C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Got Keyed...AGAIN. Need Help with the video!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Greg Hipps
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Got Keyed...AGAIN. Need Help with the video!

Okay, so about three weeks ago my black 08 LS3 6MT was keyed in the middle of the night. I figured it was drunk teenagers out doing general mischief. Nonetheless, I had some video cameras installed (Night Owl). Well, exactly three weeks later it happens again. This time, the guy goes over board and dumps paint all over it, too! Then, the @#$#@ has the cajones to leave the paint can in my trash can, hoping the trash guys will get rid of the evidence.

So, the cops have the video and the paint can. Unfortunately, they said there are no prints on the paint can, which I find very hard to believe. When I played the video for the cops, they said they couldn't make out the individuals face - which is understandable. However, they did go over to my neighbors house (whom I've never even spoken to aside from a casual "Good Afternoon" or "Hello") and the 73 year old is wearing the exact same thing as the guy in the video, and could fit that description. They bring him in, but he won't admit to it.

Does anyone in this community know of a way I can sharpen the image in the video to make the mans face stand out? From what I've heard from other neighbors, this guy is some sort of racist and doesn't like me having a black girlfriend. Since she refuses to change colors, this will undoubtedly keep happening until he is put away. I'd appreciate any help I can get here!

I'm trying to get the video to post on YouTube, but not having much luck. If I knew how to shorten it, that may help. Here's some snipped pictures for an idea of what I'm dealing with, here.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps/Vandal4.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps/Vandal3.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps/Vandal2.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps/Vandal1.jpg
Old 08-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Stellas Keeper
Instructor

Originally Posted by Greg Hipps
I'd appreciate any help I can get here!
That's some dirty ****!! PM sent.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

WOW! That is unreal... Not to make light of your situation, but I love the comment about your girlfriend refusing to change colors...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 107 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry about your Vette but the cops are right they will never be able to prosecute with that video as evidence. Before I retired from the force I work many cases similar to yours. Just keep in mind if you are going to get a camera system make sure you look at the quality of the video before you invest your money in one. You can post some flyers with a small reward in the area to see if someone will come forward. Someone knows he did it.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Greg Hipps
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rossi6998
WOW! That is unreal... Not to make light of your situation, but I love the comment about your girlfriend refusing to change colors...
Yeah, after a certain amount of stress you gotta just take a step back and laugh it off. I just hope justice gets served so that he doesn't do anything even more extreme next time!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

that is pretty outrageous behavior...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Greg Hipps
Intermediate

I think I'm going to print out these pictures (if I can't get a better one) and nail them to the tree in front of his house with the caption, "HAVE YOU SEEN OUR NEIGHBORHOOD VANDAL?"
Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 PM
gsxrguy84
Racer

you need a better camera..... hard to tell there is even a person in those shots.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 PM
St.Char
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

If you own a Mac, there is a video editing app. on it. Otherwise, you can purchase video editing software for around $100.00 or less that will do a great job enhancing your footage, plus you will use it more than you think.

Start shopping...
Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tries but not enough detail to really see.
Ask him point bank and the way he answers may tell you.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sorry for your situation and the repeated vadalism to the car. Frankly, at this point I'm not so sure I'd go wide with the video. Just like audio experts can often enhance audio recordings, video can sometimes be enhanced as well. Whether or not you've got enough quality to work with I don't know. I'd get the car repaired and then take whatever measures necessary to insure you can 'catch' the creep if he does it again.

Does the paint happen to match the neighbor's house? Can you determine where the paint was purchased? Perhaps with a photo of the neighbor a salesperson might remember him buying the paint. Maybe's he's on video buying the paint although a store would likely be unwilling to turn over the video to you.

You shouldn't have to do the police department's job but chances are they consider this simple vandalism or malicious mischief. Perhaps you could get the case elevated to a hate crimes status?

I'd talk with some security experts to see what measures you can employ to insure either it won't happen again or if it does you'll be able to ID the person. Good luck!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:48 PM
Sick
Instructor

I would flip a bitch and destroy that mans life if he did that to my car. I wish you the best of luck OP. And I wish that old racist the worst of luck.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:54 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry...that sux!

With no garage or secure parking you are just inviting trouble unfortunately.

You need an observasion system that would allow you to view security footage instantly or remotely using an Internet browser or on supported 3G smartphones. You can even receive e-mail alerts when motion/activity is detected. Many systems have mobile apps for iPhone/iPad and Android. It allows you to see what’s going on at your property with just the touch of a finger. View live feeds from different cameras on your property simultaneously, or review video recorded footage on your DVR.

However you system is limited by the quality of the cameras. Crappy cameras will result in useless images and footage like you have recorded.

As with many things, spend the $$ and get a good observation system and quality camera(s).
Old 08-16-2012, 11:56 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately there's no way to "enhance" the image to make the perp visible. I blame TV shows like CSI, etc for that myth. Really sorry to hear about your situation. Looks like you'll have to catch this jerk red-handed.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 08-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,004 Likes on 471 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

If it were me and I REALLY thought it was the neighbor...I would go over and threaten the effer and say if you ever come on my property again I will not be responsible for my actions. I would then get a camera that is 10x better and wait for him to make his move and put up lights the work on movement.

Good luck !
Old 08-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I remember a while back this guy was getting his HUMMER scratched, after the third time he put a video camera on the side view mirror and ended up catching the culprit, it ended up being a 74 year old m-fer some old people are real a-holes, good luck, hopefully you catch the SOB

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Got Keyed...AGAIN. Need Help with the video!

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 AM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Hipps
Does anyone in this community know of a way I can sharpen the image in the video to make the mans face stand out?
Sorry to say it but you are learning the hard way why cheap surveillance cameras are a complete waste of money. Unfortunately there's little to nothing you can do with sheyatt source material to bring out any additional details.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,149 Posts

If those pictures are even close to the quality of the video there is nothing that can enhance that footage. There is not way to put detail into a video that has no detail to start with. What you see on TV shows like CSI is fiction, it doesn't exist.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:55 AM
1Asterisk
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What system is that and how far away is your car from the camera?

Also check the dvr settings. They come set standard to the lowest quality.

Quick Reply: C6 Got Keyed...AGAIN. Need Help with the video!