C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Dealer Fees"

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 12:09 PM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

The two fees that some dealers try to pull are a dealer advertising and Doc fee. They always pull this after you and sales guy/manager agree on the price.

They claim that they have to pay a fee for national or regional advertising. After I get done laughing I say how come you do not add a fee for garbage removal, lawn care, snow removal. That’s right there figured into to the price we negotiated, what you pay is your problem not mine, remove or I walk!

The doc fee is normally at the bottom of the contact and the box is preprinted with the amount. Now a $50 or close no big deal, but some of those doc fees go into the multi hundreds. I will pay a small fee if I have a great deal working.

In my state that fee is bullch*T anyway as all big dealers have a computer tied in to State Motor Vehicle and can do the whole document thing in about 5 minutes of banging on the keyboard. Anything over a $50 I cross it out and initial it as I sign the contract. A fee for new plates is legal as that rip off goes to the state and the dealer has nothing to do with it!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:42 PM
CMC1998
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Florida I think they try and get around the "DOC Fee" limitations by calling it a "Dealer Fee" For example, I saw a car listed at a Mercedes dealer that said " Price does not include $799 dealer fee". Later that week, I saw a Chevy dealer that was advertising, " And we only charge a $99.00 dealer fee"

A hundred bucs is one thing, but when they try and screw you to the tune of $800 its time to be prepared to leave.

Last edited by CMC1998; 08-06-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:03 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As some have said already, it doesn't really matter how they do the paperwork as long as the "out the door" "bottom line" is what was agreed upon. I do this for a living and always make sure those numbers are what is important. Whether I have a DOC fee or not will not change the final number, it just breaks down into different spots on the paperwork. Always negotiate the out the door price(and before trade).
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM
deecount
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C6Tim
I'm told that some states like Florida actually have a law concerning "DOC FEES".
Illinois has a "doc fee" law. I believe for 2012 they raised the maximum to $161.50. It stipulates that the dealership can charge from $0 - $161.50 for doc fees, but that it has to be the same for all customers. In other words, buying a car in IL means there will always be a doc fee with a car purchase, new or used. The best you can expect to do is negotiate a good OTD price which is all that matters anyway.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:32 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by dcarter0001
I always try to deal on the drive out price, the total price after all fees and taxes have been added. Compare this price with other dealers.
I do this also, but that doesn't stop the 'finance' department from attempting to add-on fees when the paperwork is being signed.

When I made my last purchase (not a 'Vette) they insisted on an extra $50 fee. After going back and forth with no apparent solution they called in the salesperson and I negotiated in a full set of all-weather floor mats (which I wanted anyway and were worth more than fifty bucks to me) in exchange for paying the $50 fee. If that hadn't worked, I would have walked and probably ended up not having to pay the $50 but I needed the mats.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM
C-INRED
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by deecount
Illinois has a "doc fee" law. I believe for 2012 they raised the maximum to $161.50. It stipulates that the dealership can charge from $0 - $161.50 for doc fees, but that it has to be the same for all customers. In other words, buying a car in IL means there will always be a doc fee with a car purchase, new or used. The best you can expect to do is negotiate a good OTD price which is all that matters anyway.
The government just has to try to make everything "fair" don't they? Heaven forbid that one person may be a better negotiator than another and make a better deal. Sheesh!

As you say, a savvy buyer can still just negotiate the total OTD price which really makes the fee moot. But by passing the ridiculous law the politicians can convince the gullible that they are protecting them, and therefore deserve their votes.

The problem with people believing that they are being protected by the government - especially the gullible ones - is that they become much more gullible and so likely get taken even more often because they let their guard down.

There is excellent logic behind "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer beware" and the further we stray from that principle the worse off we will be.

Last edited by C-INRED; 08-06-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
RBLUVETT
Instructor

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Buy from Tommy Jr at MacMulkin in NH and you won't have to worry about that. They don't have a dealer doc fee.

All of Tommy's quoted prices are 'out the door'.
I talked with Tommy today about a 427; I like the way he does business.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:36 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,221 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1952
I would only be concerned with the bottom line pricing; how they want to write it up is up to them.

THIS is all that matters...Don't just throw away a deal because you thump your chest and say no admon fee for me by george. You have to see all the picture.....You have to look at all the angles of the deal and look at the OTD price before you decide...

I've purchased 12 new cars from a dealer that always charges a fee...but the rest of the deal more than makes up for it, time after time after time..
Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM
snowman0920
Racer

Originally Posted by tonysrep
I placed my order with Ken here on the forum back in june , no fees, in fact he is including the dealer incentives that recently came out lowering the price another 1500 bucks..Last week I saw there's a credit union incentive which lowers the price another 500 bucks so at this point I'm two grand below the agreed price...can't beat that ....time to buy some accessories
You're paying a higher interest rate so they can give you back $500.
That's a good one.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 PM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Yet another scam by dealers to fleece people. The price is the price. Not: the price is the price and then we'll add in some extra money for ourselves just because we can.

If you buy from a dealer, agree to an out-the-door bottom line price that goes to the dealer (tax and title go elsewhere). If they try to jack you on the fee, walk.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Tom45
Pro

Originally Posted by snowman0920
You're paying a higher interest rate so they can give you back $500.
That's a good one.
As strange as it seems, you can get the $500 credit union incentive from certain dealers without using the credit union to finance the car. I got this discount and used the GM 0% financing.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 PM
fairlydangerous1
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1952
I would only be concerned with the bottom line pricing; how they want to write it up is up to them.
There is the key, call it what you want (dealer) but bottom line is only thing that matters.

Always go into the deal know how much you can and will finance, get pre-approved, how much your payment will be at what ever interest rate credit union offers if financing for said amount. If it used, in Arizona 98% change they got it at auction. Old guy trading this in is bunk. Example: I trade my Vette in and dealer says not worth more than 10k then week later they have it on their lot for 20k, I am not happy anymore with the trade, so goes to auction, another dealer buys it sells it for 20k everyone happy. your dealer gets on auction and gets a different one for 10k. They all work together in an independent way.

$2000 in fees means the actual car price is less.
All a game.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:42 AM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by fairlydangerous1
All a game.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 PM
snowman0920
Racer

Man... I never knew "profit" was such a dirty word. I'm sure all of you NEVER sell your products and services at a profit. After all, that would just be WRONG!
Old 08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Man... I never knew "profit" was such a dirty word. I'm sure all of you NEVER sell your products and services at a profit. After all, that would just be WRONG!
No one is complaining about legitimate dealer profit. It's the add on b/s fees being discussed.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:03 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by CMC1998
... I've noticed that dealers are now charging a "Dealer Fee" at the end of a deal. ... Anybody negotiate this out of their deal?
There's nothing to negotiate "out" of any deal. Fees like that just do not matter.

Compare 'out the door' prices (including taxes, any fees no matter what they are called, extra delivery charges or fees to get your car home, etc.) from as many dealers as you want. Then buy the car with the lowest OTD price.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
No one is complaining about legitimate dealer profit. It's the add on b/s fees being discussed.
Mike, screw worrying about add-on fees. Look for the lowest price OTD from several dealers, no matter what is included in that price. When you do that, everyone (especially the smiling buyer) is happy.

Get notified of new replies

To "Dealer Fees"

Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Tom45
Pro

I don't think that anyone wants to deny a dealer or any business a profit. The issue is how ethical you are in conducting that business. Slippy in extra fees in the contract, lying to the customer and other various shady dealer/business practices is where we really have an issue.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:54 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom45
... The issue is how ethical you are in conducting that business. Slippy in extra fees in the contract, lying to the customer and other various shady dealer/business practices is where we really have an issue.

If the dealer tells you up front he will charge a 'fee' of x dollars, where is that lying to a customer, slipping in extra fees, or being unethical or shady?

It may be nuts on the dealer's part, but none of what you say is true.

If you don't like the dealer's price, you walk.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Silverton34
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I was in the auto business we charged a $17 doc fee and took a lot of grief over it. Yes it went to profit but it is not much money. I always ask about dealer fees before even beginning negotiations so I know there will be no surprises later.

Quick Reply: "Dealer Fees"