C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 cags?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 AM
davek
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davek
new to the C6....

I'm looking for a CAGS solution that turns off the light
and disables the 1-4 forced selection.

my understanding is that the pigtail solution doesn't work for 2013?

does any of the fuse solutions solve the light illumination?
Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Yes really. I bought a cags eliminator and it's sitting in the console. By the time I had time to install it, I learned I don't need it.
WOW really?
I was being facetious,
reading is fundamental
and you didn't read my post

I said I was looking for a CAGS solution,
not how to ignore the 1-4 lock out.

my reasons aren't so much for myself,
as I obviously searched and knew the
throttle answer you provided.

my request for a CAGS solution is such
that when I lend my car to someone
unfamiliar with the throttle required
to bypass the 1-4 shift, they wouldn't
find themselves in a panic in traffic.

for those that did answer,
thanks, the fuse it is!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Just give it more throttle and you wont have any problems. After getting use to the car, I almost never notice the cags kicking in.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 AM
steig
Drifting

Received 231 Likes on 197 Posts

I was being facetious,
reading is fundamental
and you didn't read my post

I said I was looking for a CAGS solution,
not how to ignore the 1-4 lock out.

my reasons aren't so much for myself,
as I obviously searched and knew the
throttle answer you provided.

my request for a CAGS solution is such
that when I lend my car to someone
unfamiliar with the throttle required
to bypass the 1-4 shift, they wouldn't
find themselves in a panic in traffic.

for those that did answer,
thanks, the fuse it is!
Looking to do this this on my 2012. Fuse it is for me also,
Old 08-11-2012, 02:57 PM
91ZR1
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Guys,

Please bear with me on this .

I understand the part about placing a smart fuse on the trans. slot (#10)

What I am confused about is the comment regarding the Batt.

Is this done at the same fuse panel?. And, is the purpose to "blow" the smart fuse before placing it in the trans. slot?

TIA for the help with this. The last thing I want to do is screw up my new car!
Old 08-11-2012, 04:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by 91ZR1
Guys,

Please bear with me on this .

I understand the part about placing a smart fuse on the trans. slot (#10)

What I am confused about is the comment regarding the Batt.

Is this done at the same fuse panel?. And, is the purpose to "blow" the smart fuse before placing it in the trans. slot?

TIA for the help with this. The last thing I want to do is screw up my new car!
You want to blow the fuse before you install it. Best to connect the clamps from your battery charger to the fuse, and then plug the charger in, just for the split second it takes to blow the fuse. Then install the blown fuse in the fuse holder. Fuse slot #10 is hard to locate in the fuse box. Most people end up installing it in slot #8, thinking that is slot #10.

Last edited by JoesC5; 08-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:12 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a new 2013 Z06, and have never experienced it. I'm not sure it has cags ............... I seldom use second gear, shifting 1-3 instead; I wonder if that is why?
Old 08-11-2012, 04:27 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
I have a new 2013 Z06, and have never experienced it. I'm not sure it has cags ............... I seldom use second gear, shifting 1-3 instead; I wonder if that is why?
Nope, it wouldn't let you go to third, only fourth. You must just have a heavy foot.....
Old 08-11-2012, 05:16 PM
91ZR1
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Got it.

Thanks joesC5!

John
Old 08-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Deceptikon
Racer

Yes really. I bought a cags eliminator and it's sitting in the console. By the time I had time to install it, I learned I don't need it.
You will get used to the car and learn to apply the correct throttle pressure, this will bypass that pain in the --- CAGS system.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:31 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

I am picking up my new 427 vert from MacMaulkin on monday and supposedly they have installed the cags lockout switch for me before delivery.

any idea why the cags does not work on the 2013 models? I have not heard that before?
Old 08-11-2012, 10:55 PM
Ken Erickson
Racer

Originally Posted by bearphoto
I am picking up my new 427 vert from MacMaulkin on monday and supposedly they have installed the cags lockout switch for me before delivery.

any idea why the cags does not work on the 2013 models? I have not heard that before?
Most likely reason would be that they changed the solenoid at the tranny which has a different resistance than the older models. The computer is looking for a particular voltage reading across the solenoid inputs. It energizes the solenoid to engage the 1-4 shift gate. When it doesn't see the voltage it expects it throughs a CEL.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:44 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by milt IV
I have a brand new CAGS eliminator waiting to install as that is what I used on my '07 coupe but if it doesn't work on the '13 then I will need to do the "blown" fuse method.
I could bet my house absolutely nothing changed in that regard in the last year of production. And if the 'blown fuse' works, the CAGS eliminator would work as well; same principle.

The better solution is the CAGS eliminator folks, since you physically disconnect the solenoid, and it'd NEVER engage inadvertently, like it sometimes happens with blown fuses.

And to the guy that loans his car, just tell whoever drives it about that; talk about making a storm out of a glass of water . Besides, the worst that could happen is that person shifts to 4th, like all other stock cars; what's the big deal? And yes, the best solution is NOT to let anybody drive your Vette .

Last edited by JCtx; 08-12-2012 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:25 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

WOW really?
+1

6 LTx/LSx motor cars in my history and I only did the CAGS eliminator on number 1, a 1995. After that I realized that just a fraction more throttle and I'd never hit the CAGS.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:32 AM
k wright
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What has changed that prevents a CAGS eliminator from working? I have one on a 08 Z06 and plan to put one on my 13 ZR1.

Many thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Ken Erickson
Racer

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I could bet my house absolutely nothing changed in that regard in the last year of production. And if the 'blown fuse' works, the CAGS eliminator would work as well; same principle.

The better solution is the CAGS eliminator folks, since you physically disconnect the solenoid, and it'd NEVER engage inadvertently, like it sometimes happens with blown fuses.

And to the guy that loans his car, just tell whoever drives it about that; talk about making a storm out of a glass of water . Besides, the worst that could happen is that person shifts to 4th, like all other stock cars; what's the big deal? And yes, the best solution is NOT to let anybody drive your Vette .
Carefull what you bet with, you might lose and I wouldn't mind owning another home.

You don't what those of us that have seen with our own eyes what does and doesn't work with regards to the cags eliminator and the '13 models.

Disconnecting the solenoid would be the best solution if the eliminator works but it doesn't, or at least it doesn't on my '13 and I've tried two different versions.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:30 AM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

Originally Posted by Ken Erickson
Carefull what you bet with, you might lose and I wouldn't mind owning another home.

You don't what those of us that have seen with our own eyes what does and doesn't work with regards to the cags eliminator and the '13 models.

Disconnecting the solenoid would be the best solution if the eliminator works but it doesn't, or at least it doesn't on my '13 and I've tried two different versions.
+1

When I bought my 2004 there were plenty of surprise changes in the "last year" of the C5 and LS1 that didn't match up with the older cars. The thermostat housing is one that surprised me after pulling it apart.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM
MA ZO6
Burning Brakes

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Will the blown smart fuse work on a 2010 Grand Sport? I have a old CAGS from my 2007 ZO6 but if I don't have to crawl under the car I would just assume buy a smart fuse and be done with it.

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 cags?

Old 08-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Disconnecting power also eliminates the reverse lockout, does it not? (it's one fuse/power supply circuit for both solenoids)?
Old 08-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

new to the C6....

I'm looking for a CAGS solution that turns off the light
and disables the 1-4 forced selection.

my understanding is that the pigtail solution doesn't work for 2013?

does any of the fuse solutions solve the light illumination?
Why wouldn't it work on a 2013? It the same manual transmission they have used for years.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:27 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 914 Likes on 576 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Ken Erickson

Well, you're right I haven't seen it, and I still don't get it. How does the solenoid force a 1-4 shift if it's disconnected? Please explain exactly what happens when the CAGS eliminator plug thingy "doesn't work" on a '13 model.

Quick Reply: 2013 cags?