C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exactly how bad are aftermarket wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 AM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
My casual observation is that aftermarket wheels are about 30% of the cars here, but account for about 90% of the wheel problems.
What is your source for your casual observation? Did I miss another pole? Later! Frank
Old 09-19-2012, 01:01 AM
msnbound
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 360 forged..... Some issues in the beginning but otherwise ok...... If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten some used HREs like I did on my R8.......... Btw, from now on, I will always buy wheels from Gerry at wheels for less......absolutely best customer service around...... Trust me on this !
Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM
alaxwilson
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive noticed that usually 1 or 2 of the wheels will take significantly more weight to balance.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:14 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by msnbound
I have 360 forged..... Some issues in the beginning but otherwise ok...... If I had to do it all over again, I would have gotten some used HREs like I did on my R8.......... Btw, from now on, I will always buy wheels from Gerry at wheels for less......absolutely best customer service around...... Trust me on this !

Agree totally. Its not just business for this guy, its a passion. I havent purchased 1 thing from him and he has been a tremendous help in my wheel buying process. You need to talk to him to understand.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:54 AM
harris48cars
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett

Agree totally. Its not just business for this guy, its a passion. I havent purchased 1 thing from him and he has been a tremendous help in my wheel buying process. You need to talk to him to understand.
Web site or location please.
gary
Old 09-19-2012, 10:09 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

http://www.wheelsforless.com/ ?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
I have had so called cheap ones on all my cars, NEVER had a problem.
I will NEVER pay big bucks for wheels, ever.
For me, no wheel is worth what these manufactures are ripping us...............err...............I mean are asking for them.
I have too, but I had a problem with the XXR wheels I had on my Genesis Coupe. Don't buy anything from that company. Out of round & they would not warranty & they chipped super easy. Whatever they are made from is a super soft material. Unsafe.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,058 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
My casual observation is that aftermarket wheels are about 30% of the cars here, but account for about 90% of the wheel problems.
Originally Posted by fnsblum
What is your source for your casual observation? Did I miss another pole? Later! Frank
No poll, just the "casual obsrvation" of reading the posts on this Forum over the years.

But I think those 30/90 numbers are about correct.
Factory tires seem to have more problems, especially on the GS/Z06.

A poll would be interesting.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by harris48cars
No, I'm not talking about the exspensive wheels. I'm talking about the 1k to 1.5K replica wheels. Are they all made by the same company? Do any of them have a stellar reputation? What are the main negatives.
Gary
Lots of experience with them. If you are gonna track, go over 130 mph, do not do it. If you are just gonna show your car, cruise, etc, go for it.

You really get what you pay for.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:06 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Timex or Rolex??? and some in between...
I agree that it depends, but Timex makes a solid though inexpensive product. Some aftermarket wheels are far worse than a Timex....some. Jim is right, aftermarket wheels in general are involved in more than their fair share of problems here on the forum.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

After dumping the run flats and dropping a few lbs on each wheel. I found the value of low unsprung weight .

I would not buy after market rims because they raise unsprung weight.

For me it would be conceptually wrong
Old 09-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by JerriVette
After dumping the run flats and dropping a few lbs on each wheel. I found the value of low unsprung weight .

I would not buy after market rims because they raise unsprung weight.

For me it would be conceptually wrong
What? Plenty of aftermarket wheel companies make much lighter wheels.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Bigsquat
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I never understood why people will replace well made factory wheels, in some cases on the c6 they are forged, and put on cheaply made wheels. Good wheels are more expensive not just because the vendor is gouging you. There is real value in the cost and to sacrifice quality on such an important part of a high performance machine does not make sense. Go cheap on floor mats, not wheels.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by harris48cars
Web site or location please.
gary
His profile

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...el-forle-.html
Old 09-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RC4G
negative
Old 09-19-2012, 01:30 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Aftermarket rims that weigh the same or less. Yes.

Inexpensive aftermarket rims tend to weigh more which I believe is the topic of this thread
Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

The original post is discussing "replica" or "reproduction" wheels. The term aftermarket is getting confused here. Yes, aftermarket wheels such as HRE, OZ, etc. can be lighter than oem. Big difference between those versuses the cheap, Chinese made replica wheels which are merely for looks.

Get notified of new replies

To Exactly how bad are aftermarket wheels?

Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

Most AM wheels are far superior to OEM. I have yet to see any "Great" OEM wheels on any car ...
Old 09-19-2012, 05:22 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

It's a mod. Your car is instantly worth 5k less.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:01 PM
jdk541
Safety Car

Received 606 Likes on 291 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22-'23

Some first hand experience here... I just got back from a local high performance shop after having my Chrome Z06 Reproduction Wheels mounted and balanced. I have been tracking this thread since it started knowing I was going to do this.

So my wheels were just delivered to my house this morning. I paid just under $1K for 4 wheels from one of the vendors on the board. I quickly unpacked them and brought them down to ADS in Chandler for the install.

I asked the guys who did the balancing and mounting what they saw as far as quality, ability to balance and if they were out of round in any way. They said the quality looks good, they were able to balance them to what they called "zero" which I guess means they are perfectly balanced, but they said at very high speed they noticed where they were just a bit off from side to side. They told me everything will be fine and I should have no issues. The only potential issue would be that I "might" feel a slight vibration at really high speeds. They told me it is unlikely though. They said the wheel is structurally sound and will perform just as good as the factory ones that they took off. I will give them a good test over the next week just to make sure, but on the drive from the shop back to work I was going pretty fast and they were smooth as silk.

The wheels look AWESOME and I couldn't be more satisfied. I don't really plan on having the car up above 150 MPH for long periods of time anyway.

Is the quality compromised over the factory wheels? Maybe just a bit.
For typical "spirited" driving that I do around town is it going to matter? Probably not.
Are the wheels going to "break" and damage the car and cause an accident? Probably not.
Am I happy that I have an extra $1000 in my pocket so I can get a cat-back system? Hell yes!

Cheers!

Last edited by jdk541; 09-19-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Add Photo

Quick Reply: Exactly how bad are aftermarket wheels?