C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bearing possibly

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Powder06C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing possibly

So I noticed a slight grinding/popping sound that seemed to be coming from the left front wheel area on my 06 coupe (30k on the odometer) the other day, as I was turning sharply out of the car wash. Thought at first maybe the tire was rubbing or something caught underneath, looked nothing there. Cut the wheel all the way to the left ran my hand around the edges to see if anything was rubbing, nope. So I figure its probably a wheel bearing. Earliest I can drop it off is 3 p.m. Wednesday after I get out of class. How long will it take to repair if that is the case? Going to call tomorrow try'n get scheduled in. Got a Zurich extended warranty so hopefully everything is covered.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

could be end link.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Powder06C6
So I noticed a slight grinding/popping sound that seemed to be coming from the left front wheel area on my 06 coupe (30k on the odometer) the other day, as I was turning sharply out of the car wash. Thought at first maybe the tire was rubbing or something caught underneath, looked nothing there. Cut the wheel all the way to the left ran my hand around the edges to see if anything was rubbing, nope. So I figure its probably a wheel bearing. Earliest I can drop it off is 3 p.m. Wednesday after I get out of class. How long will it take to repair if that is the case? Going to call tomorrow try'n get scheduled in. Got a Zurich extended warranty so hopefully everything is covered.
Just a thought.....there's two other instances of the noise you describe with early C6's.....slippage in the Posi rear & loose rear axle nuts. Before you assume you're hearing a bad front axle bearing, have someone stand outside the car & listen for the sound. Sometimes from inside it's hard to distinguish if a noise is coming from the front or rear.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:46 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You might raise the wheel/tire off the ground, place your hands on either edge of the tire and try rocking the wheel/tire in and out....see if there's any 'play.' You can have a bearing go bad without any 'play' being felt but if there's slop that's a good indicator the bearing's bad. When driving is there any noise or vibration when turning in one direction or the other? That might mean a bad bearing as well. If the bearing is shot and it's not a warranty replacement I highly recommend the SKF hub/bearing. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:33 PM
vettdreamer
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres another thought I had my 08 into the dealer yesterday for a poping or grinding noise while turning from the front end. I had a friend that works there take it in and he told the mech. he heard it from the front end also while turning into the lot. Well guess what it was the famous change your rear dif fluid that we've all read about, I could have swore it was the front. New fluid sound gone

Ron
Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vettdreamer
Heres another thought I had my 08 into the dealer yesterday for a poping or grinding noise while turning from the front end. I had a friend that works there take it in and he told the mech. he heard it from the front end also while turning into the lot. Well guess what it was the famous change your rear dif fluid that we've all read about, I could have swore it was the front. New fluid sound gone

Ron
1st that came to my mind also

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel bearing possibly

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing possibly