C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My friends say I'm an idiot, what do you say

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 AM
raf06C6
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garye
I bought n 08 vert with an automatic about 2 months ago. I could not stand the auto transmission constantly trying to shift in to 6th gear at 40 mph. I missed having the control of my gears and the pure joy of slamming the gears, so just after 2months I bought an 2011 GS 6 speed. I'm 60 yrs. old and my friends are telling me I'm nuts to give up the auto for a 6 speed, but what's done is done...... but between me and you, am I nuts????

I grew up in the 60's muscle car era, a 4 speed was the only way to go.
56 chevy--327
73 convertible lemans
70 Grand Torino 429 Cobra jet, back window louvres, and working Ram Air shaker

god ole days
Not at all! I have an 06 auto, had buyers remorse and went for an 08 6sp, never looked back!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:41 AM
jb_va2001
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
DC Area Events Coordinator

Being nuts can be more fun.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
SamHouseIII
Advanced

Your friends don't have to like it, you do!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:11 AM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Drive what you like. We're lucky to have the choice - some more expensive sports cars don't offer manuals anymore!

BTW - You had a 73 Lemans convertible? Was it after market converted? 1972 was the last year for the Pontiac Lemans in convertible trim.

I've had people think I got ripped for buying such an expensive car that "doesn't have an automatic transmission"...

Last edited by SSTEVEGS; 08-25-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: spelling on "converted"
Old 08-25-2012, 08:15 AM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carver Electrics. apparently you missed my point. I was trying to make the OP feel better about his decision by sharing with him an expensive lesson that I learned myself. But instead, you misinterpreted my post and attacked me personally. I've been a member of this forum for 5 years and have helped many people in many areas. Some through open forum, but many more through private messages. I've also made many friends here. You've been a member for what 3 months? If you are so angry inside that it makes you feel good to bash fellow car enthusiasts then go for it. I'm just glad I don't have to live inside that bitterness. In the end, you're the one who looked childish!
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 AM
UncleRobb
Racer

The 6-speed automatic - with two automatic and one manual mode with shift paddles at the steering wheel - is, as has already been pointed out, indeed the best of both worlds. In addition there are no missed shifts and no over revving. And no, in manual mode, the torque converter is only effective when gears are being changed, otherwise it is locked. If you want to rev the engine while driving, you can switch to neutral as the equivalent of pushing the clutch.

With a stick shift, you have to deal with the somewhat notchy transmission, and with wear and tear, especially of the clutch, you might face the hanging clutch pedal problem, you might have difficulties getting into reverse, etc.

However, I might be somewhat biased: My first Vette was a C5 auto, then I had a C5 manual, and now I have a C6 auto.

Do whatever pleases you. Its your life and your money.

Regards, Robert
Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

If you just 'wanted' a new car thats great. But I understand your 'friends' comments. You spent and lost a bunch of $ for a manual trans car. I disagree that 60 is the new 20? You gotta be kidding or living in a fantasy world. Its not even the new 40 LOL in my book. I can shift gears with the best of them. Drove manuals for several decades. I don't want a manual transmission. They are more troublesome and not as long lasting for one. I like my paddles. Once you figure them out they work just dandy. If I'm on rolling roads and trans shifts a lot I just put it in S and lock 6th gear. Car has plenty of torque in 6th for most rolling roads. As far as reving the motor in neutral these EFI and drive by wire suck at that anyway. Now maybe with a COW/Boost engine and trans tune they might be better. You could have spent under $500? for a COW boost,tune,trans tune and from what I've read about it had a night and day difference in that 2008 auto trans you got rid of. Swapping cars cost you how many $thousands? Don't use the manual/auto trans thing as the main reason. Sounds like you just wanted a newer car. Thats cool. Your money,your desires. None of us gotta have these.

Last edited by Ketchum; 08-25-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
Drive what you like. We're lucky to have the choice - some more expensive sports cars don't offer manuals anymore!

BTW - You had a 73 Lemans convertible? Was it after market converted? 1972 was the last year for the Pontiac Lemans in convertible trim.

I've had people think I got ripped for buying such an expensive car that "doesn't have an automatic transmission"...
It could well have been a 72, you have to remember I graduated from high school in 70 so I was a full blown child of the 60's early 70's and lived in Florida, I was stoned for about 5 years before I got my act together. So, 72,73, it was a convertible and I didn't change anything that I remember, so 72 it is, thanks for the info.

People around me just think I'm on my third mid-life crisis, had 3 Harleys before I sold the last one in 2008 and started buying vettes, on my third one now. I guess if I stay mid-life I won't croak anytime soon.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ketchum
If you just 'wanted' a new car thats great. But I understand your 'friends' comments. You spent and lost a bunch of $ for a manual trans car. I disagree that 60 is the new 20? You gotta be kidding or living in a fantasy world. Its not even the new 40 LOL in my book. I can shift gears with the best of them. Drove manuals for several decades. I don't want a manual transmission. They are more troublesome and not as long lasting for one. I like my paddles. Once you figure them out they work just dandy. If I'm on rolling roads and trans shifts a lot I just put it in S and lock 6th gear. Car has plenty of torque in 6th for most rolling roads. As far as reving the motor in neutral these EFI and drive by wire suck at that anyway. Now maybe with a COW/Boost engine and trans tune they might be better. You could have spent under $500? for a COW boost,tune,trans tune and from what I've read about it had a night and day difference in that 2008 auto trans you got rid of. Swapping cars cost you how many $thousands? Don't use the manual/auto trans thing as the main reason. Sounds like you just wanted a newer car. Thats cool. Your money,your desires. None of us gotta have these.
Nope, just wanted the 6 speed. I loved the color of my 08 and the mods I had (that will cost me another 6,000.00 to replicate) and everything worked perfect, if it was a 6 speed I'd have it for ten more years, BUT the tranny always wanted to shift to a higher gear than I wanted, at about 40mph I was in 6th gear with my auto, thats too low, now I know I could go to paddle shift and sport mode and gear it up, BUT shifting a car with my finger just doesn't seem right. Who knows maybe I will get tired of the manual in a year or so. If so will sell it and buy a ricer with an auto.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM
garye
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
Carver Electrics. apparently you missed my point. I was trying to make the OP feel better about his decision by sharing with him an expensive lesson that I learned myself. But instead, you misinterpreted my post and attacked me personally. I've been a member of this forum for 5 years and have helped many people in many areas. Some through open forum, but many more through private messages. I've also made many friends here. You've been a member for what 3 months? If you are so angry inside that it makes you feel good to bash fellow car enthusiasts then go for it. I'm just glad I don't have to live inside that bitterness. In the end, you're the one who looked childish!

Somebody's going to get sent to their room without supper
Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 PM
Jimmy Z
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Enjoy..................
Old 08-25-2012, 05:46 PM
MGP1
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Friends don't call friends idiots!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:49 PM
Evander Holyfield
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 53 Posts

Owning a Corvette is not typically a decision based on being "practical". If you got what you want and you're happy... that's good enough for me!
Old 08-25-2012, 05:51 PM
kpride
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

OP you are NOT nuts. you made the best decision! it will make the grin just wider
Old 08-25-2012, 07:36 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just enjoy. As long as you are aware that you are "nuts", you are not.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:31 PM
Iron Texan
Advanced

It is crazy the difference a 36 year age gap in friends makes. Being 24, my friends would have called me crazy for going with the auto in the first place. Enjoy being in complete control of your transmission.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:06 AM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I love the fine control only a manual clutch can give. The Vette is a precision machine, and you really do have fine control with a manual.

And the clutch - I bet - with careful manual synco shifting - the clutch can last the life of the car.

My Porsche 944's first clutch lasted 150K miles, but then the replacement lasted 450K miles (after I finally learned how to shift properly) and was still good when the car was finally parted out.

Corvette = MANUAL

age 64...!

Quick Reply: My friends say I'm an idiot, what do you say