C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing a c6

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:32 AM
tonycorvettes
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Towing a c6

Besides a trailer ,can a 2007 automatic be towed ,,,have you done it?
Old 09-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Flat bed is the only way to my understanding.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Only way is on a flat bed/trailer. No other way.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I would assume it's possible because Vettes sold in Europe have tow hooks on the front.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:22 AM
tonycorvettes
Racer

Default backwards?

i heard towing backwards is ok on a dolly
Old 09-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I would assume it's possible because Vettes sold in Europe have tow hooks on the front.
I think they are for pulling the car out of a snowbank or ditch; a few yards (or meters ) shouldn't hurt. But i wouldn't go any distance unless GM okays it.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:33 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
I think they are for pulling the car out of a snowbank or ditch; a few yards (or meters ) shouldn't hurt. But i wouldn't go any distance unless GM okays it.
I was just making fun of the European tow hook requirement and should have used a , , or

So what would make a Vette so much different than anything else to require a GM approval?
Old 09-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Only the fact that we care about Corvettes.

What I was trying to say is that if GM says don't tow it flat, then I wouldn't.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 459 Likes on 233 Posts

Most automatic equipped cars cannot be towed with all four wheels on the ground.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I hauled my C6 on a U-Haul auto transport trailer. I backed it on and hauled it 300 miles.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

When the engine on my Z06 took a dump last year the tow truck operator backed up to the rear of the car lowered the tow bars and slid them under the car and then spread them out so they wrapped around the front and back of the rear tires. Then he fastened something (can't remember what) between them on the outside of the wheels to keep them from coming apart. After all that was done he lifted the rear wheels just enough to clear the pavement and towed the car about a mile back to the garage. No damage to the car while doing this. Just can't lift the rear end of the car too far or the nose will rub on the pavement when you hit bumps.

Bill
Old 09-07-2012, 07:09 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by tonycorvettes
i heard towing backwards is ok on a dolly
Yes, but you'd need a new bumper and chin spoiler if you need it towed more than a block .

The better question is which are safe ways to pull the car up the tow truck. Anywhere from the front would tear the chin spoiler apart, no? And the only safe way from the front would be those hooks that latch onto the lift pad locations, no? Seems to me the best way is to pull car from the rear, and also using those T-hooks on the lift-pad locations, right? We should buy 2 of those suckers in case we ever need a tow, and truck does not have them. The one thing we have to make sure is truck has the tire straps, to secure car once up the truck. You DO NOT want it pulled down by the suspension.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:37 PM
jmoffett
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Yes, but you'd need a new bumper and chin spoiler if you need it towed more than a block .

The better question is which are safe ways to pull the car up the tow truck. Anywhere from the front would tear the chin spoiler apart, no? And the only safe way from the front would be those hooks that latch onto the lift pad locations, no? Seems to me the best way is to pull car from the rear, and also using those T-hooks on the lift-pad locations, right? We should buy 2 of those suckers in case we ever need a tow, and truck does not have them. The one thing we have to make sure is truck has the tire straps, to secure car once up the truck. You DO NOT want it pulled down by the suspension.
The problem with using the frame slots is that it puts the V-bridle and wire rope too far under the car, allowing the wire rope to touch the car. I owned a towing business for 8 years and towed exclusively for the local Chevrolet dealership. I always loaded Vettes backwards. I would use a single nylon axle strap around the rear leaf spring and hook the wire rope hook through the loops of the strap. This way, the nylon strap is the only thing that could possibly touch the car (even though it never did), and it goes right up between the exhaust tips. Once loaded, I used over-the-wheel straps to secure the car to the bed. It would take me twice as long to load a Vette as it would a normal car or truck, and accordingly, I charged twice as much to load one.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:17 AM
tonycorvettes
Racer

We are in a RV want to tow the 2007 Vette want to tow on a dolly backless, what do I do about the front wheels? Do I leave the key in and let them move or lock them?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't see how you would have enough clearance for the front towing it that way. If the rear is raised any at all sooner or later something in the road is going to damage the underside of the front. I think you need to look into a drive on car trailer. It would have to be low enough to go up the ramps without hitting or catching
Old 09-08-2012, 11:33 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jmoffett
The problem with using the frame slots is that it puts the V-bridle and wire rope too far under the car, allowing the wire rope to touch the car. I owned a towing business for 8 years and towed exclusively for the local Chevrolet dealership. I always loaded Vettes backwards. I would use a single nylon axle strap around the rear leaf spring and hook the wire rope hook through the loops of the strap. This way, the nylon strap is the only thing that could possibly touch the car (even though it never did), and it goes right up between the exhaust tips. Once loaded, I used over-the-wheel straps to secure the car to the bed. It would take me twice as long to load a Vette as it would a normal car or truck, and accordingly, I charged twice as much to load one.
Did you use boards to reduce the angle, or did you have a very low bed?

Trying to figure how to have it done if I ever need a tow.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Gitiup
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an enclosed trailer to transport it or buy you a Honda and dolly that.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 PM
jmoffett
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Did you use boards to reduce the angle, or did you have a very low bed?

Trying to figure how to have it done if I ever need a tow.
I made custom ramps that attached to the chain slots on the rear of my bed. This photo shows me loading my car forward, but I would load it this way only if it could be driven up the bed (notice that I don't have the car hooked). For a car that would not drive, even with the ramps, the wire rope from the winch would still come into contact with the wind deflector, so backwards is the only way, in my opinion.

Old 09-13-2013, 02:13 AM
tonycorvettes
Racer

Default towing a c4 6 speed

can you tow all 4 on the ground or on a dolly a 1990 6 speed?

Last edited by tonycorvettes; 09-13-2013 at 02:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Towing a c6

Quick Reply: Towing a c6