C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mods hurt value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 08:47 PM
spaulsen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mods hurt value?

I am thinking about doing a wide body to the rear of my c6. My question is, do you guys think or had any experiences with mods hurting the value of your car? My c6 has only 9300 miles and is a 2007 but was thinking if I trade up I didnt want to loose money because of the mods. Let me know what you think. Any feedbsck is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:53 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on the buyer...
Old 09-09-2012, 08:55 PM
Dave Tracy
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

In my opinion yes. A purist would not even want the car. On the other hand, if your mods are what a new buyer would want, you would be in luck. If you are going to keep the car for many, many years and you would enjoy the mods, go for it. Would a newer Grand Sport be out of the question for your finances?
Old 09-09-2012, 08:58 PM
spaulsen
Racer

I was actually thinking of the GS or a Z06. Havent set down to check pricing yet but ultimately the look I wanna achieve.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:00 PM
Rocket-J
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any used car has a certain number of buyers that would be interested in it. After mods, it has a lesser number of buyers. The mod's maybe attrack a few more buyers but usually not as many as you lost.
Low mileage stockers still attrack the most interest.
Good luck.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 PM
2vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I have no regrets. I have never cared about value though, as I tend to hold onto my cars.

If you're really concerned about value at sell or trade time, save your original parts for either you or new buyer to restore to stock.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by spaulsen
I am thinking about doing a wide body to the rear of my c6. My question is, do you guys think or had any experiences with mods hurting the value of your car? My c6 has only 9300 miles and is a 2007 but was thinking if I trade up I didnt want to loose money because of the mods. Let me know what you think. Any feedbsck is appreciated.
You have a low mileage car which should be worth more stock and attract a larger number of buyers because it's stock.
And if you're worried about losing money, remember you'll also need to recoup the money you spent on the mods which most likely will not happen
With that in mind, if you still plan to mod it, I would do a Complete wide body instead of just the rear.

Stock = most buyers and interest.
Complete wide body = less buyers.
Rear wide body only = even less buyers.

And with the low miles, if I was looking to buy, I personally would wonder why the conversion was done to such a low mile car.

Last but not least, if you're thinking of trading up, why bother modding it at all
Just my thoughts for what it's worth
Old 09-09-2012, 09:48 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I agree with all of the above. I would not even consider a used car with mods.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:49 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

With the current money on the table from GM to clear out the remaining '12/13 yr cars, trade it for a GS.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:06 PM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

For the most part, I think mods detract from the value of a car rather than add to it. Generally, I won't even consider buying a car with mods either cosmetic or mechanical.

It seems to me that a lot of people on this forum like to mod their cars, and find pure stock in their words boring. However, there is no question in my mind that from an economic standpoint mods are money gone that you will very likely not recover much, if any, of what you spent. So the only reason to do it is if you like it, and it's worth the expense to you.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:14 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Plan on keeping it a long time. Dealers will low ball it at trade time unless it's back to stock trim.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:18 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tasteful mods will attract more than stock. We will never recoup money spent but may be some one wants them as we created. Stupid mods definitely detract from sale. Not everybody wants a stock car... buying one with good mods saves $$$
Old men / dealers want stock cars... JMO
Old 09-09-2012, 10:23 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
Tasteful mods will attract more than stock. We will never recoup money spent but may be some one wants them as we created. Stupid mods definitely detract from sale. Not everybody wants a stock car... buying one with good mods saves $$$
Old men / dealers want stock cars... JMO
And more cars are traded than sold outright ! Also, we've got a heck of a lot of "older men" as you put it on this forum with highly modded cars.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

A car with mods is only worth what the purchaser wants to pay.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

A wide body car will continue to hold its value as long as you don't plan on recuping the cost of the mods when you sell the vehicle.

Honestly although I admire the wide body look as I also have a narrow body 08 corvette. I checked into the costs and for me it didn't add up. I enjoy the sleek lines of the corvette as it came from the factory and even though I admire the widebody look...I admire it with the money in my pocket.

I never mod a car or at least I promised I would not mod my car again before I get a look at the new model about to release this January.

My suggestion is wait until January when you can see the new clean lines of the C7.

who knows...you may find the sleek C6 body style you own is a very nice car to own...or you may decide to go for the wide body c6 or as GM plans to tempt you into a new C7...

Either way....its so close in time...(3 to 4 months?) before spending the money to mod ...hold off and see the new model..

Might just pay to sell your low mileage c6 and buy a grand sport as their owners decide to go for the latest and greatest...Maybe a z06 or a Zr1 is in your future....

Does it really make sense to drop the 5 to 10 grand the widebody mod will cost?

I look at it...I admire it....but I'd rather have all the money in the bank...

My C6 is dam sleek looking and very sharp as I am sure yours is..

I hope you or any of those with the widebody mod don't take offense to my opinion...None was intended..

Good luck deciding.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
C6RaceCar
Burning Brakes

In the corvette market, you are more likely to turn away old fart buyers with a car thats modded. Now in the mustang market, mods are welcomed. But with vettes, stock is better.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

When I see a modded car, besides it being tasteful or not, I think about how much the powertrain might have been abused. After all, even if the engine looks and is claimed stock, you know that the previous owner is into modding, and perhaps reverted it to stock right before selling. In short, I'd not buy a modded car. And no, I'm not old.

Get notified of new replies

To mods hurt value?

Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by spaulsen
First off your car is a 2007. A good amount of any depriciation has taken place years ago.

Second you are only talking about a wide-body kit for the rear of the car. NOT A BIG DEAL. Honestly, if done professionally, I doubt a good majority of the dealers sales dept would even notice wider rear fenders let alone deduct value? I wouldn't expect to get the cost of the parts/paint back however.

If you are modding and expect to recoupe money from the initial amount spent...forget it. However, if you want something different, faster etc and money is the least of your concerns...go for it.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 260 Likes on 221 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I don't think that all mods necessary decrease the value of your car. I personally think that more buyers would hesitate on buying a car that has engine or drive train mods than just some body mods (assuming you use GM parts).

If I were to try to sell my car (which I'm not), which one of these would attract the most interest?

(Of course you will NEVER get back the money that you spend on your mods, but you do get this every time you go out to drive it.)

Bottom line, if you're worried about losing the least amount of money, keep it stock for sure.

If you plan on keeping it for a while, you might just really enjoy the modding process and seeing the transformation take place. I know what I have done doesn't make economical sense, BUT I have had a blast doing it and you can't put a price on that. (or at least I'm not going to)

Before mods:

After mods:

Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by 2vettes
I have no regrets. I have never cared about value though, as I tend to hold onto my cars.

If you're really concerned about value at sell or trade time, save your original parts for either you or new buyer to restore to stock.

I did not save any of the old parts. If I ever sell this one you buy it as is.

Quick Reply: mods hurt value?