C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Situational awareness

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 04:34 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Situational awareness

A while back there was a thread regarding radar dectors. Some one said something like you have to have "Situational awareness" to help avoid speeding tickets. That stuck with me.

Saturday evening my wife and I had one of the best rides since I owned the GS (Prescott AZ - Wickenburg AZ). We were on the flat straight road back toward Phoenix driving along and my 9500ix starts screaming. I tapped the brakes fast but it was all over by that point.
72mph in a 55mph zone. The officer was extreamly kind to drop my speed to 65 in a 55 and let me off with a "non moving offense" so no points on my license and only $60 compared to $288 it would have cost me.

I was not trying to get away with driving fast I just suffered a momentary bout of optical rectitus. The point of all this is if there is not traffic in front of you stay in reason of the limit.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

maybe so. maybe it is "situational awareness," altho I must admit I'm not sure what it means.

I'd say something a bit different. be aware of what a radar detector can and can't do, as well as human limitations compared to a radar or laser "gun."

if you are traveling 15 but more likely 20 mph over the limit, the chances of braking down to a non-offense speed (say, 10 over) is not high, or good. go 25 or 30 over, and if that "gun" of whatever type is aimed at you and has been either off, or on stealth mode, even with Mario's response time, your response time may not/will probably not be good enough. that's my kind of awareness and yes, it does come from experience.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

That's why I use the cruise control whenever it's practical, especially on the 55 MPH roads between towns and the 70 MPH interstate. I've usually got it set for about 5-7 MPH over the limit.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:46 PM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

The radar detector is just a tool. Having situational awareness is very important. We have all had incidence where we loose track of our speed...in those instances a RD can really help. I was on a long trip and used my cruise (5-7 over the speed limite). I got off to get gas and jumped back on the highway. Less than a mile later my V1 went off and I saw that I was doing 15 over the limit. I slowed down, missed getting a ticket and put my cruise back on. Point is, you don't have to try to be going fast, a good RD is great to have by your side but nothing can save you all of the time...go fast enough...long enough...you will get a ticket.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sometimes it pays to be a LEO or "former" LEO... I'm NOT saying that I have gotten a break, but just as the OP said be "situational aware" i.e have a good idea "WHERE" a LEO would park to catch speeders...

Example.. if you are going on a straight road say the limit is 65 mph and you are going "UP" a long hill there is very good chance a LEO "MIGHT" be just over the crest and "zap" you as you go over the top of the hill...

Or if the center divider is mowed grass, but you see a big bunch of brush, or trees 1/2 mile ahead, there is a good chance a LEO might be on the other side of those trees...

Basically you have to think like a LEO and its hard to do if you haven't been in his/her shoes...

If your on a straightaway, and see a big sweeping turn ahead... "SLOW DOWN" ... It something you have to "CONSTANTLY" think about unless you have cruise control set to 68 mph..

YES I SPEED... but I have a good idea where a LEO "MIGHT" be just by looking at the layout of the road.... and I can't count how many times I've slowed down just because I "GOT A FEELING" and sure as s**t there WAS a LEO using radar just over the hill or just around the curve.... I might sound repetitive, but if you are going more than 10-15 mph over the limit, the only thing you should be thinking is "WHERE CAN HE HIDE"

I guess I'm giving away insider info one word if your over by 15 mph.... THINK"
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by PittMD1
A while back there was a thread regarding radar dectors. Some one said something like you have to have "Situational awareness" to help avoid speeding tickets. That stuck with me.

Saturday evening my wife and I had one of the best rides since I owned the GS (Prescott AZ - Wickenburg AZ). We were on the flat straight road back toward Phoenix driving along and my 9500ix starts screaming. I tapped the brakes fast but it was all over by that point.
72mph in a 55mph zone. The officer was extreamly kind to drop my speed to 65 in a 55 and let me off with a "non moving offense" so no points on my license and only $60 compared to $288 it would have cost me.

I was not trying to get away with driving fast I just suffered a momentary bout of optical rectitus. The point of all this is if there is not traffic in front of you stay in reason of the limit.
You are absolutely right...best to keep a rabbit in front of you...and many times it is easy to wait for some rube who is clueless and wants to pass you. Let him go and then hang a quarter mile behind him. Only time to go fast without a rabbit is when you can see the entire road...

Last edited by cclive; 08-06-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM
glenB
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09 & '12, '14

Originally Posted by jpee
Or if the center divider is mowed grass, but you see a big bunch of brush, or trees 1/2 mile ahead, there is a good chance a LEO might be on the other side of those trees...
Them sneaky som'britches...

They do that alot between Bradenton and Naples on I 75, mostly southbound
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

In my case the LEO was coming at me and waited until he was close and pulled the trigger. Normally if I had been paying attention I would seen the car coming and checked my speed but I was to busy telling my wife why you have to be aware of your situation.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

My method is the "luck" method. I speed at select times in select areas. i dont like to look out for cops it takes the fun away. i just like to pretend they don't exist.

Last edited by forg0tmypen; 08-08-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

A while back, I was rushing to an appointment....come around a bend and 'blam', the detector went off..

There was a LEO standing by a tree with a hand held radar....he had me dead to rights...about 20 over...and he simply smiled...I remember the sh*t eating grin vividly...and waved at me!....

He let me go!

To this day, I don't know why...but I slow down around long, sweeping turns....situational awareness!
Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Saturday I was on my way to a party and started to open the car up through 2nd and 3rd and thought better of it.....bam. The next hill was a copper just waiting.

My friend and I laughed and both said that for some reason we have slowed down at times when we wanted to go fast in our cars or on your bikes and its a good thing because a cop was waiting to bust someone.

Like said, look for places where they can hide.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by jpee
Sometimes it pays to be a LEO or "former" LEO... I'm NOT saying that I have gotten a break, but just as the OP said be "situational aware" i.e have a good idea "WHERE" a LEO would park to catch speeders...

Example.. if you are going on a straight road say the limit is 65 mph and you are going "UP" a long hill there is very good chance a LEO "MIGHT" be just over the crest and "zap" you as you go over the top of the hill...

Basically you have to think like a LEO and its hard to do if you haven't been in his/her shoes...

If your on a straightaway, and see a big sweeping turn ahead... "SLOW DOWN" ... It something you have to "CONSTANTLY" think about unless you have cruise control set to 68 mph..

YES I SPEED... but I have a good idea where a LEO "MIGHT" be just by looking at the layout of the road.... and I can't count how many times I've slowed down just because I "GOT A FEELING" and sure as s**t there WAS a LEO using radar just over the hill or just around the curve.... I might sound repetitive, but if you are going more than 10-15 mph over the limit, the only thing you should be thinking is "WHERE CAN HE HIDE"
I guess I'm giving away insider info one word if your over by 15 mph.... THINK"
Good to know but not exactly insider information....more like common sense. Instead of trying to 'outsmart' the cops I think a better solution is not to speed (on public roads) in the first place. You never know....my oldest son was once cited for going 5-over on a rural road. I doubt I would have been cited for the same "offense" but he was young and it was late at night. Keep it legal on the street and get your speed fix on a track. Go fast = no tickets.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:40 AM
Jayster_NM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Luckily in NM there are a lot of open spaces in which to see a long ways. If there is traffic ahead of me I can open it up. If a radar signal is detected it won't be me but a car ahead of me. I don't speed over hills or around curves or without traffic in front of me.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:53 AM
jonesaut
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled off an exit to make a phone call. What did I find. Two Leo's on the overpass clocking cars & trucks with four cars waiting to race down the ramps on either side. Saved me by making a phone call.

Last edited by jonesaut; 08-08-2012 at 08:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-08-2012, 09:07 AM
z28koda
Instructor

Screw situational awareness, the only way you can get a ticket is if you stop...
Old 08-17-2012, 01:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayster_NM
Luckily in NM there are a lot of open spaces in which to see a long ways. If there is traffic ahead of me I can open it up. If a radar signal is detected it won't be me but a car ahead of me. I don't speed over hills or around curves or without traffic in front of me.
This is a perfect example of situational awareness...the right way to use a detector. Good job. No LEO sits all day waiting for the one Corvette that is going too fast, they generally shoot every car or at least every first car.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
HalfMoon
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

In my case the LEO was coming at me and waited until he was close and pulled the trigger. Normally if I had been paying attention I would seen the car coming and checked my speed but I was to busy telling my wife why you have to be aware of your situation.
Been there, done that.

On the way home from Las Vegas that happened to me. You should have seen the dust cloud he made doing a 70mph yank-turn across the dirt median. It was worth the fine just to see him pull that move in my rear view mirror, as if he never touched the brakes before making he u-turn.

Get notified of new replies

To Situational awareness

Old 08-17-2012, 02:28 PM
designerRob
Safety Car

It happens to most of us some time or another.

10 over is no points and only $60? DAMN!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:03 PM
rsssguy
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

99 percent certain the quote is from my previous post. Don't want to start a pissin contest as I know this is fodder for endless debate and discussion. Detectors are a waste of money. Any one month rookie has been taught by his FTO that yah just don't turn it on and wait. Any competent Leo can guess ur speed before he turns on in within 5 mph before he turns it on. Higher speeds more difficult but ya know their flyin. My best advice is hope the Leo owns a Vette and has a high degree of understanding. As far as only getting a ticket only if you stop. Good luck with that. It's almost a game guys. When u try and beating the leo's at their game and lose,which will happen by the way, what's next? Oh, by the way kind sir, you spent 600 on a detector to tried to outsmart me and it didn't work out. Well then, I guess I will just give you a warning so you can try next time. Radar detectors = automatic ticket in almost every scenario. Some good advice has been offered here. I suggest you follow it or pray they own a Vette.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM
C6Whatever
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I fine it hard to keep from having a heavy foot on long straight roads with no traffic. If I don't set the cruise I would be in trouble

Quick Reply: Situational awareness