C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust pipe dripping water

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:41 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default exhaust pipe dripping water

Howdy all.

Abeam the rear tires the exhaust pipes on my 07 coupe turn up toward the top of the car. Just before/in front of this turn is a bracket.

Today I noticed for the first time some water dripping from both sides of the exhaust pipes just in front of the brackets. Car had not warmed up yet.

Is this normal dripping from a weep hole that may be located just in front of the bracket?

Thanks

Mike
Old 08-31-2012, 06:16 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by mbsigman
Howdy all.

Abeam the rear tires the exhaust pipes on my 07 coupe turn up toward the top of the car. Just before/in front of this turn is a bracket.

Today I noticed for the first time some water dripping from both sides of the exhaust pipes just in front of the brackets. Car had not warmed up yet.

Is this normal dripping from a weep hole that may be located just in front of the bracket?

Thanks

Mike

My 2011 Z06 does the same thing when I start it and then move it to another spot in the garage without the exhaust system heating up to full op temp. It is condensation in the system...not sure if there are weep holes or the water is just making its way out through the joints in the system. When the exhaust heats all the way, no water, check it out.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:02 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

The combustion process has water/steam as a by-product that condenses on the surfaces not fully warmed. Normal!
Old 08-31-2012, 11:11 AM
mbsigman
Pro

I apologize; I think I didn't make my question clear.

I understand that water/steam byproduct is normal. I also realize and have seen water drip out of the exhaust and clean the chrome on the exhaust pipe tips to get rid of the water 'lines' that are on the bottom of the tips when I clean my car, so I get that part.

My question was this:

Is it normal for the water to be dripping out of that specific location on the exhaust pipe, specifically just in front of that bracket adjacent to the real wheels where the pipe takes a turn up?

I cannot get under the car to look for weep holes at that location. Are weep holes or some other provision located there for water to drip out?

Again, my apologies for the poor wording of my OP and thanks for the replies.

Mike
Old 08-31-2012, 11:29 AM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand that water/steam byproduct is normal. I also realize and have seen water drip out of the exhaust and clean the chrome on the exhaust pipe tips to get rid of the water 'lines' that are on the bottom of the tips when I clean my car, so I get that part.

My question was this:

Is it normal for the water to be dripping out of that specific location on the exhaust pipe, specifically just in front of that bracket adjacent to the real wheels where the pipe takes a turn up?

I cannot get under the car to look for weep holes at that location. Are weep holes or some other provision located there for water to drip out?

Mike
I believe what you're referring to is the moisture drain for the rear hatch. Next time you wash the car, take a look at how the hatch works. It drains water away from it and down into the car towards the cabin. My guess is this is what you're seeing.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

My question was this:

Mike
Mine comes from the same spot you are seeing yours, I was told that there is a spot designed into the system to allow the water to vacate the pipes.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Howdy all.
Thanks
Mike
Normal condensation; water is a by-product of combustion.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 PM
mbsigman
Pro

Thanks folks!

Mike

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine drips the same spot as yours. I'd say it's normal.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust pipe dripping water

Quick Reply: exhaust pipe dripping water