C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Battery dead locked out

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,955 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

gotta luv the comments above.

to mr. silverton: I guess it goes something like Clint said---"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?"
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
gotta luv the comments above.

to mr. silverton: I guess it goes something like Clint said---"You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?"
Well, do ya punk?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never gave it a thought! I've never taken the keys out of any of our cars when around this area. Nobody has ever had a car stolen! In the bigger cities I'm sure it is an issue and I lock car when traveling. I haven't driven the vet in a week and just wondered if the fob in the car made any difference to battery charge level when not driven.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Originally Posted by Silverton34
Never gave it a thought! I've never taken the keys out of any of our cars when around this area. Nobody has ever had a car stolen! In the bigger cities I'm sure it is an issue and I lock car when traveling. I haven't driven the vet in a week and just wondered if the fob in the car made any difference to battery charge level when not driven.
There are places in this country where people are murdered for their car!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Originally Posted by rcallen484
There are places in this country where people are murdered for their car!!!
Oh I'm quite sure there are, fortunately not here or I probably wouldn't be here. I'm only worried about my battery, not bad guys.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Oh I'm quite sure there are, fortunately not here or I probably wouldn't be here. I'm only worried about my battery, not bad guys.
WAYYYYYYYY off topic, but read "In Cold Blood" by Truman Capote. True story of grisly multiple murders (an entire family) over a robbery by ex-cons in a place like where you live.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:55 AM
Knob Jockey
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Leaving the fob in your car has no effect on either the fob or the car's battery.

But you should get a battery tender/maintainer if you don't have one already.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:11 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by doubledime
I have a 2012 Vert and the battery is dead and I'm locked out. Were is the key slot?
If the battery was allowed to go dead several times, at the dealer, before you bought the car, it could be bad and not able to hold a charge. Have the dealer check the battery and give you a new one under warranty, if bad. If the battery is good, give it a good charge, and then use a float charger if the car is going to sit for more then 2-3 weeks between drives. I use the float charger sold by Harbor Freight that they have on sale for around $7(reg ~$13) and it works great. I use the Harbor Freight float chargers on my 09 Z06, my 56 and my 64 and on my riding mower.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
Now that you're in it may be time to read that owners manual.
Hey!! Probably- no one has ever told ya- us guys don't read manuals or ask directions. Just ask your SO...........
Old 08-11-2012, 10:58 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by su8pack1
Now that you're in it may be time to read that owners manual.
These cars have lots of features and do lots of things that you won't ever know about unless you read the manual. Check it out sooner rather than later. I agree with those that say it'll probably save you some embarrassment and even some money down the road.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Actually READ the directions? Not likely!

You guys have gone and made me paranoid. I went out to the garage and took the fob out of the Vette. Now what do I do with it, I don't have any pockets!? I'm gonna lose it for sure.

I'm going to put it in the cup holder of the Silverado daily driver and hope the bad guys don't find it.

Last edited by Silverton34; 08-11-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:15 PM
CoachB72
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mom has a New Toyota Venza that went dead after 4 months. Took it back to the dealer and they told her that by leaving her Fob in the car all the time that the car was constantly searching for it and over time it would drain the battery so she quit leaving it in the car. Who knows????
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Actually READ the directions? Not likely!

You guys have gone and made me paranoid. I went out to the garage and took the fob out of the Vette. Now what do I do with it, I don't have any pockets!? I'm gonna lose it for sure.

I'm going to put it in the cup holder of the Silverado daily driver and hope the bad guys don't find it.
I leave my FOB in my bedroom when I'm not using the Z06. I put it in my pocket when I go to the garage to get the Z06 out for a drive on the weekends. Just curious, where do you put your wallet?

Speaking of wallets, I suggest you stop by a locksmith shop and have him cut a B-106 key blank(made for the Saturn), that doesn't have the thick plastic handle, and carry it in your wallet. A bunch of us keep our second FOB hid inside the car(without the battery installed) so that we have a backup means of getting home if we lose the primary FOB.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-11-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by CoachB72
My mom has a New Toyota Venza that went dead after 4 months. Took it back to the dealer and they told her that by leaving her Fob in the car all the time that the car was constantly searching for it and over time it would drain the battery so she quit leaving it in the car. Who knows????
The C6 system does not search for the FOB until you activate the system by pressing on the door membrane pad, push the button to open the trunk/hatch or push a button on the FOB. Then the car wakes up, and looks for the FOB.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I leave my FOB in my bedroom when I'm not using the Z06. I put it in my pocket when I go to the garage to get the Z06 out for a drive on the weekends. Just curious, where do you put your wallet?

Speaking of wallets, I suggest you stop by a locksmith shop and have him cut a B-016 key blank(made for the Saturn), that doesn't have the thick plastic handle, and carry it in your wallet. A bunch of us keep our second FOB hid inside the car(without the battery installed) so that we have a backup means of getting home if we lose the primary FOB.
Good point about a spare key!

If I left the fob in my bedroom I would have to make a second trip in the house to get it. There is no chance I would remember it the first time.

My wallet is in the Silverado, along with the fob, and the Silverado keys, unlocked.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Looking back 19 years, I remember retraining my brand new wife to not take the keys out of her car in the garage. I didn't want to have to go in the house and dig through her purse looking for the keys every time I needed to move her car or wash it. She had been living in st. Louis at school for six years and had to lock her car there. I'm WAY too used to the Midwest and a town of 4,000 people.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Good point about a spare key!

If I left the fob in my bedroom I would have to make a second trip in the house to get it. There is no chance I would remember it the first time.

My wallet is in the Silverado, along with the fob, and the Silverado keys, unlocked.
I originally made a typo on the spare key number. It is B-106.

I'm 70, so I make quite a few second and third trips because I can't remember a darn thing.

Do they let you drive your Silverado into the grocery store, restaurant, movie theater, etc or do you take your wallet with you and leave the truck in the parking lot. I can't imagine anyone not having a pocket in their pants, unless you carry a purse.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP Battery dead locked out

Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

I am wearing gym shorts this week and only started using crutches Thursday. I was in a pretty bad bicycle wreck last Sunday and had surgery on my thigh (quadriceps) Sunday night. I'm stuck with the Internet for entertainment for several more days. pretty tough with a new stick shift Vette in the garage with 150 miles on it. Will probably be three plus weeks till I can drive it.

Yea, the wallet stays in the truck cup holder untill I need it. And that is rarely in the house.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:41 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

I am wearing gym shorts this week and only started using crutches Thursday. I was in a pretty bad bicycle wreck last Sunday and had surgery on my thigh (quadriceps) Sunday night. I'm stuck with the Internet for entertainment for several more days. pretty tough with a new stick shift Vette in the garage with 150 miles on it. Will probably be three plus weeks till I can drive it.

Yea, the wallet stays in the truck cup holder untill I need it. And that is rarely in the house.
Hope you get to feeling better, soon. Last Oct I had shoulder(right) surgery that kept me out of the Z06. When it got to feeling better, we were in the middle of winter. Didn't drive the Vette for 7 months.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Hope you get to feeling better, soon. Last Oct I had shoulder(right) surgery that kept me out of the Z06. When it got to feeling better, we were in the middle of winter. Didn't drive the Vette for 7 months.
Seven months! Ouch, I should have a good fall season and get a few miles on it. I am not supposed to drive anything yet, Vicodin has been my friend.

I will have a five month winter layup for the car. I do have a heated garage so I can mess with it for the winter. A garage in this climate with heat, floor drain, beer fridge and cable tv really makes the winter go by much faster.

Quick Reply: HELP Battery dead locked out