C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any one else use a Water deionizer

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Hmm, interested. Costco.com shows it at $429.99, was the $369.99 an in-store price?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:12 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought my CR Spotless water system on July 7,and it was $369.99,Costco online.I used to use the Mr.Clean system but it was ineffective.There were so many water spots that I could not see out the windows!I usually wash my black work truck every morning.One thing I have found was to use as little house water as posible.I only wet the areas that I am going to wash.First I soak an area,waSH IT AND MOVE ON,soak another area,wash it and move on.When I am done washing I do not rinse with house water!I only rinse with the CR.I do not have a master blaster,but,I do have a big Kawasaki leaf blower.Good Luck! CR is worth the money.I bought mine from Costco on-line.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 AM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigKitty
i bought my CR Spotless water system on July 7,and it was $369.99,Costco online.I used to use the Mr.Clean system but it was ineffective.There were so many water spots that I could not see out the windows!I usually wash my black work truck every morning.One thing I have found was to use as little house water as posible.I only wet the areas that I am going to wash.First I soak an area,waSH IT AND MOVE ON,soak another area,wash it and move on.When I am done washing I do not rinse with house water!I only rinse with the CR.I do not have a master blaster,but,I do have a big Kawasaki leaf blower.Good Luck! CR is worth the money.I bought mine from Costco on-line.
If you can wait till labor day is may go on sale,,,
Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by unixcorn
I edited the post so it makes more sense, hopefully.
DI water has near-zero ions which makes it more chemically active than tap water. To use it throughout the plant, we had to purchase special plastic piping and connectors. Normal PVC or Iron pipes would dissolve or corrode with DI water. I googled DI water and read some about it. Pretty interesting.
He is right. I am an engineer in the semiconductor industry, and there is a lot of DI water used in these plants. Essentially, water is a solvent, the purer the water is, the more potent the water is as a solvent.

Water absorbs materials as it acts as a solvent. These materials are in the form of ions. Fully deionized water is so "active" as a solvent that given time it will dissolve stainless steel and aluminum. I don't mean corrode these things, I mean literally dissolve them. I have seen DI water eat holes in these systems, it is much more "active", as one guy put it, than normal water which is already filled with the dissolved material that it has come into contact with.....normal water.

I don't know what effect it will have on your car, but I don't think I would use it after what I have seen at work. Maybe, however, the purity of the DI systems in our factories is much better than a costco system, or maybe it is not really DI water coming from the system.....just clean water.....and you won't have any issues, at all. Personally, I would consider distilled water, which has been purified through distillation, or some other form of filtered water for my use.

Last edited by AV8ForFun; 08-11-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM
AV8ForFun
Racer

Originally Posted by dun4791
no, he's correct. water is non conductive. DI water is measured by conductivity.
Actually, normal water is conductive and truly De-ionized water is not conductive. This is what it is used for. Many of the systems where I work use it as a coolant in electrified, high voltage systems. The DI water does not conduct, so there is no arcing. However, eventually, th DI water eats the seals out of the systems, and will even dissolve the aluminum tubing that it is running through.

Measuring the conductivity of the DI water is a measure of its purity, the more pure it is, the less electricity it will conduct, because pure water is non conductive, and normal water, which isn't pure, is conductive.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Safety Car

Good advice.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:58 AM
pahlbfishn
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it's worth, I use rain water collected from my barn roof to do a final rinse on my vehicles. It's free and it never leaves any spots even if left out in the hot Texas sun to dry. I pump it into my pressure washer and only takes about 3-4 gallons to do a complete rinse with no spots. Texas rain water has no acid in it so it works great. Keep 5 barrels full to make sure I don't run out between rains which has been rare lately.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:06 AM
BigKitty
Drifting

Keep it simple,just buy the CR system.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:15 AM
owebo
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '16

Originally Posted by PittMD1
Do you need to have the system connected to soft water supply or will it work with hard water?
It will work fine with hard water...it will just have to be 'cleaned' more frequently.....

The soft water has the same Jon content as the hard water, just different ions, it's all the same to the DI system.

Hope that helps...l
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Thrash
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts
Tech Contributor

I used to, but tired of buying new cartridges, so now I blow it dry with a reversed shop-vac. The DI did work great though ...
Old 08-11-2012, 09:56 AM
dun4791
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AV8ForFun
Actually, normal water is conductive and truly De-ionized water is not conductive. This is what it is used for. Many of the systems where I work use it as a coolant in electrified, high voltage systems. The DI water does not conduct, so there is no arcing. However, eventually, th DI water eats the seals out of the systems, and will even dissolve the aluminum tubing that it is running through.

Measuring the conductivity of the DI water is a measure of its purity, the more pure it is, the less electricity it will conduct, because pure water is non conductive, and normal water, which isn't pure, is conductive.
exactly, not as eloquent as you but my point.

EDIT..DI is extensively used in my line of work as well

Last edited by dun4791; 08-11-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:37 AM
lsbrodsky
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I find this whole conversation baffling. Educated in chemistry and having worked most of my life in the nuclear power industry, I can say that water chemistry is complicated. But, there is absolutely nothing in DI water that will ever hurt the plastic of our Corvettes. Not even the metal parts. The corrosion in air is completely different than corrosion in water, such as filled pipes. This is complicated by the oxide or mineral coating that can form on metals and by other dissolved substances in water. Pure DI water has nothing dissolved in it and is unlikey to pick up much stuff in the run through your rubber hose to your sprayer.
The minerals in tap water cause spotting and removing them through distillation or deionization will give you a spot-free rinse. You can only do harm to your wallet by installing and using a DI system.
Larry
Old 08-11-2012, 04:56 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by owebo
It will work fine with hard water...it will just have to be 'cleaned' more frequently.....

The soft water has the same Jon content as the hard water, just different ions, it's all the same to the DI system.

Hope that helps...l
Mine is 3 years old and the original resin is still good. No spots. It comes with extra resin from costco
Old 08-11-2012, 08:55 PM
SupremeDeluxe
Safety Car

Received 849 Likes on 475 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I have the Costco system as well, and have used it extensively the past 5 years. I also have a water softening system in my house, and the hose water runs through that system as well.

The CR system works excellent, my only complaint is that I do change resin twice a year at $90 a shot, but compared to the aggravation of removing water spots from my 67 or my dark-colored daily drivers, it is a small price.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:59 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Resin should be cheaper..
So should print cartridges

They get you on the come back.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
guysair11
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great color choice Speedraider!
By the way I have very hard well water and a very bad back from too many years working in a trade so any work savings on my baby is OK by me. I do miss working more on her than I'm able to now but such is life.

Last edited by guysair11; 08-12-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: did not finish before sending it in

Quick Reply: Any one else use a Water deionizer