C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Dealer Fees"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Tom45
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

If the dealer tells you up front he will charge a 'fee' of x dollars, where is that lying to a customer, slipping in extra fees, or being unethical or shady?

It may be nuts on the dealer's part, but none of what you say is true.

If you don't like the dealer's price, you walk.
I agree with you that if a dealer gives you a bottom line price, you can either accept it, counteroffer or walk away. That is the way it should be.

I was referring more to earlier posts in this thread that included experiences such as the dealer and buyer agreed upon a price and then the dealer put additional fees in the contract. Perhaps hoping that they would not be noticed, lost in the monthly payment calculation or the buyer thinking these are customary charges? This is the unethical part.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
shadowman1
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently went to help a friend of mine look at a new Scion FRS. Be fore we went I called ahead and asked someone what the doc fee was. I was told $110.00. When we sat down with a salesman after looking at the car I asked him what the doc fee was. He said $225.00. I asked him if he was sure about that because I thought it was $110.00 and lo and behold he pulled a writeup out of his desk and confirmed it was $110.00. I hate to be lied to. We went to another dealership and ordered the car she wants.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:59 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom45
I agree with you that if a dealer gives you a bottom line price, you can either accept it, counteroffer or walk away. That is the way it should be.

I was referring more to earlier posts in this thread that included experiences such as the dealer and buyer agreed upon a price and then the dealer put additional fees in the contract. Perhaps hoping that they would not be noticed, lost in the monthly payment calculation or the buyer thinking these are customary charges? This is the unethical part.
Exactly. When the fees are used as a means of changing the purchase price after a deal is struck or to advertise prices at which the cars can't actually be bought, they become intentional ploys to mislead buyers.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 AM
z28koda
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I learned my lesson a few years ago as a 20 year old buying a truck at a "reputable" dealer. Blindly believed everything they told me to the point I walked out. I didn't realize how badly I had be screwed until a week later when they closed.

Now I just walk in, say this is what I'll pay, leave my phone number and walk out. Haven't had them not call me back yet.

Quick Reply: "Dealer Fees"