C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery and Serviced Column lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Happihank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dead Battery and Serviced Column lock

So Im leaving the red line corvette show and my c6 6 speed doesn't start. AAA comes checks battery every ok. I drive about 20 miles to Rydell on Devonshire. I get service column lock on the way. Shut off car. Its does't start. Salesman gives me a jump. Drive home with Service Column lock on. Had column lock problem fixed when I first got the car in 2005. Also noticed window don't index anymore... Taking it in the AM to see what's up. The salesman was funny as he was jumping the car he said ''...well it IS a Corvette...." ( like situation normal) HAHAH
Old 09-16-2012, 04:58 PM
heli-vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 05 does that .Quickest test is pull on battery cable off for a few minutes / install cable and restart . Even at 12 ish volts it will light . I have a big audio amp that can draw 10 amps , so I shut off all radio stuff . The standard reverse shift -windows up . As far as windows any time the power is interrupted - Jumped - low , you need to raise the windows and hold the up switches for 5 seconds , They should be indexed . When the battery gets low you get strange warnings and panel displays . Some say just buy a new battery every 2 - 4 years ( good or not ) cheap insurance compared to a tow or die at a bad time .

Last edited by heli-vette; 09-16-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Happihank
Racer

tried the unhook battery , but still doesn't start. Fixed the window index problem though!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Sounds like you need a new battery. Corvettes of Houston has a steering wheel lock bypass. It's an unplug and plug installation. I did it a few weeks ago. A week battery will show many different DIC messages.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Happihank
Racer

Thanks. Going with a new battery. They only last a couple of years any less then 12 v won't let the car start.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

When the battery needed to be replaced in my 05 C6, I got the service column lock message. New battery "fixed" it. Never got the message again.

Get notified of new replies

To Dead Battery and Serviced Column lock

Quick Reply: Dead Battery and Serviced Column lock