C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took My First Test Drive Today

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 11:56 PM
X Army MP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took My First Test Drive Today

Drove the 80+ miles to OKC to test drive a new C6 coup. Holy smokes I want one more than ever now. I had a grin from ear to ear afterwards. But the dealer wasn't thrilled about a test drive in rain. I don't blame em.

Did you know Vettes don't melt when driven in the rain?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:00 AM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,335 Likes on 775 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Yeah I hate to tell you but you're infected for life now!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:09 AM
z edge
Race Director

Location: BOOMER SOONER Big 12 Champions 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - 2008, 2010, 2012, 2015 - 2020.....
Received 914 Likes on 527 Posts

Ohhh yeah you should have waited till the rain passed LOL.

What dealer? Details on the car.

And yes you should probably buy it if they give you a reasonable deal.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:15 AM
X Army MP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by z edge
Ohhh yeah you should have waited till the rain passed LOL.

What dealer? Details on the car.

And yes you should probably buy it if they give you a reasonable deal.
David Stanley Chevy. It was a white C6 base coup with paddle shifters. I can't buy right now untill I find out if I get this new job in Ponca. Which didn't slow them down at all.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 AM
X Army MP
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BearZ06
Yeah I hate to tell you but you're infected for life now!
Vette Addiction is in my near future
Old 08-19-2012, 12:18 AM
fairlydangerous1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, better sell a kidney or something because now you must have one.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

Only cure for Corvette fever is a Corvette in your garage! Remember there are only two kinds of people, those who drive Corvette and those who wish they could!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Good luck on getting your new job.

Vettes are very fun to drive.

I bought my current Vette at that dealership, only because it was a good deal. Look at some of the other dealerships also. Knipplemier in Blanchard, and Marc Heitz in Norman always have a lot of Vettes, and both support the local Vette clubs.

I bought my first Vette at Knipplemier. Easiest car transaction I have had.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Supercrewbear
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of an expensive test drive but back in '09 when was contemplating buying my first Corvette I rented one of the Hertz ZHZ rentals TWICE. I knew it would be "used" but I was mostly concerned about actually fitting inside and being comfortable -- I'm not exactly tiny and delicate... I rented one for a day then a few weeks later I rented another one (didn't get the same one) for two days and took it on a road trip from Dallas to Houston and back -- round trip and extra driving was about 800 miles. Most dealers are reluctant to let you drive a Vette and then seem to only want to let you go "around the block", more or less. The one day rental was a little over $200, I think. The two days with all those miles was more like $500... I would have rather spent that much money to find out I didn't really like it than to spend $60,000 to find out I didn't.

Have had *MY* GS for about 2-1/2 years now.

Last edited by Supercrewbear; 08-19-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:17 AM
DonOH
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

The first Saturday of last November I test drove my first Corvette. It was a 2007 coupe with 6 speed; first manual I had driven in 32 years. Later the same day I drove a 2008 coupe and mastered the 3rd gear start (forgot to go back to 1st) which is really no problem in a Vette. I was hooked. Went out that Sunday drove a gorgeous 2009 coupe in Cyber Gray with black and red interior and it followed me home.

Every day just keeps getting better.

One important lesson, in a parking lot of concrete parking blocks in front of the spots - stop way short. The front is longer than you think so you can beach the car easily. But the back is shorter so stopping early does not leave the rear hanging out.

Good luck with getting one soon.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:44 AM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I must give you credit. You drive 80 miles for a test drive in the rain and not sure when you will be able to buy it as it depends on getting a new job.
Man, I was driving a C5 for almost 7 years and stayed away from even getting in a C6 for the past two years, because I knew if I did the C5 was most likely history. Well about four weeks ago I took the plunge and test drove a few different C6's and 3 weeks ago I made the switch.
I don't think I could do what you did.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:47 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I had always wanted a Corvette and chuckled every time I saw the sticker price; no way was I ever going to be able to afford one.

Then this past March I went on a whim to a dealer near Columbus, and did my first ever test drive of a base 2011 coupe.

The tranny and clutch and speed were as smooth as butter and I was hooked from the get go.

Found a blue 2012 down the street from me, and again chuckled, but a few days later, as someone here said, it followed me home.

Damn I am in love.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:57 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

my suggestion is to treat yourself to the c6. Its been almost 5 years...in my 08 c6 Z51 M6 coupe with the nPP..

Its been 51k miles of excellence. Everytime I get in the car which is everyday...I laugh my @ss off..

Since rolling over 50 years old...I tend not to let the things I own... own me...so I use the car everyday.

Its been a great experience and your right..the car doesnt melt in the rain or the snow..

My cars washed every week..(blacks a pIA! ) LOL but other than that...a few personalized mods to keep the laughs at peak levels..

DSV all alcantara d shaped steering wheel...the hud....a MGW short throw shifter with alcantara shift **** and boot..(installed at the same time as the MGW) The COW booster for improved throttle response and the M2W exhaust control for a few laughs but most of the time I just allow the standard setting of the NPP exhaust..

This base coupe rocks out at 190 mph (not that I do it) accelerates to 60 mph in 4 flat and pulls 1 lateral g's..

I did dump the runflats for Hankook evo 12's at 750 for a set of four...and it gave me a better ride and handling...as well as the air filter from CCA....( I can't remember the name but its a nice easy install for a few extra ponies...)

Like I said...its been 51k miles of excellence...

The insurance is only 850 a year...and the maintaince is basically change the oil every 8k miles..

Gas mileage is good...15 around town..(I have fun with it) and 27 mpg on the highway.

One other mod was the TKO block it kit that installs in about 30 seconds...as it cuts down on hatchback harmonics which is cool for a daily driver...

Hope this helps and remember...we only get one trip on this journey called life...

Go for it. (preowned from the forum is also a great way to go as the depreciation has already occurred and most of the cars are well cared for beyond belief.

I bought new back in 07 because I wanted the LS3
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
bass mechanic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i made the same mistake, i had never really thought much about owning a corvette. however this particular day for some reason it entered my mind that i should see if the local chevy dealer had any to test drive.
turns out they had a 2005 base coupe on their used lot.
they don't normally let people drive corvettes at this lot but since it was used we took it for a spin.
i could not believe the difference in power between my then 300 hp lexus IS350 and the 400 hp corvette.
it made me feel like i absolutely owned the road!
anyway after we got back the sales person proceeded to tell me about the different models and the Z06 sounded like something i might actually be able to afford. but they didn't have any used for me to drive.
so i found another dealer who had a used one and we took it for a spin..
well to say the least now i was totally hooked! problem was the dealer didn't want to work with me on my trade in or the purchase price, but at least now i knew what i wanted.
so i found a used 2008 in TX and negotiated over the phone and drove it home.
I've since sold the Z and bought a 2012 centennial edition Z06 and couldn't be happier!

so using my experience for anyone else reading this, if your thinking about buying a corvette but not sure if you really want to or not, my advice is to stay away from any sort of test drives, because once you get in one you'll end up doing whatever it takes to own one. it is a lot like a bad crack addiction! it will make your bucket list incomplete until you end up buying one.
trust me i know..
previously to the corvette i have owned several honda, acura, toyota, lexus vehicles and still drive them! not really a chevy guy by any means and still am not really a chevy guy but i sure enjoy the vette.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Allan
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by X Army MP
Drove the 80+ miles to OKC to test drive a new C6 coup. Holy smokes I want one more than ever now. I had a grin from ear to ear afterwards. But the dealer wasn't thrilled about a test drive in rain. I don't blame em.

Did you know Vettes don't melt when driven in the rain?
Welcome to the dark side.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Be sure to check out all Forum dealers for great prices and the best deal possible before you buy. You can generally get the best deal right here ate the good ole CF!

Old 08-19-2012, 11:41 AM
jwf
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're hooked now. I looked at them for years but always resisted taking a test drive; but when I finally did take a test drive I was back in about 30 days to buy one.

Get notified of new replies

To Took My First Test Drive Today

Old 08-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

You know the old saying, " One nibble and you are hooked!"
Go for it!
Old 08-19-2012, 12:01 PM
bamawrx
Instructor

I took my grumpy teenager for his first ride in the carbon Z06 yesterday. It was uneventful until this motorcycle decides to attempt a U turn into oncoming traffic (us). No problem, the carbon ceramic breaks did the trick. And since the car was warmed up and I was already back down in first I thought this would be a good time to break the ice with my passenger. (And send a message to the lucky to be alive motorcycle rider) So I rolled on it! Little bit of wheel spin, exhaust in wild mode, took her up to 7K and had some more fun in 2nd. Needless to say my son was unable to keep the mule eating briars grin off his face.

It also provided me with the opportunity to lecture him on watching for motorcycles on pretty weekend days in the Spring and Fall. Bikes were everywhere, and I'm sure some haven't been touched in months.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Nice Ride
Only cure for Corvette fever is a Corvette in your garage! Remember there are only two kinds of people, those who drive Corvette and those who wish they could!
I'm a third kind. I have a Vert and want a Z06 to park next to it in my garage. Having one has not cured me of wanting an extra one!

Quick Reply: Took My First Test Drive Today