C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New job, need car advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New job, need car advice

So I was recently offered a new job as a sales rep calling on doc offices. To give you a snap shot of what kind of driving I'll be doing I'll be covering FL, GA, SC, NC, TN. I live in FL and will be flying and renting a car to visit customers outside of FL. I may even actually be able to fly to Miami and rent a car. I live in Orlando, so Miami is a good 300 miles one way. Jacksonville and Tampa are about 100-120.

Right now I have 2006 C6 Coupe that I use as my daily driver. I would prefer not racking up a ton of miles. Ideally I would be able to keep the C6 and buy something fuel efficient for work.

I wanted to get some of my fellow corvette friends opinions, suggestions, advice on what I should do. I'm sure some of you have similar jobs to the one I was offered, so you may have real world insight which would be great.

Honestly guys any 2 cents you care to share on my situation is welcome. I'm all ears, or I guess since I'll be reading it, I'm all eyes.

Also, any suggestions on what kind of car I should get for the new job? Something cheap and fuel efficient I'm thinking.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:24 PM
sjLt1
Racer

Congrats on the new job.

Take a look at the Chevy Cruze or a 2012 Malibu.. Chevy is trying to make room for the 13's. A friend just got a awesome deal on 12 Malibu.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a whole slew of cars sitting in my fleet. My GS is the total toy of the group. My actual work car is an '06 Mazda 3. Interesting little car, looks pretty nice, drives good and has comfortable seats - I average about 30 mpg. If I was going out today to buy something new to replace it with I would look at 1) Ford Focus 5-door, 2) Suzuki Kizash or 3) Hyundai Elantra. The Chevy Cruze is growing on me... The Mazda3 is a great car but isn't on my list because I would definitely want something completely different.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:27 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

there is a new rear wheel drive subaru out there - check it out BRZ coupe I think - probably not too pricey, but don't know.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 980 Likes on 462 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Old 08-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by Supercrewbear
I have a whole slew of cars sitting in my fleet. My GS is the total toy of the group. My actual work car is an '06 Mazda 3. Interesting little car, looks pretty nice, drives good and has comfortable seats - I average about 30 mpg. If I was going out today to buy something new to replace it with I would look at 1) Ford Focus 5-door, 2) Suzuki Kizash or 3) Hyundai Elantra. The Chevy Cruze is growing on me... The Mazda3 is a great car but isn't on my list because I would definitely want something completely different.

So you like your Mazda 3 right? I'm not necessarily looking for brand new, so I'll check out what I use Mazda 3 goes for. New vs used is part of what I'm trying to figure out. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Cruze, Veloster, Fiesta or Focus. Veloster is underpowered even for what it is though. I haven't driven the turbo model. I would go Veloster Turbo or wait for Fiesta ST.

We have a 2012 Fiesta (auto) and it has been good so far. I wanted manual, but the other half can't drive stick. Gets over 35 MPG every tank.

I loved my Mazdaspeed6. Had a new Mazda3 rental last weekend & the wheel well liner literally flew off driving down 95. I will assume that was just b/c the idiot that worked on it last didn't bolt the crap back in, but who knows. Regardless, the 4 banger in the base model 3 is terrible. Can't even get out of its own way.

Last edited by Never-Enough; 08-29-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by 3L337 C6
there is a new rear wheel drive subaru out there - check it out BRZ coupe I think - probably not too pricey, but don't know.
They are definitely sweet little cars. Their may be situations where a larger car would be nice to take clients out for lunch, dinner, etc... I wouldn't be opposed to a coupe, but it would have to be something bigger. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:46 PM
airmike1
Heel & Toe

Congratulations on the new job! You are going to put on serious miles per year. If it was me, I would consider a VW Jetta or Passat TDI. You can drive the thing spiritly and still get 36/38 mpg. If you hypermileage the thing, you can get close to 50mpg. The 6-speed manual slush box is fine, but the DSG 6-speed auto shifts incredibly fast and yields the same fuel mileage as the manual. The Golf, or hatchback that VW has might be the best since the hatch area gives you utility space.

In 2014, maybe earlie, the Chevy Cruze diesel is going too be available.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Kvothe
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

What a great excuse to go out and test drive a bunch of cars

Congrats on the new job.

I'd check out the Hyundai Elantra, 40 MPG highway for under 20K.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,440 Likes on 782 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a friend in sales and he uses a 2010 Malibu for his travels. Other than a few trim pieces coming off it has served him well mechanically and is coming up on the 100K mile mark.

I have another friend with a 2012 VW Golf diesel that gets great MPG's and drives nice.

You could always go with the standard Camry or Accord as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:59 PM
Sunrise15
Intermediate

I used to have a sales job in Orlando covering all of Florida, I drove most places (although I did fly to the Panhandle..). Will you be paying for gas, or will the company pay the gas?? Will they not lease a car for you?? If they are not paying the expenses on the car, then they should be paying you a ton for the job itself, otherwise stay away from this job....I put about 24,000 miles/year on my car. That will mean you have a ton of expenses for oil changes, tires, brakes, etc...
Old 08-29-2012, 04:10 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Tough call. I had to drive around in a 2-door Hyundai hatch back for a week....it about killed me.

There are lots of good little cars. Honda Civic wouldnt be bad as they seem to run forever. All the offerings anymore are ok.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by golferboy2312
I used to have a sales job in Orlando covering all of Florida, I drove most places (although I did fly to the Panhandle..). Will you be paying for gas, or will the company pay the gas?? Will they not lease a car for you?? If they are not paying the expenses on the car, then they should be paying you a ton for the job itself, otherwise stay away from this job....I put about 24,000 miles/year on my car. That will mean you have a ton of expenses for oil changes, tires, brakes, etc...
Without getting too much into the detials it's a 1099 job; but they are paying me a salary, medical insurance, and a car allowance. On top of that their are quarterly and annual bonuses based on performance, etc... For me personally it will be significantly more then I'm currently making, and I feel it's a competitive for the industry.
I'm pretty sure I'll be flying to the panhandle as well. I'm not sure if I'll be driving or flying to Miami area yet, but I'm thinking fly and rent a car. So I believe my driving will primarily be within a few hours of Orlando. So Jacksonville, Tampa, and surrounding areas.

Thanks for your advice man!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

I used a Honda Civic as my commute car and my GS as a "fun" car. Since you already have a nice corvette..you can buy a used cheap import car. Honda Civic.. Toyota Corolla..Nissan Sentra..etc...They don't get anymore fuel efficient than those company. Maintenance cost are low, parts are easy to find and replace and reliable.

Ever since I got into the Corvette scene 11 years ago..it will always be an import commuter and a Corvette. Best of both worlds!
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

if it were me, and in this day of Isaac being the hammer for more increases in oil prices, I'd get the funnest car I could that gets as close as possible to 40 mpg. and I'd also make sure it's comfortable for short and long hauls. those 3 things: fun, econo, comfortable, will be a compromise. oh, one other thing: set a top limit. this year, I've driven a Yaris and a Fusion, both were pretty good for econo, but the Fusion was far better for comfort.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Gilla81
Pro

Originally Posted by AORoads
if it were me, and in this day of Isaac being the hammer for more increases in oil prices, I'd get the funnest car I could that gets as close as possible to 40 mpg. and I'd also make sure it's comfortable for short and long hauls. those 3 things: fun, econo, comfortable, will be a compromise. oh, one other thing: set a top limit. this year, I've driven a Yaris and a Fusion, both were pretty good for econo, but the Fusion was far better for comfort.
what do you mean by "set a top limit"? Are you referring to the price?

Get notified of new replies

To New job, need car advice

Old 08-29-2012, 05:19 PM
-CM-
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Mini Cooper
Old 08-29-2012, 05:21 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

yes, I am. it's easy (or at least it is for me) to keep "creeping" up, justifying a thousand here and there for this new feature, that cool one, etc. so set a top price, not to exceed. and even tho you WILL be making more, be aware that things can happen to any job---not that it will to you. but leave a little cushion so that if you have to get rid of the car, and it's the worst time to do it, you won't be eating spam. once you're there for awhile, you can always "upgrade" if you think it's necessary.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:24 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

whatever you do, do NOT buy a honda.. pos
ford chevy mazda hundai
the later nissan altimas get like 38mpg with the cvt trans its ridiculous!
better than the pos honda civic i have, which gets maybe 32mpg with almost exclusive highway driving

Quick Reply: New job, need car advice