C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid Question of the Day: Little Rugrats and Rides in the Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Sigo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stupid Question of the Day: Little Rugrats and Rides in the Vette?

Hey All -

Recently married mid-30's male here to a wonderful woman with a 3y/o.

Little 3y/o loves riding in the "racecar". I've taken him out to Dairy Queen down the road...but I was so nervous the entire ride because of the airbag.

I know airbags nowadays have have weight sensors...but experience shows that even a case of beer sends the sensors into conniption fits.

So - what say ye all about kiddies and the passenger airbag? Safe? No? Pull fuses? What should I worry about?

-Ryan
Old 09-13-2012, 12:52 AM
msm859
Melting Slicks

Received 997 Likes on 575 Posts

Don't worry. Put the seat back as far as it goes. I have not heard of a rash of airbags going off when they were not suppose to. My 5 year old granddaughter loves riding in my Corvette. Took her to kindergarten last week -- she wanted the top down
Old 09-13-2012, 12:59 AM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

1.) Buy a family friendly car?
2.) Booster/Carseat (by state and weight)
3.) Most important.. consult a professional or research what WILL ENDANGER YOUR CHILDS LIFE FIRST before placing said child in something that could possibly spell disaster.

I'm 30; I'm not married to mine. We have children. I can't answer this question.
I don't allow them to ride in my car. PERIOD.
No offense to you dude seriously; but the fact you don't know what's safe or not for the tyke should scream in your face "I shouldn't do this." Could be perfectly safe; but if you don't know that and have to ask it's responsible to NOT do it until you DO know.
I don't know. I don't do it. Love my kids too much. Light the Vette on fire and fling it off a cliff - I'll keep my kids.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Wish I could do the same, but I just take pictures of mine "driving" and sitting in the driver's seat while she makes "vroom" sounds.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Sigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by ulllovethecarpayment
3.) Most important.. consult a professional or research what WILL ENDANGER YOUR CHILDS LIFE FIRST before placing said child in something that could possibly spell disaster.

I'm 30; I'm not married to mine. We have children. I can't answer this question.
No offense to you dude seriously; but the fact you don't know what's safe or not for the tyke should scream in your face "I shouldn't do this." Could be perfectly safe; but if you don't know that and have to ask it's responsible to NOT do it until you DO know.
I don't know. I don't do it. Love my kids too much. Light the Vette on fire and fling it off a cliff - I'll keep my kids.
I'm good on the family friendly car...2012 4Runner.

I'm specifically asking what I need to do to ensure the car is safe for kids riding in it. If you have no practical experience...then why respond?
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 AM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

Originally Posted by Track Monster
Wish I could do the same, but I just take pictures of mine "driving" and sitting in the driver's seat while she makes "vroom" sounds.
that's adorable
Old 09-13-2012, 01:08 AM
Highway Dancer
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

that's adorable
Thanks...makes for great pictures.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:10 AM
ulllovethecarpayment
Instructor

I do have practical experience. I own a C6. I have small children. We are in the same information bracket. You do not know if it's safe. I don't either. Up until this point we're identical. We change at the point of doing something before knowing by fact it's safe. So we disagree on practice before factual knowledge.
Conflict discovered: some people on the internet are not going to agree with what you put into practice. It's possible I am the only one. The answer is suitable to your question;

"So - what say ye all about kiddies and the passenger airbag? Safe? No? Pull fuses? What should I worry about? "

My answer is "no; until you have fact stating otherwise".

I agree on seeking professional knowledge; I'd love to take my little guy out in the "ca" as he calls it. So if through the forum you find it is indeed factually safe it's a benifit to all parents.

Last edited by ulllovethecarpayment; 09-13-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

The air bags do not deploy unless the weight of the person in the passenger seat is over the level that is safe for the passenger, it's federal law, and built into the car.

Additionally, your air bags should be smart air bags, that deploy slowly at low speeds, also built into the system.

Kid too small - won't deploy.

Kid big enough - will deploy (and you want it to)

Low speed crash - low speed air bag deployment.

High speed crash - high speed deployment (you want it).

You're fine.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 AM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Easy Rhino
The air bags do not deploy unless the weight of the person in the passenger seat is over the level that is safe for the passenger, it's federal law, and built into the car.

Additionally, your air bags should be smart air bags, that deploy slowly at low speeds, also built into the system.

Kid too small - won't deploy.

Kid big enough - will deploy (and you want it to)

Low speed crash - low speed air bag deployment.

High speed crash - high speed deployment (you want it).

You're fine.

New smart aidbags were made for this kind of situation.
Some cars have a manual switch that you use to turn off the airbag (2005 Corvette) and some have the automatic system. The older airbags did not have a switch and did not have an automatic system.

Priceless to see little ones in the Vette. It's part of the Corvette experience.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:04 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

You didn't mention the child's carseat. Every state makes it illegal to carry a 3 y/o without a child's seat.

Here in NC, for instance, children under 7 and/or under 80 pounds have to be in a carseat. The fine is points on your license and a bit over $200 if you get caught without one.

The seatbelt is every bit as dangerous as theairbags.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:23 AM
EtidW
Pro

The air bag system should not activate if a child in a booster seat is in the passenger seat see owners manual.

If a child restraint has been installed and the on
indicator is lit, turn the vehicle off. Remove the child
restraint from the vehicle and reinstall the child restraint.
If after reinstalling the child restraint and restarting
the vehicle, the on indicator is still lit, check to make
sure that the vehicle’s seatback is not pressing the child
restraint into the seat cushion. If this happens, slightly
recline the vehicle’s seatback and adjust the seat
cushion if possible.
If the on indicator is still lit, do not secure a child
restraint in this vehicle and check with your dealer.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Whoa!!! Aren't we being a little ****?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 AM
Sigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by ETID
The air bag system should not activate if a child in a booster seat is in the passenger seat see owners manual.

If a child restraint has been installed and the on
indicator is lit, turn the vehicle off. Remove the child
restraint from the vehicle and reinstall the child restraint.
If after reinstalling the child restraint and restarting
the vehicle, the on indicator is still lit, check to make
sure that the vehicle’s seatback is not pressing the child
restraint into the seat cushion. If this happens, slightly
recline the vehicle’s seatback and adjust the seat
cushion if possible.
If the on indicator is still lit, do not secure a child
restraint in this vehicle and check with your dealer.
Ok will look for this in the future. Thanks. Yes - the boy is in his car seat at all times.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:13 AM
jimb100
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I do have practical experience. I own a C6. I have small children. We are in the same information bracket. You do not know if it's safe. I don't either. Up until this point we're identical. We change at the point of doing something before knowing by fact it's safe. So we disagree on practice before factual knowledge.
Conflict discovered: some people on the internet are not going to agree with what you put into practice. It's possible I am the only one. The answer is suitable to your question;

"So - what say ye all about kiddies and the passenger airbag? Safe? No? Pull fuses? What should I worry about? "

My answer is "no; until you have fact stating otherwise".

I agree on seeking professional knowledge; I'd love to take my little guy out in the "ca" as he calls it. So if through the forum you find it is indeed factually safe it's a benifit to all parents.
Why would you ask this important question on an internet forum?

First - read the manual. I believe you find all the information you need contained in the manual.

Second - If you cannot understand the manual, go to a dealer and have them explain it to you.

Third - Contact GM through the dealer and ask to meet with a zone rep to answer any questions that you couldn't get answered by the manual or the dealer.

I shouldn't think this would be that difficult. Aren't you making it harder than it has to be?
Old 09-14-2012, 02:05 AM
Sigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by jimb100
Why would you ask this important question on an internet forum?

First - read the manual. I believe you find all the information you need contained in the manual.

Second - If you cannot understand the manual, go to a dealer and have them explain it to you.

Third - Contact GM through the dealer and ask to meet with a zone rep to answer any questions that you couldn't get answered by the manual or the dealer.

I shouldn't think this would be that difficult. Aren't you making it harder than it has to be?
Some of us have grown up in an era where we tend to trust the experiences of our peers rather than sift through 300 pages of inane BS looking for a sole nugget of knowledge. Weird, huh?
Old 09-14-2012, 03:11 AM
AYello1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just strap 'em to the roof! Use extra duct tape to be OSHA compliant.

Get notified of new replies

To Stupid Question of the Day: Little Rugrats and Rides in the Vette?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigo
Some of us have grown up in an era where we tend to trust the experiences of our peers rather than sift through 300 pages of inane BS looking for a sole nugget of knowledge. Weird, huh?
The owner's manual is inane BS? I suspect the experiences of your peers is actually that there is a lot of very useful information in it and that we are well served by reading it.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:14 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Gees guys....lighten up a bit. It's a discussion forum and he's asking a serious question. Of course the owner's manual is going to say it's safe....but he's looking for responses from those of us that may or may not have taken kids in their car out in the real world.

Originally Posted by Sigo
I know airbags nowadays have have weight sensors...but experience shows that even a case of beer sends the sensors into conniption fits.
I probably wouldn't put the case of beer on the child's lap. Airbag deployment could damage the beer. Best to put it in back!
Old 09-14-2012, 05:48 PM
Joegovette
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

My 5 year old and 2 year old have both rode with me in the vette. My old 2005 vert had a key switch to turn off the airbag. My 2010 GS coupe has the weight sensors. I only bring them when they are old enough for a forward facing car seat. 2 years old or older. We didn't have air bags or wear seatbelts when I was a kid . We even rode bicycles without helmets. Somehow we made it.

Quick Reply: Stupid Question of the Day: Little Rugrats and Rides in the Vette?