C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Busy Few August Weeks for my '11 GS (ALMS, HPDE, and Factory/Museum) warning lots pix

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 12:45 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Default Busy Few August Weeks for my '11 GS (ALMS, HPDE, and Factory/Museum) warning lots pix

It's been a busy, but very fun August for me and my 2011 Corvette Grand Sport.

8.03.12 - 8.04.12
First, my parents and my g/f and I went up to the ALMS (American LeMans) series race at Mid-Ohio and did the corral. I've been doing it for years and always enjoy it. The race was great other then the suspension part failure for the one C6R. The corral tent wasn't as well stocked (drinks and food) as some years but still worth it. The corral always has the factory drivers and a few GM engineers or Corvette higher ups pick one car each from the corral as their favorite. I was lucky enough to have Antonio Garcia choose my car, he said "it looks almost like our race car.." on his judging sheet that he signed and I got an awesome looking plaque to go along with it signed by him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to make a day long trip and head down the museum and factory. I've been MANY times before, including watching my 2007 be built, but I've never actually been there with one of MY corvettes. So the g/f and I left southern Ohio bright and early with a 2pm CEN factory tour time. We got there early enough and spent some time in the museum and ate a quick lunch at the new cafe. This is the first time I've been down since the remodel/expansion. We left the museum and headed over to the factory for the tour. After doing the 4+hr tour with a well-informed tour guide my 1hr tour with the college kid wasn't even enough to wet my whistle, but the g/f enjoyed it. Lots and I mean LOTS of 427 'verts going down the line. Quite a few 60th white packages, and lots of the two different blues on the line. I bet I didn't spot but 5-7 base body coupes. EVERYTHING was widebody. We ran back over to the museum to finish our tour and hit the gift shop, not to mention see the 9/11 exhibit that is on loan to the NCM. It was moving and awesome.

After getting back from the 4hr trip south to Bowling Green I had to check my car over real good. I had a HPDE (high performance driving event) with 10/10ths Motorsports which I've run with many times. If anyone is looking to see what their Corvette can do check out Bill's organization. He runs a great event everytime (mostly ohio, indiana, etc). Got the brakes bled, all the suspension components checked, and my car along with my dad's truck all packed up. Three hour drive back north to Mid-Ohio.

The first two sessions it was wet and raining pretty decent. I sat out. Risk versus reward just was too high for me, especially since I had already bolted on the Hoosier R6s. Got three great afternoon sessions after lunch. Car ran flawlessly with everything I could throw at it. Couldn't match my best of 1.40, but ran multiple 1.41s and lots of 42s, 43s, etc. I wish I lived closer to a racetrack. It's a shame Bluegrass Motorsports Park in KY never got finished.

Video with Data from the last session of the day (I got out first in the line) - be sure to change quality to 720p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eTVOQ--ucg

Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 PM
milt IV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice pics! Looks like you had an awesome time.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:14 PM
george vee
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,074 Likes on 532 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Thanks for posting, I enjoyed all the pics
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 822 Likes on 391 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

First off Congratulation on the Corvette Corral Award. They don't give that many away and with all the Corvette's that are normally in a corral that is a nice award. I know, I received one at the St. Pete GP the first year that ALMS was there.
Now thanks for posting the pictures and it looks like you had a great time.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:31 PM
jack5hd
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BWF07
First off Congratulation on the Corvette Corral Award. They don't give that many away and with all the Corvette's that are normally in a corral that is a nice award. I know, I received one at the St. Pete GP the first year that ALMS was there.
I'm totally NOT one to brag, but I'll mention that last three ALMS races I've went to (MidOhio '11, Petit LeMans '11, and MidOhio '12) I've won an corral award from the team! Talk about lucky. I think they like that it's yellow like the race car, has race seats and harnesses, and AP Racing calipers, tow hook, carbon splitter and skirts, zr1 spoiler. They all comment how it looks like the race car.

Mid Ohio 2011 - Doug Fehan picked it
Petit LeMans 2011 - Richard Westbrook picked it
Mid Ohio 2012 - Antonio Garcia picked it

...and I'm totally one of those guys that at the local car cruise-in or show I take like 10min to clean it, cause I'd rather bs with the guys or look at the cars - don't really care about the awards/trophys.

BUT, I feel extremely honored to be chosen three times!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by george vee
me, too! that was really excellent, both the writeup and the pics. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:26 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by AORoads
me, too! that was really excellent, both the writeup and the pics. Thanks!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

NOW there's a guy that knows how to really have fun with his Corvette. Looks like an awesome trip and lots of fun. I was also at Mid Ohio for the ALMS race and was in the Corvette Corral but we headed back home here to PA after Sunday's Indy Car race...

Thanks for sharing all your pics and video........
Old 08-16-2012, 05:57 PM
RO55
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding! The video was great thanks for sharing.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:49 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Very Cool. You will never forget that one!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

My plan was also to make it up to the open house today in Wixom, MI where they build the ZR1, Z06, and dry sump GS motors - but just too busy to make the 4hr drive each way and have to go into work tonight midnights..

Oh well...
Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Glennm27
NOW there's a guy that knows how to really have fun with his Corvette.
I'd like to think so!
Old 08-17-2012, 05:54 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by george vee

Get notified of new replies

To Busy Few August Weeks for my '11 GS (ALMS, HPDE, and Factory/Museum) warning lots pix

Quick Reply: Busy Few August Weeks for my '11 GS (ALMS, HPDE, and Factory/Museum) warning lots pix