C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my c6 vs new 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:06 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

I test drove a new factory stock 5.0 Mustang GT with 6 spd. with 3.73 gears. I have a factory stock 1988 Mustang GT 5 spd. with 5.0 with 3.55's and a 2005 Corvette A-4 with 3.15's.
The new Mustang GT is very fast. Faster than my old 5.0 and it loves to rev.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by thatonedude1
The new 5.0's are very strong and trapping around 115 @ like 12.4, so a LS2 will be hard pressed to equal that. Take a pass on the race.
What planet are you on where they run stock 12.4 and trap 115? Stock I have only seen one break in to the 12s. They DO NOT trap 115 stock, not even close.

Cat back = ZERO hp
Air intake = ZERO hp

Unless its tuned with full exhaust that Mustang is only going to make more noise than a stock 5.0. Yes, I have raced them and saw one dip in to the 11s but he had full exhaust, intake, complete tune, skinnys up front and drag tires in the rear. Not drag radials, slicks.

He was aroudn 12.2 all day till it cooled off and he got a few high 11s. Even he said his stock 3.73 gear 5.0 only ran a best of 12.98.

Originally Posted by SK360
You're gonna get worked.
I dont think so. Should be close but anything after 100 mph that Vette will start to walk away.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
What planet are you on where they run stock 12.4 and trap 115? Stock I have only seen one break in to the 12s. They DO NOT trap 115 stock, not even close.

Cat back = ZERO hp
Air intake = ZERO hp

Unless its tuned with full exhaust that Mustang is only going to make more noise than a stock 5.0. Yes, I have raced them and saw one dip in to the 11s but he had full exhaust, intake, complete tune, skinnys up front and drag tires in the rear. Not drag radials, slicks.

He was aroudn 12.2 all day till it cooled off and he got a few high 11s. Even he said his stock 3.73 gear 5.0 only ran a best of 12.98.

I dont think so. Should be close but anything after 100 mph that Vette will start to walk away.
I had two 2011 5.0's. One stick and one auto. I never ran the stick car in stock form. But my auto car in bone stock form with 200 miles on it trapped 113mph. My tuned, cai, exhaust stick car trapped 118mph. They are faster than you are giving them credit for. There are several people that have run in the 11's with only a tune and sticky tires. Stock 3.73 geared stick cars have run in the low 12's, but you can believe what ever you want. Ive owed 2 of them... Ive also owned two LS3 vettes. Both good cars, some people are just so brand loyal its nuts.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:53 AM
85mcss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive went at it twice on the highway with a guy I work with in his '11 5.0 and came out by half a car both times. We started at a 35-40 roll both times. To my advantage, he does have a pretty healthy stereo & two W7s in the trunk but he is tuned with aftermarket headers, CAI, and some seriously loud cat-back. Mines an 06 w/18k mi, untuned with just a Corsa Touring CB.

Point being, if they are both M6s, its a drivers game and either way, its a good time..
Old 08-31-2012, 09:57 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Win or lose, you drive home in a nice car, he drives home in his wifes or sons Mustang.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 AM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Win or lose, you drive home in a nice car, he drives home in his wifes or sons Mustang.

Plus, if you listen close, you can almost hear a Mustang depreciate

Old 08-31-2012, 10:00 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by zanekeimigdesigns
Haha sorry, he told me it was a 5 speed, shows how much I know.
no....it shows how much he dosen't know !

regardless the Getrag POS that he has in his 'Stang stands a good chance of balking between 1-2-3 anyways. if he dose not have a 'tune' then he is making 415-420 hp, with a '93' tune 440-445 hp.

having owned a 'tuned' 2011 5.0 I can tell you outright.....it will come down to the tranny and his shifting ability and ........tires ! gotta be able to hook !
Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 AM
ULEWZ
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the look of the mustang, love the engine sound, but hate, I repeat, hate the interior and the headrest on the seat that forces your neck into an uncomfortable position is a deal breaker. I have owned two mustangs, a 70 and an 86, and I will never buy another until they fix that headrest. My 86 was fast, but I will never shy away from a 5.0 with my LS2.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by wazslow
I had two 2011 5.0's. One stick and one auto. I never ran the stick car in stock form. But my auto car in bone stock form with 200 miles on it trapped 113mph. My tuned, cai, exhaust stick car trapped 118mph. They are faster than you are giving them credit for. There are several people that have run in the 11's with only a tune and sticky tires. Stock 3.73 geared stick cars have run in the low 12's, but you can believe what ever you want. Ive owed 2 of them... Ive also owned two LS3 vettes. Both good cars, some people are just so brand loyal its nuts.
Im not brand loyal. I guess you miss my other posts about how I dig the 5.0 and they are a great car.

May I ask where you ran these times at? If its ATCO add .3 seconds to your times and take away 3 mph.

Tune as in complete tune or a handheld or canned tune?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:33 AM
Magnum_Steel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-31-2012, 10:49 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by wazslow
The Mustang is a m6 not m5. My 2011 with tune, cai, exhaust went 12.1 @ 118 mph. So I think you will have your hands full.
Chinese M6 = your normal M5

Old 08-31-2012, 10:51 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

I don't make a practice of racing often, but I've completely OWNED three new Mustangs in the last year, including one blue 2011 Shelby GT500.
The GT500 ran up on me and started taunting me. I resisted for miles, then decided "What the heck!" He had his nose at my drivers door, snorting. We were doing about 65 mph on I-430, I down shifted to 3rd and floored it! Not sure what gear he was in but he pulled even with me around 100 mph. No time to look at gauges but when I came out of 5th he was looking at my taillights!!! Held him there in 6th as long as I wanted.
Now, ... I'm sure this was a fluke or some miss shift on his part, so we hooked up again. This time we were both even-steven at start. Again, this was from about 65 with both of us in our preferred gears and him on my passenger side. Same result, I had a car length on him by the time I went to 6th! We ran a 3rd time, ... same result. I was finished as the risk was too great entering the city. I thought we were done, but after exiting the city he ran up under my tail, then jumped out and floored it. I downshifted to 3rd and floored it. He came around me easily this time .. ??? My only mods are Borla Stingers Catback and Halltech Venom w/Beehive CAI. Pretty sure the GT500 was stock with 550 hp.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Go meet the guy at a drag strip, have some fun and find out. While drag racing is great IMO pointing the car in a straight line and accelerating is a rather limited measure of a car's performance and a driver's skill. I suggest a road course would be a superior measure of a car and driver's all-around abilities. You might not be able to find a road course that would allow a beginner driver to race another novice but it's something you both could work towards. Perhaps the prospect of a road course contest would daunt the Mustang owner's bravado.

Originally Posted by glenB
Why do we entertain ourselves with such dribble .....
Many Corvette (and likely Mustang) owners like to think their car is the fastest car on the road. Armchair 'spec' racing is effortless, there's no risk and and you can always win if you want.

Originally Posted by BadAV
Who cares if you win or lose? If you want to do it, go have some fun. There is always going to be someone else out there that is faster than you, no matter how fast you are.
BINGO!
Old 08-31-2012, 10:55 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

As they say put up or shut up. Kick his butt or listen to his smack. Race him and deal with the results.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Stew24
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 105 Posts

The other noteworthy run against a Mustang was a Black 2012 Mustang GT, black chrome wheels with a 6M and the most wicked aftermarket exhaust note I've heard! Like the others, he initiated it. I resisted for miles. We came through of a small rural town, then the highway open up to a divided highway with NO traffic as far as could be seen. I ran up on him, I saw and heard him down shift. We were doing about 30 mph, I took the left lane and floored it (Don't remember what gear). I was a bit concerned as this car presented as one NOT to be messed with! Long story short, I came from behind him, passed him, then pulled into the right lane before getting off of it. He immediately pulled up wanting a second try. I refused, not wanting to press my luck. Not saying my car is anything special, ... just saying I've been able to handle every Mustang that's tried.
Old 08-31-2012, 11:39 AM
tjthomps5629
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of "crap" is he talking?

I think you both need to find a local Auto-X event and run the cars. See which one performs better over all, not just in a straight line. Please post video and result.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:20 PM
wazslow
Racer

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Im not brand loyal. I guess you miss my other posts about how I dig the 5.0 and they are a great car.

May I ask where you ran these times at? If its ATCO add .3 seconds to your times and take away 3 mph.

Tune as in complete tune or a handheld or canned tune?
I've been to every track in my area and all my cars run the same times (within reason) at all tracks. Atco, Etown, Maple Grove, Cecil county. Im talking cars from 15 sec et's all the way down to low 8 sec et's. Ive probably made more pass's down the track then most people on this site.

The tune was an email tune and uploaded with an SCT tuner, that was on my stick car. The auto car I had was bone stock when I took it to the track.

Last edited by wazslow; 08-31-2012 at 12:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To my c6 vs new 5.0

Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM
wazslow
Racer

Originally Posted by ULEWZ
I like the look of the mustang, love the engine sound, but hate, I repeat, hate the interior and the headrest on the seat that forces your neck into an uncomfortable position is a deal breaker. I have owned two mustangs, a 70 and an 86, and I will never buy another until they fix that headrest. My 86 was fast, but I will never shy away from a 5.0 with my LS2.
The 2013's have an adjustable headrest.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
So he doesn't even know how many gears his car has? Genius!
His stay at the Holiday Inn Express has a limited influence capped at 24hrs. maximum duration.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by zanekeimigdesigns
Screw it, I'm going for it. Hopefully I can get someone to video to show yall mustang boys whats up.
I hope you "go for it" at a track. If not, don't post any video or results here.

Wife has a Mustang GT. We've never raced them and never will since she's not into speed. Since I have A6 and the 'Stang is manual, I suspect I'd take it on a 1/4 mile, but it would be close. If I installed the track tune I have for the 'Stang it might turn out different.

Talk smack all you want about other brands, but be smart enough to know when you can't back up your talk with action. But please, PLEASE if you race legally and have video, post it up to show us "Mustang boys" what happens. As many others have already said, you're likely to not like the outcome.

Quick Reply: my c6 vs new 5.0