C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little Help? Starting issue...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 12:06 AM
LovinAVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Help? Starting issue...

I've searched and read through for starting/cranking issues but cannot locate this answer, although I have a feeling and hope it is something simple. Went out this afternoon to take her for a spin, wouldn't crank but would do everything else - HID's fired right up and the a/c fan came on, everything like the car was running, but no bueno. Cycled it through several times to no avail, so finally assumed the Duralast battery that was on it when I bought it had bit the dust. Went and dropped $220 on a yellow-top Optima, fired her right up. The missus and I went into town and grabbed dinner, cranked back up fine, but stopped by store on way home and it did it again. Luckily I was able to fidget with it and finally got it spinning. So, looks like a prematurely spent $220 - although I really wanted an Optima anyway - and back in the same boat. Suggestions? And FWIW, this is my first C6, so take it easy on the new guy.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:14 AM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

could you add (edit) to posting, your car year/model/auto or std/any mods you have had done and approx when. its possible its the connection to the starter/solenoid.
Old 08-13-2012, 12:26 AM
LovinAVette
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyDave
could you add (edit) to posting, your car year/model/auto or std/any mods you have had done and approx when. its possible its the connection to the starter/solenoid.
Yep, that might help....my bad. 2005 auto, bone stock. 42k miles.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:28 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Definitely read this:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...oid-cable.html

That is, I bet you have a loose/corroded battery-to-starter-solenoid connection.

Other possibilities:

-- Corrosion on battery clamp/cables.
-- Loose clamp on battery terminal.
-- Incorrect terminal nuts on battery (they must be cone-shaped nuts or else the clamp won't tighten).
-- Brake microswitch is misaligned/damaged/faulty (you should hear a clicking sound when pressing the brake).
-- Faulty starter switch.

Of course, I'm assuming you're pressing the top-half of the starter switch (the bottom-half engages the ACC mode).

Let us know what finally fixes it for you.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:24 AM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

checked under the hood of my c6 2008 c6 m6..the solenoid looked good but i wiggled the bat cable and it wiggled the nut assembly... not good...BYW have ARS headers and that was not the cause as i have heat shielding in place.... wonder about the amp draw of a dewitt double fan and big *** radiator.. had the disconnect plug to the fan melt on the inside last year or so.

i am doing the solenoid change today.... had the intermitant starting issue last week.. the forum discussions were all very simular and enlightening.... Fracking starter ..

wondering if the post is overheating from the excessive output of the alt..what about rerouting the alt wire to the postive post at the fuse box.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:35 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

op hasn't been back on in two mos re this issue, so presumed it's solved.

Get notified of new replies

To Little Help? Starting issue...

Quick Reply: Little Help? Starting issue...