C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

COW BOOST AND TUNE 30 day review

Old 08-14-2012, 10:09 PM
coupe4life
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smooth72
Why do people who have never experienced something themselves, feel they need to have a negative commit. Or they may have heard from a friend of a friend, or they read a post on another web site that said they heard bad things. I enjoy my tune and cow boost every time I drive it. To all na-sayers, try it, if you don't like it Chuck will remove it and refund your money. Then you will be able to post your a actual experience. There is a good chance if you give it a open minded chance you will be very pleased.
+1 on actual experience,I drove all the way from Maryland to Chuck in New York and I'm VERY please with the results,so like the OP say don't knock it if you haven't tried it.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn672
It if the pedal is 100% down, it gives you the proper amount of throttle opening, yes? So this only appears that you have more power when the pedal is less than 100%.

I think part of the issue is that every single one of your comments reads like a bad advertisement, one I might see on a commercial at 3am or in the back of a free paper...

Is he really saying this "booster" improves MPG & performance?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Why do people who have never experienced something themselves, feel they need to have a negative commit. Or they may have heard from a friend of a friend, or they read a post on another web site that said they heard bad things. I enjoy my tune and cow boost every time I drive it. To all na-sayers, try it, if you don't like it Chuck will remove it and refund your money. Then you will be able to post your a actual experience. There is a good chance if you give it a open minded chance you will be very pleased.
I've experienced the same thing from the Cobb AP I slapped on my old 335. Each map had a different throttle response. It's just feel, not more power or better MPG.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:25 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,210 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by Never-Enough
I've experienced the same thing from the Cobb AP I slapped on my old 335. Each map had a different throttle response. It's just feel, not more power or better MPG.

No, you haven't...and besides how'd you even know when the throttle was down your old 335.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:43 PM
RULEMKR
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Whatever it does; I like it.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,096 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by RULEMKR
Whatever it does; I like it.
I like the booster and my hwy mileage is the same, oh I had Chuck do a very aggressive tune, that I recently had him ramp up more
Old 08-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by shawn672
It if the pedal is 100% down, it gives you the proper amount of throttle opening, yes? So this only appears that you have more power when the pedal is less than 100%.

I think part of the issue is that every single one of your comments reads like a bad advertisement, one I might see on a commercial at 3am or in the back of a free paper...
No Offense, ... when I first read your post it seemed negative.
But the more I read it, it seems more like a question about the Booster, followed by an observation about the way Chuck arranges/words his posts.
Others have mentioned his posts and don't seem to like it and /or look at it as a negative and look past the actual information he's trying to get across.
Or maybe not

When you say " So this only appears that you have more power when the pedal is less than 100%. " ...
Actually No, it does not "appear" to have more power when the pedal is less than 100%.
It actually Does have more power when the pedal is less than 100%
But, the Booster doesn't Make more power than the engine already has, it allows access to a higher % of power "already there" without pushing the pedal down 80% of the way to access it.

The Booster puts throttle percentage response progressively and evenly in relation to the actual position of the pedal start to finish.
Yes, it's been said, if I want 100% throttle, just push the pedal farther down and don't need the Booster.
And yes, with or without the Booster, 100% throttle is still 100% throttle.

But in stock form as explained in Chuck's post, the throttle response is Not equal percentage wise to pedal position start to finish.

I'm not sure how many notice how mushy the pedal response is in stock form.
All my GM vehicles are/have been like this and other Brand vehicles I've driven are pretty much the same.
My Escalade is/was terrible until I put a tune in it and yes ... I realize we're talking a Tune here and not about the Booster.
It is a lot better and much more enjoyable to drive because more power is made with the Tune.
Even though throttle response is better, it's still not equal in relation to the pedal position start to finish regardless of the extra power.
All things being equal, Most of the power still isn't accessed until the pedal is down about 80% or more.

As a comparison, I don't notice it as much in the Vette in stock form compared to the Escalade in stock form.
I'm sure it has a lot to do with the power to weight ratio in the Vette, ... but it is still noticeable.
Mostly when getting on the throttle heavy but not 100% and then trying to give it just a little more trying to accelerating a little more.
Instead of just accelerating a little more, it takes off like crazy.
Again it's because the throttle opening % does not follow the pedal % position equally from start to finish.
It lags behind 80% of the way and then comes on all at once in the last 20% of pedal travel.

In stock form, 35-40% throttle response is not reached until the pedal is close to 80% or more of its full travel.
So with the pedal 80% down, there's only 20% pedal travel remaining to control the top 60% of throttle remaining before it reaches 100% throttle.

The Booster distributes actual throttle response more Equally start to finish with the pedal position.

Now where did I put that bottle of Crown Royal
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hawkgfr
No, you haven't...and besides how'd you even know when the throttle was down your old 335.
Yes, I have, but thanks for that well thought out rebuttal. One of the parameters the Cobb AP messed with was the throttle response. I could pick a map that gave me more power with little pedal use or one that didn't kick in with a lot of power till 3/4 throttle, etc.

Same premise as the "amazing cow booster"
Old 08-15-2012, 10:48 AM
AlfredMay
Racer

DIF,

That is the best explanation of the COW booster I have ever read. Without the hoopla of trying to sell something, you have allowed me to understand the product. So as I see it, the COW Booster makes a non linear throttle, more linear. By doing this, the throttle is much more controllable in the upper power band of the engine.

I can see a down side to this. While cruising at a steady speed, it will be more difficult to maintain an exact speed because a slight increase/decrease in pedal position will apply more/less throttle opening than stock.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:53 PM
FreddyG
Le Mans Master

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Is the "Booster" a tune that goes into your computer or an add-on device?

I ask because going into the pcm could void warranty, while a piggy back type plug in could be taken off before service.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

well, if COW ever shows up in Montucky, I'll have him do mine

My Lexus had a button that did the same thing. I never had it "off".

Old 08-15-2012, 01:56 PM
jbomx363
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interested in the 3MPG gain! How so?

And.. I see a lot of A6s raving...how is it with the M6?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Guinnessboy
here we go again
Goin' down the only road Ive ever known!

These questions are ones you will answer without trying.

Do you like being Sandusky'd?

Willing to bet the answer is no and guess what, you havent tried it.

Have an open mind and there is a chance you will be very pleased. hahahah

I havent tried it and answered like you...NO. lol

Originally Posted by jbomx363
Interested in the 3MPG gain! How so?

And.. I see a lot of A6s raving...how is it with the M6?
Interested myself.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by AlfredMay
DIF,

That is the best explanation of the COW booster I have ever read. Without the hoopla of trying to sell something, you have allowed me to understand the product. So as I see it, the COW Booster makes a non linear throttle, more linear. By doing this, the throttle is much more controllable in the upper power band of the engine.

I can see a down side to this. While cruising at a steady speed, it will be more difficult to maintain an exact speed because a slight increase/decrease in pedal position will apply more/less throttle opening than stock.
You're Welcome and glad it made sense

As for the down side, it is something that's been mentioned before but it's not quite like that.
Long story short, Chuck can adjust the aggressiveness for more or less response.
Some that have the Cow Booster posted Chuck adjusted it to their liking after the initial install .
Some wanted it more aggressive, and others less.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM
bill K
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I must say it really is not like that, once you get use to the instant reponce it becomes natural. I sometimes wish I had gone more aggressive, but then I realise I am just getting use to the the way it responds. There is no problem maintaining any speed you desire. At first I was breaking the tires loose at take off, It takes a little to get the feel of instant power. I now would never go back.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I'm still waiting for an explanation from Chuck - or one of his satisfied customers - about how the Booster has been "proven" to increase gas mileage by 10% or more. I understand changing throttle response, but doing that and claiming a 10% MPG gain sounds like snake oil or patently false advertising to me.

Have any of you with the Booster experienced that kind of gas mileage increase?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:47 PM
shawn672
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dif
You're Welcome and glad it made sense

As for the down side, it is something that's been mentioned before but it's not quite like that.
Long story short, Chuck can adjust the aggressiveness for more or less response.
Some that have the Cow Booster posted Chuck adjusted it to their liking after the initial install .
Some wanted it more aggressive, and others less.
As Alfred said, thank you again Dif for explaining in detail what the programmer cannot/will not. Your description of the feature was clear and precise about what it is, and now it makes sense. I hope CoW starts using your description to better explain his service :/

My questions may have been poorly worded but they were only questions. Thank you for reading it several times. It was not meant to be negative, just trying to clear up something that was coming across as a poor 3am infomercial...

Get notified of new replies

To COW BOOST AND TUNE 30 day review

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

My E46 M3 had a button for this increase response too. I found it easier to drive the car in regular mode vs the increase throttle position increase. It played out as a novelty thing and after a short while went back to not using the button.

I can understand why some would like it but most I think will find it annoying.

Having said this I have no experience with this in the C6.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Chuck tuned my C5 a few years ago (among other things, new rear etc) and even on a MN6 I noticed a fantastic difference...

I havent had Chuck do this on my C6 yet...now that he has the booster plus tune, it might be time for me to give the C6 a little more giddy up...

My experience with Chuck has always been great...hes customer service oriented, has a TON of knowledge and runs an overall great shop....

Old 08-15-2012, 05:20 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Why would you risk voiding your warranty for such little gains?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: COW BOOST AND TUNE 30 day review