use a non force feedback TSW. No cockpit or any of that just race from the desk in my den.

Really cool video, thanks for posting.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:06 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by trebor8008
Well I'm very familiar with the GT series and both the track and car shown. I will give you props for the race but I do have some things to point out. First ; were you wearing a helmet?? Second ; the only reason you got by him on the big strait is because you were behind and got to DRAFT!! It was a great video, well done
Hahaha...yeah, I def got some speed on the straight over his car. Not sure if GT5 is not able to account for aerodynamic drag, and it's just accelerating based on weight, gearing and hp/tq calculations or what.

I have to say, you have to drive damn hard to run that time. I didn't wear a helmet, but I do wear driving gloves because you get sweaty working hard, game or not. I have my feedback turned all the way up, so the thing fights over rumble strips and when it gets loose.

I've driven the ZR1 at Monticello and the thing will always stand out to me about that car is those brakes. Acceleration is very smooth, but man...those brakes are awesome. That's the one thing the game can't give you, is the feeling of banging against the seat belt intertia locks under braking.

So, I've got experience with the car...just gotta get my real Nurburgring experience. Next year...it's gotta be the year for me...I gotta get there....whatever it takes.

I HOPEFULLY have a sponsor for Targa Newfoundland next year as well, so I'm very excited about that. Under wraps for the moment which car though...it's an interesting creature...I must say. Mid-engine...very modern...very affordable....noone has seen it yet. Hopin I can put the deal together at this years SEMA with finality.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:07 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Houston Z51
Lol. As I mentioned it was the make shift arrangement. Actually if you look at the video we put the Box on the front to make it higher so we can drive with that chair. Actually it sits pretty low for a car seat. Currently we are playing by sitting on the recliner and adjust the height.
Hey man...whatever works. It's all good fun regardless and a hell of a lot better than the handheld controller days.

Originally Posted by SnakeBT6
I'm a triple head to go user, and play iRacing quite bit. I use a non force feedback TSW. No cockpit or any of that just race from the desk in my den.

Really cool video, thanks for posting.
Thanks man....

I'm looking at matching the Zonda Pagani R next. I found an in-car...he ran like 6:48 or something...whew...real fast.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Wow!!!! Fantastic!!!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 06:27 PM
GM'er
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 62 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Awesome video

Here is my setup: G25 with a Playseat Evolution Alcantara, with a 63" Samsung and 5.1 surround.

Playseat is very well built and very comfortable. $370 from Big River right now. Probably a better seat than most Corvettes have.

Last edited by GM'er; 09-24-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:38 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Very similar to my setup except I built out of PVC. I sit mine right against an identical tv stand as well.

Nothin but TRUTH on that seat...haha. I hate my Z06 seats...no lie there. I bought my wife an S2000 and I'll take those seats anyday. Even my daily Acura TSX has some superior seats to my Z. Spy photos of the C7 are showing a pretty wicked seat though for sure. Problem is, all these 340lb old guys will get pissy because they can't get in or out...or even fit for that matter. GM doesn't have an easy job pleasing everyone.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:04 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Ive got my g27 hooked onto a small end table. The tracks and cars that require more steering input (especially the rally stuff) leave the table "jumping" .

Id like to build a stand out of metal, the problem is making it fold up so it can be left in a closet... The last thing I need is my movie room taken over by some immovable rig.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Yeah...my earlier setup...when I had the feedback turned up and I'd be gettin serious that thing would be jumping all over the place...haha. I finally had enough and had to make something more sturdy and fixed.

Gotta do what you gotta do man...build something huge...haha.

As a side, I grabbed the Viper ACR to see about this 7:12 run. Aside from clearly having more downforce at high speed, the car sucks. Definitely nothing of a brute compared to the ZR1, low speed turn in is slush...like the car wants to push. The only positive thing is it seems a little more predictable vs the ZR1. I am finding 7:12 hard to believe though on a dot tire. Many disputed the run saying they ran slicks, and I'm believing that claim. I want to like Vipers but man...I just have such a hard time...lol.

I do all this while my supercharged Z06 sits for two months. Why? Because getting pulled over all the time has gotten real...real old.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Very cool. GT5 IS pretty cool.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:02 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah...my earlier setup...when I had the feedback turned up and I'd be gettin serious that thing would be jumping all over the place...haha. I finally had enough and had to make something more sturdy and fixed.

Gotta do what you gotta do man...build something huge...haha.

As a side, I grabbed the Viper ACR to see about this 7:12 run. Aside from clearly having more downforce at high speed, the car sucks. Definitely nothing of a brute compared to the ZR1, low speed turn in is slush...like the car wants to push. The only positive thing is it seems a little more predictable vs the ZR1. I am finding 7:12 hard to believe though on a dot tire. Many disputed the run saying they ran slicks, and I'm believing that claim. I want to like Vipers but man...I just have such a hard time...lol.

I do all this while my supercharged Z06 sits for two months. Why? Because getting pulled over all the time has gotten real...real old.
I feel like it needs full force feedback and the power steering shut off just to come closer to the real feeling (way too soft with the ps on and the ff set low). Id hate to see how bad it would be jumpign if they set it with realistic force...

I agree that the acr has nice amount downforce to it - I cant remember everything I did to the suspension to dial it in, but just to pull numbers out of the hat, you may want to try something like a 1.8 camber up front 1.6 rear, .1 or .2 toe-out up front and .5 to .8 toe-in on the rear. For the differential Ill leave it stock and then see where in teh throttle input and turn it starts acting up. Overall Ive found raising the intial torque necessary to activate the diff, then lowering the amount of accel and decel torque helps to get it to turn better.

Get notified of new replies

To Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle

Old 09-25-2012, 02:14 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Yeah...this is where the facts are tough to obtain. GM, as well as Dodge, describe these cars as stock, but within stock there is certainly a far range of adjustment that can be made. Corvettes allow for a good range of stock camber adjustment, height adjustment, etc. I have to wonder how far they went in terms of truly using everything the car gave them to get it faster vs how they deliver the car from the factory. Something I failed to talk to Jim about.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Well done and nice driving.

I've been a racing sim fan for years. I moved out of the Logitech stuff last year and started using a Fanatec CSR wheel and pedals. The biggest advantage the pedals have is that they are force based (using a pressure transducer) in place of motion based (potentiometer).

You really should have a go at iRacing. I wish I had the PS3 and GT5, for console entertainment I've got the Xbox and Forza 4 which my wheel works with but I spend much more time in iRacing and rFactor on the PC than I do on the console because the feel on the console isn't right. I used the iRacing and VIR to get familiar with VIR for a track day this past June and it's a 99.5% as far as turns and elevations go.

The best Nurburgring I've found is in a PC sim called GTR evolution but I'm still a full 30 seconds slower than Jim's time there driving a C6.R in the sim....oh well. Work to do.

When I moved in to the force based pedals, I needed to move out of the office chair on wheels. I selected a Sim-Seats SRX and couldn't be happier.

Paul

Old 09-25-2012, 02:24 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Yeah...this is where the facts are tough to obtain. GM, as well as Dodge, describe these cars as stock, but within stock there is certainly a far range of adjustment that can be made. Corvettes allow for a good range of stock camber adjustment, height adjustment, etc. I have to wonder how far they went in terms of truly using everything the car gave them to get it faster vs how they deliver the car from the factory. Something I failed to talk to Jim about.
The car Jim tested at the ring was a ZR1 as made on the line in Bowling Green with factory suspension, camber and trim height at factory tolerances. Basically, the same car you or I could have bought at the time. The only things different were race seats (Sparco's) with a five point harness and data acquisition equipment mounted in the back.

Quick Reply: Decided to take on Jim Mero's Nurburgring run, here's the split screen of the battle