C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Navigation Systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Can you give some details on that, generic enough that I can include them?

After market Nav units also replace the factory stereo as both the nav system and stero come together in the new head unit which replaces the OEM headunit. The after market unit will have a better over sound quality and in all most all cases after market units will have iPod, iPhone, interface, will be capable of using SD card inputs, cd, DVD. The after market unit will also have more external inputs and outputs allowing for the installation of external amps and speakers. Aftermaket units are the hardest to install they require some experience or professional installation.

Hope this works for you.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:47 PM
white90conv
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

One problem I had with the factory NAV that nobody mentions is glare. There will be severe glare on the screen when the sun comes from certain directions and the information cannot be seen. This would apply to all buit-in screens. The aftermarket units can be turned to eliminate this problem.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Drumz68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav

I felt the stock nav system was just not user friendly. I have since installed a Kenwood system with Garmin nav and it as easy as it comes to use and is more accurate than any nav I have ever used. The install is involved due to all the interfaces required but the ipod and bluetooth is very handy. In my opinion, its nice to have one unit that can do just about everything as opposed to having an external nav mounted somewhere in the car or having to use your phone...just my 2 cents.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:43 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Locally (in the 9203 sq mi county) I use my Garmin, because it's almost always just simply an address that I need to locate.

When I'm on road trips, I take the Garmin and a current (within 5 years) road atlas, state maps, city maps, a laptop with a GPS based nav+ program, a notebook computer to access Google Earth, a cellphone with nav and wireless tethering to the notebook, my HP Tuners interface, and now my most recent addition of a 1954 (pre-interstate) road atlas.

I pretty much pre-plan the basic routes, but sometimes find myself a couple of hundred miles off course. Most states have a visitor welcome center near the border on main highways with nearly any map and main attraction within the state. Those places seem to have a habit of altering my direction, but they do supply additional navigational aids. Sometimes they are staffed with state employees or volunteers who will quite often have personal first hand experiences of places and things that aren't found anywhere else.

A GPS nav system is all about the destination.
Paper maps, brochures, computers, and especially conversations with people along the way of your travels, are about the journey.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06RL
1. New C6 with Nav
2. Never had a nav system
3. Can't figure the darn thing out
4. Too confusing
5. Back to using paper maps
1. Good choice.
2. Not a problem.
3. READ THE MANUAL!
4. Read Talon90's how-to on this site, search the stickys.
5. Work at it, give it a chance.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
For those people trying to decide what nav system(s) to use in their C6, I've compiled the following list of features based on my experience. Please read it and tell me what changes you would make on the list

I'm not interested in anyone's "the xxx unit really sucks" comments, they all have issues and each person has different needs and preferences. Just tell me what I need to add to the list to make it complete.

Here we go:

C6 NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMPARISONS v 1.0

If you have a C6 Corvette, there are many different navigation systems you can use to help find your way around the country. After using most of them for a while, here are my observations:

C6 Factory Nav: Easy to buy, no installation problems, covered by 3/36 and GMPP warranties, projects turn/distance data onto HUD, mutes music for voice directions, many features, highly theft resistant.
But- expensive to buy/update, repairs not convenient, unless a cutout switch is installed can only enter first page of Previous Destinations while moving, non-intuitive to use, requires mod to install backup camera, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Aftermarket In-Dash Nav: Cheaper to buy/update, usually easy to use, allows entries while moving, most will accept backup camera, may have many other nice features.
But- Requires separate purchase, installation not simple, improper installation can cause other problems, dealers sometimes want to blame any electrical issues on aftermarket unit, shorter warranty, repairs not convenient, no information on HUD, may not mute music, features and reliability vary with brand/model, sometimes more easily stolen, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Garmin, etc: Cheap to buy/update, easy to use, allows entries while moving, portable, easily replaced.
But- Smaller screen, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, needs power wire, shorter warranty, no information on HUD, does not mute music, invites theft/broken windows if left visible, not easily wired to backup camera, can look “cheap”, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Cellphone Nav: Easy to buy, up to date maps, may be easy to use, allows entries while moving, may have many features.
But- Small screen, no information on HUD, must be removed/replaced from your belt each time you drive/exit, shorter battery life or needs power cord, aftermarket apps may be unreliable/expensive, harder to mount in visible/fixed location, voice directions can be hard to understand and don’t mute music, most won’t work if you don’t have cellphone coverage, after an accident/crime you may not be able to find your phone, invites theft/broken windows if left in car, sometimes produces goofy routings.

Paper Map: Cheap, portable, good for trip planning, gives you the “Big Picture”.
But- Can be dangerous to use while moving, requires you to determine your current location, scale is usually too big or too small, no POI information, may need to order in advance for long trips.

You will note that I have listed "Sometimes produces goofy routings" as a characteristic of every unit (except paper maps). In my experience, all of them do it sometimes. All of them can't find a particular address sometimes.
Magellan has a GPS unit that has a camera hook up in the rear plate area with red light camera detector.
Garmin is advertising some new traffic system that's digital and is suppose to be alot faster than the traffic reporting system Garmin has used in the past.
I would be curious to know do the above units really do what they claim or is it just marketing/wording with these new type of features..
After owning numerous Garmin Nuvi GPS units, Magellan and Tom Tom, They all have their little quirks. Not 100% accurate But I found Magellan to be most user freindly. The Tom Tom was least user friendly. Garmin was most expensive with all kinds of bell n whistles. The Magellan was reasonably priced and easy to use.

Last edited by LS WON; 08-10-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:22 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Locally (in the 9203 sq mi county) I use my Garmin, because it's almost always just simply an address that I need to locate.

When I'm on road trips, I take the Garmin and a current (within 5 years) road atlas, state maps, city maps, a laptop with a GPS based nav+ program, a notebook computer to access Google Earth, a cellphone with nav and wireless tethering to the notebook, my HP Tuners interface, and now my most recent addition of a 1954 (pre-interstate) road atlas.

I pretty much pre-plan the basic routes, but sometimes find myself a couple of hundred miles off course. Most states have a visitor welcome center near the border on main highways with nearly any map and main attraction within the state. Those places seem to have a habit of altering my direction, but they do supply additional navigational aids. Sometimes they are staffed with state employees or volunteers who will quite often have personal first hand experiences of places and things that aren't found anywhere else.

Paper maps, brochures, computers, and especially conversations with people along the way of your travels, are about the journey.
Don't forget the free coffee and in most cases, extremely clean rest rooms .................
Old 08-10-2012, 07:14 AM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drumz68
I felt the stock nav system was just not user friendly. I have since installed a Kenwood system with Garmin nav and it as easy as it comes to use and is more accurate than any nav I have ever used. The install is involved due to all the interfaces required but the ipod and bluetooth is very handy. In my opinion, its nice to have one unit that can do just about everything as opposed to having an external nav mounted somewhere in the car or having to use your phone...just my 2 cents.
Does your car have the HUD and if so does the Kenwood display directions on it?
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

C6 Factory Nav: can only enter first page of Previous Destinations while moving or 6 preset "Home" destinations. Will control both the nav functions and audio system with voice commands. Displays a cool Corvette logo when turned off. Will increase resale value of car depending on buyer. Has multiple antennas for better GPS coverage.

Aftermarket In-Dash Nav: May increase or reduce resale value of car depending on buyer.

Garmin, etc: Can become a deadly missile in spirited driving, evasive actions, or accidents. Can determine routing at your leisure indoors.

Cellphone Nav: Requires expensive data plan if you don't already have it for other uses. Can become a deadly missile in spirited driving, evasive actions, or accidents. Least reliable GPS reception other than paper maps.

Paper Map: Can determine routing at your leisure indoors. Can be used in an emergency to build a signal fire.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Don't forget the free coffee and in most cases, extremely clean rest rooms .................
With Krispy Creme donuts too.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:23 PM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 545 Likes on 333 Posts

Wish I could find someone locally to give the 15 min. needed to learn everything. I'm too dense to read the book.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:40 PM
Bradl1982
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 9 Posts

I never had a problem with the nav in my 08. I put in the address and it took me there. Even worked in Germany when I finally found a european nav dvd. I do see how it could be confusing to old folks who have trouble programming their television remotes and working the microwave but luckily that's not me. The only reason I didn't like the stock nav was because it was old and it showed it's age. The resolution on the display was horrible and the graphics were't all fancy like newer nav systems.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
99Z51
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority. I like the factory nav. I have used in dash aftermarket (Pioneer), Garmin, and iPhone (VZNavigator, Google) with varying degrees of success. The factory nav took some getting used to, but it has always got me to my destination and the HUD integration works well. With the iPod interface, all angles are covered.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Pioneer x series nav love everything about it!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

We've got some thread drift here, the original idea was to see what items I should change on the good/bad feature list.

Some of the comments have been valid but basically re-state something already on the list.

The purpose of this thread is to inform people about the characteristics of different units, not to prove that one is "best" or "worst". Here are the things folks have mentioned, that might be changed to make the list more accurate:

1. The factory nav will accept voice commands. But don't most of the aftermarket units also?
If so, no need to change any of the lists for a feature that everyone has.

2. The factory nav will continue to calculate position for a few minutes after losing the GPS signal, like in an underground garage. My Garmins don't seem to do this, how about others?

3. Factory nav has 6 "preset" destinations, available while moving, in addition to p.1 of Previous Destinations..

4. Early years of the factory nav don't have bluetooth or an aux (Ipod, etc) input. I get the impression most aftermarket in-dash units do, correct? Older ones, probably not.

5. Someone claimed an aftermarket in-dash unit will provide better music quality, but others have said the speakers are the problem. Comments?

6. Aside from the factory unit, some (but not all) will provide real time traffic info. The few comments I've heard have been critical, people said the traffic info is usually inaccurate or missing. Comments?

7. Same thing about red light cameras and fixed speed cameras, but with better performance reported.

7. Someone said a garmin will allow connecting a backup camera, is that correct? Common?
Old 08-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by HOXXOH

There is more to life than just finding the fastest route.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:41 PM
NOMRW8NG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2. The factory nav will continue to calculate position for a few minutes after losing the GPS signal, like in an underground garage. My Garmins don't seem to do this, how about others?
I'd add to this that the factory unit also remembers where you were when you shut off the car. So if you've parked indoors, when you start the car it knows where you are and which direction you're facing (unless of course you've moved/towed the car with the ignition off) and can begin the route calculation immediately. My experience with portable units like the Garmins is that it first needs to acquire the satellites.

Get notified of new replies

To Navigation Systems

Old 08-10-2012, 04:55 PM
FlyerVette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been reading this for a while now and it seems there are two major reasons many don't like the factory nav. 1. Not intuitive thus tough to use and learn. and 2. Not being able to input addresses while moving. And addressing (no pun intended) that issue, is there a way around that?

Last edited by FlyerVette; 08-10-2012 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
An aftermarket unit like the Garmin sitting atop the dash is more line of sight, or "heads-up" than the factory NAV which sits much lower.
Originally Posted by saplumr
Unless of course you have HUD.

So much easier to follow the nav turns and far less distracting in the HUD windshield display than any of the top of the line Garmins I own and have owned.

The Garmins are simpler to use and are designed to be operated by a grade school child but not nearly as sophisticated and capable as the factory nav unit is.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

We've got some thread drift here, the original idea was to see what items I should change on the good/bad feature list.

Some of the comments have been valid but basically re-state something already on the list.

The purpose of this thread is to inform people about the characteristics of different units, not to prove that one is "best" or "worst". Here are the things folks have mentioned, that might be changed to make the list more accurate:

1. The factory nav will accept voice commands. But don't most of the aftermarket units also?
If so, no need to change any of the lists for a feature that everyone has.

Most after marker units accept voice commands.

3. Factory nav has 6 "preset" destinations, available while moving, in addition to p.1 of Previous Destinations..

4. Early years of the factory nav don't have bluetooth or an aux (Ipod, etc) input. I get the impression most aftermarket in-dash units do, correct? Older ones, probably not.

Yes all most all in the last few years do.

5. Someone claimed an aftermarket in-dash unit will provide better music quality, but others have said the speakers are the problem. Comments?

The in dash unit will improve sound over the OEM but to get the most improvement most replace speakers at the same time to get the biggest improvement.

6. Aside from the factory unit, some (but not all) will provide real time traffic info. The few comments I've heard have been critical, people said the traffic info is usually inaccurate or missing. Comments?

Most high end after market units provide this service I have no experience with it.

7. Same thing about red light cameras and fixed speed cameras, but with better performance reported.

7. Someone said a garmin will allow connecting a backup camera, is that correct? Common?

Here are my Comments.

Quick Reply: Navigation Systems