C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible tops (color related)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:00 PM
J.J.D.O.
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default convertible tops (color related)

My current 427 is scheduled for production with a black top. I've had a hard time choosing an appropriate color based on the appearance of the top.

It seems almost obvious that a black convertible top would be the easiest to keep clean and maintain, but is that true? I would like to hear opinions on this.

This car will be driven alot. This won't be a garage queen so I'm looking for a top that won't require a great amount of work to keep clean, however in the FL sun, I suspect I will be topless alot

Cyber Grey with Black top on order

Thanks,
JJ

Last edited by J.J.D.O.; 08-25-2012 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Added color of car
Old 08-25-2012, 09:41 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't say what color the car is.
tan is out for trying to keep clean (and because i don't like tan tops ), and black, i think, shows the wrinkles and their 'shiny spots' from being folded up pretty noticeably. i think the blue is a good choice, or the grey, but that's a personal decision, and depends on the paint color.
my silver car has a black top and i'm going to replace it with grey when the time comes. or sooner.
for a cleanig tip, i use a tear off tape style lint roller, the kind you use on your clothes, to clean the dust and fuzzies off of the top between washings.

Last edited by dklowrider; 08-25-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Yes, generally true.

If you did a search for past many years you would find many threads complaining about the tan and gray tops having black/dark stains, especially where they fold when down, that are almost impossible to get out.

Of course that doesn't mean that EVERY top in those colors has to be a problem. Several have reported no such problems. Maybe they're lucky, or OCD about cleaning them every week, who knows.

But generally the black ones are pretty easy. Vacuum and/or lint roll as often as needed, wash with regular car wash soap only as needed which really isn't usually much. Make sure when you do wash, or when it just gets wet, to let it dry THOROUGHLY before putting it down. That can take hours, even days sometimes, but it has to be really, thoroughly dry.

And just to throw it in, Ragg Top is the product of choice for cleaning (when it's really dirty) and conditioning over the years.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by RicK T
Yes, generally true.

If you did a search for past many years you would find many threads complaining about the tan and gray tops having black/dark stains, especially where they fold when down, that are almost impossible to get out.

Of course that doesn't mean that EVERY top in those colors has to be a problem. Several have reported no such problems. Maybe they're lucky, or OCD about cleaning them every week, who knows.

But generally the black ones are pretty easy. Vacuum and/or lint roll as often as needed, wash with regular car wash soap only as needed which really isn't usually much. Make sure when you do wash, or when it just gets wet, to let it dry THOROUGHLY before putting it down. That can take hours, even days sometimes, but it has to be really, thoroughly dry.

And just to throw it in, Ragg Top is the product of choice for cleaning (when it's really dirty) and conditioning over the years.
i didn't think about the fold areas getting black on the lighter ones. i guess it depends on how clean you keep it. maybe the shiny spots on the black wouldn't look as bad as black streaks if it's a dd.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:05 PM
J.J.D.O.
Racer

Originally Posted by dklowrider
you don't say what color the car is

Thanks for both of your thoughts on the matter. I've ordered Cyber Grey with Black top, however I really, really considered Night Race with Beige. I'm so torn.

Last edited by J.J.D.O.; 08-25-2012 at 10:08 PM.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Originally Posted by J.J.D.O.
Thanks for both of your thoughts on the matter. I've ordered Cyber Grey with Black top, however I really, really considered Night Race with Beige. I'm so torn.
oh boy, stick with the cyber grey / black then. please. i love the night race paint, but, well, you know, (beige top ).
Old 08-25-2012, 10:29 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, black is the obvious choice but have you considered the blue? I think that would look good with the Cyber grey and would be dark enough to keep looking clean. It would also be unique...just a thought.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,435 Likes on 779 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I have a black top on my 06 LeMans Blue and I have a crystal red 427 with black top waiting to be built (TPW 9/3). My 06's top still looks new. I'm in NW Florida and it sits in the sun all day when I'm at work.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:02 AM
J.J.D.O.
Racer

Originally Posted by dklowrider
oh boy, stick with the cyber grey / black then. please. i love the night race paint, but, well, you know, (beige top ).
Old 08-26-2012, 10:15 AM
MIAVette89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

only color i like tan tops on is red (i have a red vert with tan top so im biased) but id definitely go with black or dark blue given that color.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Rocketmanwpb
Safety Car

Received 461 Likes on 235 Posts

I have an 08 with a black top and it does have some wrinkles. If they bother you they can be steamed out, otherwise it looks like new. Just two small areas that are a little shiny after 4 years of use.

As an aside I started using 303 Fabric Guard to make the top water repellant. The difference between this product and the Scotch Guard is dramatic. The water beads up with the 303 like the top has been waxed.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:25 PM
dlparsons
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by J.J.D.O.
My current 427 is scheduled for production with a black top. I've had a hard time choosing an appropriate color based on the appearance of the top.

It seems almost obvious that a black convertible top would be the easiest to keep clean and maintain, but is that true? I would like to hear opinions on this.

This car will be driven alot. This won't be a garage queen so I'm looking for a top that won't require a great amount of work to keep clean, however in the FL sun, I suspect I will be topless alot

Cyber Grey with Black top on order

Thanks,
JJ
I saw a black top on a brand new car at Carlisle this weekend and it was covered in lint, dust and hair. Looked a mess. I prefer the lighter colors myself, they're cooler and aren't any harder to keep clean IMO.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:47 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

anything other than cashmere, it's the king of stains
Old 08-28-2012, 06:30 PM
J.J.D.O.
Racer

Originally Posted by RicK T
Vacuum and/or lint roll as often as needed, wash with regular car wash soap only as needed which really isn't usually much. Make sure when you do wash, or when it just gets wet, to let it dry THOROUGHLY before putting it down. That can take hours, even days sometimes, but it has to be really, thoroughly dry.

Great information. Thanks

Originally Posted by Rocketmanwpb
As an aside I started using 303 Fabric Guard to make the top water repellant. The difference between this product and the Scotch Guard is dramatic. The water beads up with the 303 like the top has been waxed.
Thanks for the information. How long have you been using this product and where do you typically acquire said product. Unfortunately, I can't see the pics you posted.

Originally Posted by dlparsons
I saw a black top on a brand new car at Carlisle this weekend and it was covered in lint, dust and hair. Looked a mess.

Originally Posted by speedraider
anything other than cashmere, it's the king of stains
That's what I've always seen! I'll stick with the Black

TPW 9/17

Get notified of new replies

To convertible tops (color related)

Quick Reply: convertible tops (color related)