C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytona track events this fall

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:51 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Default Daytona track events this fall

There are several track events at Daytona this fall - 2 in October, and one in December. There has been an Italian marque event in past years in November, but I can't find any info about them running the event this year.

There's a PCA event the first weekend of October, but I just got an email with this info about the PBOC event the second weekend:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....-alfxG1w%3D%3D

PBOC Motorsports Club, Inc.
Get in on the fun*
Daytona *Oct. 12-13-14, 2012

Daytona Oct 12-13-14, 2012*
PBOC event @ Daytona International Speedway
Oct. 12-13-14, 2012
PBOC Motorsports Races and Drivers Education at historic Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach Fl.* This is a three-day event on the Rolex 24 hour course.
Please note the dates for this event are October 12-14.
DRIVERS EDUCATION VENUES:
Lapping Day for qualified Solo, Super Solo™ drivers and Instructors is available on Friday.* Cost for Friday only is $345.* Solo entry for Sat/Sunday is $620. Solo Lapping for Friday and Saturday Only is $620. A three-day package rate for Solo drivers is available for $850. (All fees include a covered garage space)
...INSTRUCTORS:
Instructor Lapping on Friday is $345. (There is no instruction on Friday)** The Instructor Entry for Sat/Sunday is $170.* A three day package for Instructors including Friday Lapping Day and S/S instructing is available for $445. An option for Friday Lapping and Saturday Only instructing is $425. (All fees include a covered garage space).
...SUPER SOLO™:
The PBOC Super Solo™ run group is available at this event. Super Solo™ drivers please register as an Instructor or Solo driver, whichever is appropriate.* If you are interested in becoming a Super Solo™ driver, please contact Bob Shuster at rs996@bellsouth.net
...DRIVERS EDUCATION:
Drivers Education for Novice, Intermediate and Advanced Students on Saturday and Sunday is available for $620.* All students will have classroom instruction on Both days.* A one day entry fee for either Saturday or Sunday is $345.* However, NO* Novices will be accepted for a single Sunday Only entry. Novice Students MUST be approved to attend. Please contact the event registrar. (All fees include a covered garage space).
Convertibles: BMW Z3 with fixed rollover protection, the Z4, Porsche Boxster and the Mini Cooper are ok. ALL OTHERS must call for approval.** If you run with the top down, you MUST use arm restraints.* No SUV's in DE.
RACING VENUES:
Friday* there will be a 90 minute Enduro Race with 30 min Practice and Qualifying sessions prior to the race.* Cost for the Friday only race is $520
Saturday-Sunday there will be one 30-minute Qualifying session and two 25-minute Sprint Races each day.* Cost for Sat/Sun four Sprint Races is $820.* A one day race entry for Saturday or Sunday is $445. A Friday/Saturday package with Enduro and Sprints is $795.** A 3-day Race package for F/S/S is $995.
GARAGES:* Garage fees are included in the cost of the entry.** If you have a group of drivers and you wish to reserve garages together, please email me directly.
LATE FEES:
After October 6, 2012 a $25 late registration fee will be assessed.
Joanne Schwarzmann
Registrar
PBOC Motorsports Club Inc
407-804-0892
jschwarzmann@cfl.rr.com

As it says in the "Drivers Education" paragraph above, novices can attend, but you must contact Joanne to be "approved".

So, even if you've never driven a track event before, you can still attend this event. All you need is to have good brake pads and tires on your car, and a helmet.

This is an HPDE (High Performance Driver Event, or Driver Education event) - it's not racing!! Passing can only be done in designated areas, and only when the car you're overtaking gives you a point-by authorizing you to pass them.

We run the Rolex 24 roadcourse, so this is the sports car roadrace track, not just running around the tri-oval NASCAR style - although you will run essentially the entire tri-oval and all the high-banked track. See the video below of my Z06 running the Rolex course several years ago.

Everything is oriented toward having fun by driving your car up toward its performance limits, but in a safe and legal venue.

As mentioned above, there will be classroom and in-car instruction.

You'll have 3 or probably 4 sessions per day, with each session about 25 to 30 minutes. So you get a lot of time to work up to getting comfortable with turning the beast loose and running your car up to what it can really do - which is much faster than you'll ever drive on the street!!!

There's another event, even more novice friendly, in December. I'll post up info about that as it gets closer, but if you'd rather do that event here's some info about it:

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooke...region/Florida

C'ya at the track!!

Bob

Old 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,089 Likes on 658 Posts

So it sounds like C6 verts without roll cages are out?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flame Red
So it sounds like C6 verts without roll cages are out?
Yes - unfortunately convertibles can't run track events without some major mods.

But, any coupe with good tires and brakes is ready for the track!!

Bob
Old 09-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Good info and as always if you guys or gals need brake pads don't wait to the last minute give me a call and I can get them out to you in a timley fashion.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM
ebf2k
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-14

what if one of your tires has been repaired?
Old 09-13-2012, 07:05 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Bob, if you are going to Daytona next month I would like to meet you at the track and check things out.
I did change the day I am running at Daytona in December from Saturday 12/8 to Sunday 12/9 as I have company on that Saturday.

Last edited by MA ZO6; 09-13-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:06 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by ebf2k
what if one of your tires has been repaired?
I would think if you had a good shop patch it and not plug it you should be all set but I will let the experts chime in.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:22 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like fun
Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Hope to see you there Bob.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is the total price for a Novice, I see 620, and 345...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by McGinnis Towing
So what is the total price for a Novice, I see 620, and 345...
One day - $345.

Two days - $620.

If you register after Oct 6th, add another $25.

...DRIVERS EDUCATION:
Drivers Education for Novice, Intermediate and Advanced Students on Saturday and Sunday is available for $620.* All students will have classroom instruction on Both days.* A one day entry fee for either Saturday or Sunday is $345.* However, NO* Novices will be accepted for a single Sunday Only entry. Novice Students MUST be approved to attend. Please contact the event registrar

Novices can run 2 days (Sat and Sun); 1 day Sat; novices can't run just one day on Sun.

I'll be running on Sunday only, so hope to see anybody who is there on Sunday.

I think my garage assignment is in the Blue NASCAR garages - #53. Look for my DSOM Z06.

It doesn't cost anything to come on into the track. For this event they're entering through the Turn 1 Plaza, which is just east of the Cracker Barrel restaurant on Int' Speedway Blvd. you just sign a liability release and drive on in. You'll go through the Turn 1 Tunnel and into the infield. Drive over near the NASCAR garage area, park, and then you can just walk right on into the garages and look at the cars and yak with the drivers.

C'ya at the track!!

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 10-09-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MA ZO6
I would think if you had a good shop patch it and not plug it you should be all set but I will let the experts chime in.
Recall reading a note from Goodyear, if the OEM runflats were properly repaired with a combination plug and internal patch, not more than twice, will still maintain their factory speed rating.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:12 AM
Mike McGinnis
Racer

If I was to bring my girl, could she go on a lap around the track with me (just 1 lap) or would she need to be registered as well?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:50 AM
VTcorvette
Advanced

Where can I find out more about the event in December? I have looked, but not able to find it.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by VTcorvette
Where can I find out more about the event in December? I have looked, but not able to find it.

Thanks.
Go to the link and scroll down a little, you will see December 7,8,9 as the days of the event at Daytona.
I am doing Sunday December 9th and forum member BEZ06 is doing all three days in December.

http://www.hookedondriving.com/hooke...region/Florida
Old 10-10-2012, 12:35 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by McGinnis Towing
If I was to bring my girl, could she go on a lap around the track with me (just 1 lap) or would she need to be registered as well?
Generally passengers can only ride with instructors - so if you aren't an instructor you can't take her!!

However, your instructor can probably take her around for a few laps. I know instructors I have had in the past have taken my wife and a couple other friends around in my car - it depends on if the instructor wants to accept the liability of driving a passenger they don't know in a car that's not theirs. Maybe they'd be more willing to take her for a ride in their own car, but many instructor's cars are track only cars and either aren't set up for a passenger, or are can be uncomfortable for a passenger.

So.....it's possible.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Daytona track events this fall

Quick Reply: Daytona track events this fall